Respected Contributor

Re: Dishwasher powder or pod recommendation?

I like Kirkland from Costco.

Super Contributor

I agree......Kirkland works nicely
Esteemed Contributor

I use only Cascade or Finish gel.

Valued Contributor

I use the gel, Everyday Living brand, from Kroger. It is really good quality. I've used it several years with zero problems. I had tried other "big" name brands before with nothing but issues in almost every wash (stuck on food, stains on flatware, gummed up detergent dispenser, etc.). That is in several different houses with different dishwasher brands, new and old. I love this stuff and won't use anything but these days. When Kroger I shop most often is out of stock, I will drive to a different Kroger to purchase it. I try to keep backups on hand.

Esteemed Contributor

I use Costco gel. We put a new dishwasher in our the beach house and when they were installing it they told us not to use the pods because they gum it up. They said the calls for dishwasher repairs have almost tripled since those pods became so popular. I have used those in the past but to be honest, I don't find it so much more time consuming to use the gel.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I just went to the Finish website and looked at frequently asked questions. You're not supposed to unwrap the packets. You're supposed to leave the wrapper on. It dissolves when the water hits it.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Contributor

I use Finish All-in-1 Powerball® Power & Free™ tablets. They clean gently with hydrogen peroxide and contain less of the chemicals of the other tabs. Less etching on glassware and still cleans great. I get it at Walmart.
Highlighted
Contributor

not very name brand attached but we use nothing but finish tabs that include the jet dry ball in it.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/4/2015 gidgetgoeshawaiian said: I just went to the Finish website and looked at frequently asked questions. You're not supposed to unwrap the packets. You're supposed to leave the wrapper on. It dissolves when the water hits it.

Thank you gidget,

I had read the thread a few minutes ago and thought,,,,,,,, WHAT-??

I had use Cascade powder since my mother-in-law told me `that was the best`, so I continued on until the disherwasher finally went `ta boot.

My new one is a Bosch. [IT] came with the FINISH Quatum pods! Never in my entire lifetime, having a dishwasher, have I ever cleaned out any filter or had any filter agent to use, ** -> to do(?? this).

I am not a guru on kitchen appliances but thought (when reading the thread and postings) why would a name brand appliance even experiment, damaging the machine. BUT......I try to learn something every day. I use the gel drying liquid for a separate flip which ( I suppose) does as well in drying. I have use the powder wash in Cascade that was here afer the new dishwasher arrived, though.

Question: Is there really that much of a BIG difference from Quatum over to the store name brands?

I did know about 'not using the citrus' cleaning ......anything.

Also, there is a once -a- month SUPER cleaner liquid, that is sold by Finish, that rids all or any oils, et cetra. Actually, my dishes are rinsed well with hot water before they are put in the dishwasher
I HAD NEVER HEARD OF THE POD HAVING TO BE OPENED UP BEFORE USING.

SOUNDS DANGEROUS............SO SOMEONE WHO KNOWS MORE THAN ME -PLEASE EDUCATE.

_NAES

Respected Contributor

There are different types of Finish, I use the Powerball. Here are the instructions for the Powerball directly from the Finish Site. These have a foil type wrapper.

How do I use Finish® All In 1 Finish® Powerball® Tabs?

1. Remove one tablet from its protective wrapper.
  2. Place the unwrapped tablet in the main dishwasher detergent dispenser and close. Use one fully dissolving tablet per wash load.
  3. Make sure all items are dishwasher safe and separate silver from stainless steel. Wash metal items according to manufacturer’s instructions.
  4. Run dishwasher. The optimal water temperature is 125° – 140° F.