Respected Contributor

Re: Do People Still Use Overhead Fans In Their Kitchens?

After kitchen renovation I wanted to replace overhead fan with fan and light over kitchen table. I used my old one all the time.  Hard to find something not too big with light.  We ended up with a fan that has short paddles.  I had doubts as to how it would work.  Its just as good as old larger fan. So helpful when oven on or lots of activity in kitchen.  Clean a couple times a year but not noticing much dust.

Honored Contributor

We have ceiling fans in bedrooms, and sitting rooms, but never one in the kitchen.  

If a fan is needed, we use the one over the stoves, it pulls air out of the house, rather than distributing it.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

The only fan we ever had in our kitchen was the kind that was installed up high on a wall, close to the ceiling. That fan was an exhaust fan where it would remove hot air out of the kitchen. It was great for when you burned something on the stove or in the oven...LOL! I remember how noisy that thing was.

Respected Contributor

When we bought our house, there were fans in every room except the bathrooms. The one in the kitchen was over our table and never worked. We didn't bother getting it fixed because I've never cared for air blowing down on me when I'm eating or cooling off my food. When we did our remodeling, we replaced it with a lovely light fixture.  We also had an exhaust fan installed over the stove (to replace the one that was already there) but I hardly ever turn it on because it's so loud (sounds like a Cessna getting ready for take-off) and the cats scatter and hide. Lol!

Regular Contributor

Couldn't live without my ceiling fans!

Outdated or not...I'll always have them.

Honored Contributor

Every home I've owned, 4 or 5 of them, has had a kitchen with a ceiling lower than the adjacent room.  This makes the room HOT when the stove and/or oven is on.  I consider a fan to be essential.  Mine is set to start automatically when the light turns on. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wagirl wrote:

would never put a ceiling fan in a kitchen---just another thing to attract greasy dust----and then fling it around--had a friend who had one in hers--was noisy and the light was a joke--she got rid of it when they remodeled-----

LOL, I would never have a kitchen without a ceiling fan. And mine is simple, it doesn't attract or fling greasy dust, I got one without the light, and it's so quiet I don't even hear it running. There is no good substitute for the shoulder seasons of spring and fall for a fan to circulate the air in the kitchen. 

Honored Contributor

I have an overhead fan in my kitchen and it's a very nice addition on especially hot days.

it has nothing to do with removing smells or exhaust, for anyone who might be confusing the two. That's quite separate, and is, i think, required by code.

if you do replace yours @cuddlesmama , and there's no reason you shouldn't if you like and use yours, make sure the installer doesn't accidentally give you blades that are hard to clean. I wish mine had smoother blades. They'll be replaced soon. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

In our old home we had ceiling fans in all of he bedrooms and in our kitchen, but in our new home, we only have ceiling fans in the bedrooms, they are upstairs! I really don't miss my fan in the kitchen like I thought I would. The way our house is laid out, we get a lot of cross ventilation so it doesn't seem to be a problem.

All fan blades get dirty and have to be cleaned off periodically, especially kitchen fans, but I never found it to be that bothersome.....

Trusted Contributor

I just have the fan over the stove and it has always worked great for my needs!