Regular Contributor

Re: Dishwasher. Recommendations

You have teenagers so there are your dishwashers.  A few pairs of hands and you'll also save on electricity.Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

Another vote for Bosch.  Mine is 12 years old, tall tub, stainless interior and so quiet I have to double check to see if it is on.  LM

Frequent Contributor

@henderson wrote:

Our KitchenAide dishwasher is about 11 or 12 years old and running fine, except sometimes there is water left in the bottom so I just push the "cancel/drain" button.  May I ask what is wrong with yours? Thanks.

The dishwasher itself is working fine.  The problem is many of the tines on the top rack have rusted and broken off so it will not hold many glasses securely on the rack.  We replaced the bottom rack about three years ago for about $150.  I'm not sure I want to spend $150 on a new top rack for a 10 year old dishwasher washer.  OTOH, my husband wants to just replace the rack.

Frequent Contributor

@ThinkOutsideTheBox wrote:

Do not buy an LG. We bought one in March, and we hate it. We had an LG washer and dryer for ten + years that we liked, but when we replaced those with the same brand in December, those turned out to be POSs too. As far as the dishwasher....we should have heeded the reviews on Home Depot and Lowe's sites. The LG dishwasher racks are designed extremely poorly. If you use ANYTHING but Corelle dishes in there, you will have problems. Both the size and weight of other dishes do not work in the LG racks at all, no matter how creative you get with loading. The plates and such topple over against each other even just sitting still...CONSTANTLY. We have stoneware dishes that we have had for years. At this rate, they won't stilll be with us much longer. The rack tines do not hold their positions, and they are too short. As for the rack in which you normally place glasses, that is another nightmare.

We got the stainles steel interior, and despite that, it never smells clean after a cycle. My former plastic Maytag interior always smelled clean. I keep the filter spotless, so I have no idea why the interior smells like food AFTER a wash cycle. Same soap I have used for years, as well as trying several new brands. Yes, the water temp is fine, there is no mineral build up, etc. It is just a piece of ******, and has been from day one.

We paid $1000 and change for this dishwasher, and I should have saved the money and purchased a simple Maytag, Frigidaire, Kitchen Aid, etc for 1/3 less money. I am so mad about this purchase, since based on my research, NONE of these brands will last any longer than the others these days. I hope my experience helps someone here. I should have listened when I read the bad reviews myself. Good luck!

I feel your pain about LG.  We brought very expensive LG front load washer and dryer.  Horrible machines that lasted less than seven years and I couldn't wait to get ttem out of my house.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dash  We love Bosch. It's very quiet and perfect for open concept homes. The one we have now is over 15 years old and going strong.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

Bosch only for me! So quiet.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

My Kenmore dishwasher was not working for the past few months. I finally ordered a part online and replaced the front control panel. It was easy to do!

Plugged it in and it works great! Saved me a service call or replacement of a good dishwasher!

Respected Contributor

we had that replaced on our maytag dw a while back. we could use it but i couldnt change to a different cycle or cycle option. didnt cost us anything because service contract covered it.

Trusted Contributor

We've had our Bosch for a litte over a year and am very pleased. That is correct about the drying cycle, but it's really only apparent with plastics. We don't use a lot of plastics in the kitchen, so, for us, it wasn't a deal breaker.

I really like the third drawer on the very top that's for silverware. 

Overall, we are quite happy with our Bosch. Ours is in the 800 series.