Super Contributor

Re: Do I need a mat to put under exercise bike?

I have a full home gym in my finished basement (treadmill, bike, elliptical).  All the machines sit on carpet, and I do not use a mat under any of them.  The carpet is fine, no indents, etc.

Honored Contributor

All moving parts on exercise equipment needs lubrication from time to time. When you take this into consideration along with 'machine dust' from wear  that gets created from using those machines, this can make a very nasty black goo which can drop down to the surface beneath the machines. Having a mat will prevent this black goo from reaching your floor. I would get the mat.

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for answering. There were a lot of interesting points made for either getting a mat or not. I'm still thinking about buying one, but if I do, think I'll look for something cheaper than the one the Q has. Again, thanks for the advice.

Honored Contributor

My exercise room has hardwood floors. I have mats under both my elliptical machine and treadmill. I just didn't want to put permanent dents in my flooring in case, years from now, that room ceases to be used for exercising.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, there are cheaper options at Walmart, Target and probably whatever sporting goods store is still open than what the Q is offering that will do the job.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

All moving parts on exercise equipment needs lubrication from time to time. When you take this into consideration along with 'machine dust' from wear  that gets created from using those machines, this can make a very nasty black goo which can drop down to the surface beneath the machines. Having a mat will prevent this black goo from reaching your floor. I would get the mat.

This.  I have a Tony Little Gazelle that I use in my bedroom which is carpeted.  I never put anything under it.  One day I went to fold the machine up and there was black "grease" all over my ivory carpeting.  I could not get that out so now my carpet has this black everywhere.

Now everytime I use that machine I just put a beach towel down first and fold the machine out over it.  But my carpet is ruined.