Frequent Contributor

My Kitchenaid is now 10 years old and needs to be replaced.  Any recommendations?  I'm considering a Bosch.  500 or 800?  Would you recommend Bosch?  What features should I look for?  TIA

Respected Contributor

Re: Dishwasher. Recommendations

I bought a new Kenmore & I like it just fine. Does a great job of cleaning my dishes. 

The only feature that I didn't look for that I wish that I had was the timer to set it for 2, 4, or 6 hours. This one only has a 4 hour setting which is no huge deal, but I would like the other choices.

So I vote that you check for that.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I love my Bosch.  You must know that Bosch dishwashers don't have a drying heater to dry the dishes so I use the Finish drying aid. My last dishwasher dried the dishes but the heater went out (that's what the salesman said, the heaters are the first thing to go) I usually run my dishwasher in the evening and don't open it until next day - they are dry and not spotty.  Very quiet compared to my last dishwasher.  I also usually use the express wash (40 minutes) and they come out perfect.

Frequent Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I love my Bosch.  You must know that Bosch dishwashers don't have a drying heater to dry the dishes so I use the Finish drying aid. My last dishwasher dried the dishes but the heater went out (that's what the salesman said, the heaters are the first thing to go) I usually run my dishwasher in the evening and don't open it until next day - they are dry and not spotty.  Very quiet compared to my last dishwasher.  I also usually use the express wash (40 minutes) and they come out perfect.

Thank you.  I did not know that Bosch did not have a dry cycle.  I may need to rethink Bosch because we run our dishwasher two to three times a day.  I have teenagers.  OTOH, it wouldn't kill them to hand dry the dishes.

Respected Contributor

Love my Bosch. I use the 30 min wash cycle and the dishes are sparkling clean.

Respected Contributor

I had a Bosch in my old house and I loved it!  Also have a Bosch in my new house but haven't used it yet. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do not buy an LG. We bought one in March, and we hate it. We had an LG washer and dryer for ten + years that we liked, but when we replaced those with the same brand in December, those turned out to be POSs too. As far as the dishwasher....we should have heeded the reviews on Home Depot and Lowe's sites. The LG dishwasher racks are designed extremely poorly. If you use ANYTHING but Corelle dishes in there, you will have problems. Both the size and weight of other dishes do not work in the LG racks at all, no matter how creative you get with loading. The plates and such topple over against each other even just sitting still...CONSTANTLY. We have stoneware dishes that we have had for years. At this rate, they won't stilll be with us much longer. The rack tines do not hold their positions, and they are too short. As for the rack in which you normally place glasses, that is another nightmare.

We got the stainles steel interior, and despite that, it never smells clean after a cycle. My former plastic Maytag interior always smelled clean. I keep the filter spotless, so I have no idea why the interior smells like food AFTER a wash cycle. Same soap I have used for years, as well as trying several new brands. Yes, the water temp is fine, there is no mineral build up, etc. It is just a piece of ******, and has been from day one.

We paid $1000 and change for this dishwasher, and I should have saved the money and purchased a simple Maytag, Frigidaire, Kitchen Aid, etc for 1/3 less money. I am so mad about this purchase, since based on my research, NONE of these brands will last any longer than the others these days. I hope my experience helps someone here. I should have listened when I read the bad reviews myself. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

some bosch dishwashers do have really good drying power on them just look at different models. look up bosch on line to veiw there different models. and good luck.

Trusted Contributor

Our KitchenAide dishwasher is about 11 or 12 years old and running fine, except sometimes there is water left in the bottom so I just push the "cancel/drain" button.  May I ask what is wrong with yours? Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

I purchased a Kitcheaid to replace my Maytag and love it!  When I was shopping for mine I read some itps to check: make sure you really look at the layout of the racks. Will they hold your dishes and pots & pans? I have ceramic dishes which are thicker. I also have some large size pots as well as odd shaped skillets so I needed some adjustability in the racks. I didn't even realize that this might vary from brand to brand or model to model. I also didn't realize that they make the tines from different materials which seemed to be an issue in some models. Decide on the features that you have to have first and this will save you time when you are in the store. Good Luck.