Trusted Contributor

Re: Disinfecting a Wooden Table?

@CherryHugs wrote:

@mimomof4   You have a right to your opinion BUT this person was at Many Homes during this day and was touching the table/ as well as having all their stuff all over this table.

They did Blood pressure, height, weight and temp too so that was some touching of many other people as well as just me!

@CherryHugs You aren't comprehending that it isn't the TOUCH that you should be worried about.  If you have paid any attention to the research for the past 6 months or mre you would understand that COVID isn't being transmitted through touch unless you are touching an object right after that person sneezed or coughed on it, you need a certain amount of active viral load.  I would be more worried that you had someone close enough to you to take blood pressure and a temp than whether or not they were touching anything in your house.  I expect that both of you had masks on.

I find it crazy that people freak out about visually seeing someone touch an object but don't think twice when they go out in public and touch an object after many people have already touched that same object.  This is the fear I'm talking about which is thanks to the media.

Respected Contributor

I certainly agree that you have the right to clean and disinfect any area that a stranger may touch.  Yes, that person is also breathing all over the furniture and in the room and spreading droplets if not wearing a mask.

We do not let anyone in the house right now--we have held several (paperwork) meetings on our covered front porch, and we set up a plastic table and chairs that can be easily cleaned.

I love all my (antique) wood furniture! I have cats who jump all over the place, so I have to clean the furniture as well.  I would say a gentle washing with a soft cloth with just a little of a very mild soap and then wipe it down and pat dry.

Most wood furniture has been varnished to protect the surface, so it is unlikely anything can really penetrate deeply.

You could also lightly spray the whole room with Lysol and that would kill any germs. 

Some people are also buying those special UV lights to use in rooms to kill germs as well, but it is too risky for me as I have too many pets, and cannot keep an eye on them all the time, and the UV lights have health hazards if exposed.

Always better to be safe than sorry, no matter what others may say!

Trusted Contributor

From the beginning it has been stated that washing with soap and water kills the virus, which is why they emphasized washing your hands.

We all know the coronavirus spreads through person-to-person contact when an infected person coughs, sneezes, speaks, sings, or even breathes.  But in the beginning it seemed that it was possible to get COVID-19 by coming into contact with a surface that someone touched.  That led people to vigorously wipe down their light switches, scrub their groceries, and horde cleaning supplies  But as researchers learned more about Covid-19,  they found the surface issue has essentially gone away.   Per the CDC there is a less than 1-in-10,000 chance of catching Covid-19 from surfaces, according to a Monday updated.  The CDC has made clear that COVID-19 is a respiratory disease transmitted mainly through human-to-human interaction.  Just wipe down your table like you normally would and let it dry.    

Esteemed Contributor

Use one of those UV lights that are on the narket for disinfecting . ShopHq has those Debrows on 24/7 selling them

Respected Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

@CherryHugs wrote:

@mimomof4   You have a right to your opinion BUT this person was at Many Homes during this day and was touching the table/ as well as having all their stuff all over this table.

They did Blood pressure, height, weight and temp too so that was some touching of many other people as well as just me!

@CherryHugs You aren't comprehending that it isn't the TOUCH that you should be worried about.  If you have paid any attention to the research for the past 6 months or mre you would understand that COVID isn't being transmitted through touch unless you are touching an object right after that person sneezed or coughed on it, you need a certain amount of active viral load.  I would be more worried that you had someone close enough to you to take blood pressure and a temp than whether or not they were touching anything in your house.  I expect that both of you had masks on.

I find it crazy that people freak out about visually seeing someone touch an object but don't think twice when they go out in public and touch an object after many people have already touched that same object.  This is the fear I'm talking about which is thanks to the media.

Well people don't seem to want to know some things. When some hear no more mask mandates they think that means people are forced not to wear masks. People just hear what their favorite tv personality tells them and will hear nothing else. Truth is I never bought into the fact that we had to wipe everything down. If we could get the virus that way with all the packages, mail and things we get delivered I believe everyone would have been exposed to it. It's pointless because people just won't hear it. 

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

@CherryHugs  The Clorox wipes label states that they are "Safe on Finished Wood".

image.png

@Desert Lily 

Great to know!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Did he and you wear a mask? As far as cleaning the table ,soap and water, then dry with a cloth.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CherryHugs    I would think you could spray it with Lysol and wipe it with a clean dry cloth immediately.  You never want to get the wood very wet.  It might be best to keep a tablecloth on it if you have guests.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I decided to just leave the table and not clean or disinfect. After about 3 days used it again lol. 

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller