Honored Contributor

Do Any of You HAVE or Know About the Cooling Mattresses?

I'm interested in these but: Do they smell?  Are they cold in winter?  Do they hold up well?

THANKS for any insight you have!

Honored Contributor

Re: Do Any of You HAVE or Know About the Cooling Mattresses?

In case you haven't already discovered it, here's an excellent article on cooling mattresses. 

https://sleepopolis.com/best-mattress/best-cooling-mattress/

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

A few years ago I found a 1" lambswool mattress topper at Overstock and purchased it.  I love, love, love it.  I was surprised to learn that not only does it eliminate pressure spots, but it keeps you cool.  The inch of wool is natural and lets air move through it.  I put it on top of a memory foam mattress and saved it.  We had a Stearns & Foster and to me, it was not worth a nickel.  I would wake up in a hole and hot!

Look at the toppers.  Lots cheaper than mattresses.

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

A few years ago I found a 1" lambswool mattress topper at Overstock and purchased it.  I love, love, love it.  I was surprised to learn that not only does it eliminate pressure spots, but it keeps you cool.  The inch of wool is natural and lets air move through it.  I put it on top of a memory foam mattress and saved it.  We had a Stearns & Foster and to me, it was not worth a nickel.  I would wake up in a hole and hot!

Look at the toppers.  Lots cheaper than mattresses.

@Zhills  Funny because today I just told my better half that I was looking at a wool topper/pad from Cuddledown and was going to get one this fall.  But it keeps you cool too???? HMMMMM!!!  I'll have to think about that!  THANKS!  A LOT!   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

When you sleep on the inch of wool it is like a "honeycomb" it's not "solid" like foam.  Yes, it is comfortable all year.  It helps you maintain your own body temperature while sleeping.  I was amazed at the difference.  Overstock takes returns so you could try one out!

Overstock is a lot less expensive than Cuddledown.  Can't really compare for quality.  I've had mine at least 4 years and it is still 1" high and comfortable.

Respected Contributor

Sooner, natural fibers breathe-I am sure you have seen the verbage for men's clothes boasting "tropical weight wool". It does what it says.....No disrespect meant @Zhils, bbut I would worry about cleaning.... between MS (which I may or may not have), diabetes and menopause....well, how do you clean it????

I can deal with wool stuff as a knitter: it must be dried naturally and measured, but a mattress cover????

A PS@Sooner, I have two "summer weight" comforters from them. They are indeed assembled on demand-and according to them, I was buying the top of the line at that time. B.S....they are serviceable for Florida weather, but the "crunchiness" persists, and at $500 per comforter, I thought it was a great deal/ investment etc.....not! I found out later, that was not their "best"-it was cheap compared to their top!!!!

They are expensive, but Sleep Number offers a controllable topper. We have a Tempurpedic at our primary, and I bought a topper for it at the time of purchase.....that was about 10 years ago. It did not rely on technology as far as electricity is concerned. I don't even know if they make them anymore, but their products may be worth exploring.

Please let me know what you decide on,

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do believe it is washable.  With a sheet and PJs it doesn't get dirty.  You could vacuum to refresh.

Before all these Super-Bugs in medicine, my daughter was a nurse and they used lambswool pads for patients who had extended stays in the hospitals.  Now everything is sterile and disposable.

From Overstock description:

"The Denali DownUnder Supreme Sleeper mattress topper allows you to get a more restful sleep, and keeps you cool in the summer and warm in the winter. This topper has four elastic straps to hold the pad flatly and firmly on your mattress. The wool pile is 1.25 inches thick to conform to your body, allowing you to sleep more soundly and wake up refreshed. It helps to maintain optimal body temperature, resists dust mites, mildew mold and water, washes easily in your washer on wool settings, line dry only. 

Features

• Made of wool and polyester
  • Hypoallergenic
  • Machine washable
  • Carried in Twin, Full, Queen, King, California King

Dimensions

• Twin: 39' x 75' x 1' 
  • Full: 54' x 75' x 1' 
  • Queen: 60' x 80' x 1' 
  • King: 76' x 80' x 1' 
  • Cal King: 72' x 84' x 1' 
Honored Contributor

@Zhills @Poodlepet2 @Kachina624

Thanks to all for an interesting discussion!  I will check these out--have been interested in the wool for years.  Neither me nor hubby are in love with the memory foam, so this should be interesting!

THANKS again!

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

A few months ago, I purchased a Simmons Beautyrest, Silver, Luxury, Firm, Queen mattress. It's actually medium/firm - and it has that cool effect. Great, comfortable mattress - and I like it cool (not cold). I also purchased 2 pillows from Costco - which also sleep cool.