Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do Curbless Showers Give you the Blues?

Gorgeous bathroom!  My DH says the floor in the shower probably tilts a little to the drain. 

Honored Contributor

Its too busy for me, I would need different tile and flooring, and I don't think I would want curbless....

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

Love this except I'd have a white ceiling instead of blue tile and paint and probably a curbed shower.

@Bridgegal 

I agree. 

Trusted Contributor

I’ve had to stay at the hospital more than once and it was in the newly built addition. They did these open kind of showers, I assume to accommodate wheelchairs, if necessary. I’d lay a large bath towel out but no matter what I did, I had water running out into the middle of the floor. It was an absolute mess and worse, seemed dangerous. 

What I have in my bathroom makes more sense. I have a large walk-in tiled shower. Picture an upside down L. You walk in and shower at the lower part of the L. The water is contained there. 

Honored Contributor

My sister has a bathroom with a shower like this.....no edge/step/rim. She had it done that way specifically because she is 80 and figures at some point she might be using a walker or wheelchair, and this will make it easier to go in and out. The water all goes directly to the drain (as it would in any shower) that is away from the rest of her bathroom. Water does not go out into the other part of her bathroom. Imagine it would if there was a clog.

When she and I took our father on a cruise to Alaska, he had a bathroom with a similar looking shower, but much bigger. He could wheel himself in and out of the shower quite easily. 

Esteemed Contributor

I like this bathroom.  I read it’s tricky to get the slope right when building these types of showers.  Nonetheless, I would like one if done right.

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

I like this bathroom.  I read it’s tricky to get the slope right when building these types of showers.  Nonetheless, I would like one if done right.

It's not tricky, it's just a bit more involved. You would typically use a mortar bed in a room like this for the tiles. You establish the drain height and then slope the floor a quarter-inch per foot to the drain. There's some math involved but it's not rocket science.

You need the subfloor to have been designed in a manner to accommodate the weight and height of the mortar. If the longest space from the edge of the floor to the drain is ten feet, then the mortar bed there has to be 2.5 inches thick. (A quarter-inch per foot.) If the subfloor is kept at the same height in the bathroom and adjoining area then there would be a step up to get into the bathroom, so you need to lower the subfloor so the mortar bed, tile, and whatever other layers you have are the same height as the finished floor adjacent.

That means either using a smaller structural member (not a good idea considering the weight involved but can be done by decreasing the spacing between each member,) or using a stronger structural member in the space but setting it lower. There's likely an impact on the space beneath such a bathroom as the larger/stronger structural members are likely to intrude downward into that space, so you need to keep that in consideration when designing/building such a bathroom.

Setting the mortar bed at the right slope is fairly routine once the math is all done. It's largely just the same as setting the slope on a garage floor to ensure water drains away from the garage. Some of these bathrooms now use a trendy long slot drain, called linear drains rather than the typical round drain we're used to seeing. These slot drains can look like an ungrouted section of tile and all but disappear if you're using a dark grout. Many come in stainless steel or other finishes also. (Try to avoid getting one clogged though. They're not so easy to clean out.) 

It's all fairly easy to do and really isn't that different from a normal shower. Most people leave a puddle or puddles when they step out of a normal shower so water on the bathroom floor isn't a disaster. These types of floors are just made to drain the water away. With no need for shower doors or enclosures, there's a cost savings that likely offsets the higher cost of installing such a system.  

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Contributor

I built a home in 2018 and we put a curbless shower in our master bath. I have a regular shower curtain because after living with glass shower doors for awhile they are horrible to keep clean. Plus, if the curtain gets soap stains I put it in the washing machine and everything is clean.  Sometimes the water leaks on the surrounding area but it is easily moped up.  I also have a free standing tub that I rarely use.  I love the curbless shower as it is easy to clean.  It is also wonderful if you have a health issue as you don't have to step up and if you need a sitting bench it can be placed in the shower too.

Honored Contributor

In addition to a custom glass enclosure being hard to keep clean, they can be insanely expensive to have built and installed. It's not hard to spend $5,000-$10,000 on the glass enclosure for a single large shower.

I watch Enes Yilmazer's YouTube house tours and some of the glass shower enclosures in those homes likely cost more than my house. (Well, more than my car anyway.) Granted these are $10+ million-dollar homes as a rule but even then spending over $10,000 to enclose a shower is a bit crazy to me. Just make the whole bathroom a wet room and there's no need for them. Design it right and you save a lot of money.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

The first time DH and I saw curbless showers was in hotels in Italy.  One of the first rooms we were given had this and I got us moved the next day.  The water just got everywhere and I wasn't going to deal with that.

I was told it was "quite common" there, for the shower to be like that. 

As for this one, I love that shade of blue, but it's overkill for me.  The floor would definitely have to be changed and I'm not sure about the ceiling (since you can't see much of it).

Yes, I had that happen to me in Europe too...made a big water mess on the floor & I had to use extra towels to sop it all up..  

And if you have hard water, good luck keeping that tile clean!  That blue will show up water spots very easily. You really need to squeegee it & go over it all with a microfiber cloth after every shower. 

My water is really hard & my glass doors will eventually get pitted from the mineral deposits so I wipe it all down immediately.  That clear rubber thing along the bottom  edge gets funky real fast so you have to wipe all along that too.

My next shower will just have a curtain!