Respected Contributor

I've always had a dishwasher.  Although there are just two of us, it gets filled and run once a week on average.  I hand wash my pans and knives, put them on the drying mat while in process, then dry them and put them away.  The drying mats are microfiber so they dry quickly and never smell bad.  My mat gets folded in half and put under the sink after I'm finished with the dishes.  I like cleared counters.

Respected Contributor

I have granite countertops & a double sink, the dish drainer always sits in the smaller sink section, do a lot of cleaning as I go when cooking, the drainer is a must, afterall it is a kitchen  lol

Honored Contributor

I use the dishwasher but there is still always stuff in the dish drainer. There is frequently something that can't go in the dishwasher so it is washed and put in the drainer to dry. I think most people who have the really pristine beautiful kitchens don't cook 3 meals a day in there. Those of us who do - the kitchen shows it. I see here in Florida that many ladies , once their DH retires, decide to no longer cook and they go out to eat - usually brunch and dinner every day. So the kitchens stay pristine clean, but that must cost a fortune to eat out every day, and restaurant foods are full of salt, sugar and fat.

Honored Contributor

I have a drying matt in our camper but we have limited space there so I have to dry and put away the dishes as soon as I am finished washing them.I like the matt though. Each week when I do the laundry I wash it so I don't get any molds in there.

Honored Contributor

I don't have a dishwasher, and have never wanted one.   With a small galley kitchen, I won't give up cabinet space to have something that wouldn't be used anyway.   

I have always used a small dish drainer that sits inside one bowl of my deep sink.  We wash our dishes, let them drain and dry for about an hour, then put them away; nothing sits in the drainer for very long.   I do not like for my dish drainer to sit on the countertop.   

Honored Contributor

@Ditzydori  I am the dish washer so yes I most definitely have a dish drainer.  SIts on top of my counter top to the right of my sink which is the smallest part of my counter top.  It's always been used as the place for the dish drainer in fact.  It takes nothing away from the rest of my conter space.

I have a very old fashioned kitchen and counter top - yes it's formica!!!!  However in my own defense, I will be changing it with a do-over this spring more than likely.   ANd then my dish drainer will still sit in the same place taking up no space but on a nicer counter top.

Honored Contributor

I am amazed at how many of you don't have dishwashers!!!  I thought for sure I was the only person on earth who doesn't have one!!!!

Or some of you have a dish washer but don't use it. 

Well wonders never cease!

Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I would use a dish drainer, if I had one.  Regrettably, I got rid of ours when we moved a few years ago.  I hand wash my stainless steel pots and my little Ninja, and then let them dry on my cotton dish towel du jour.  The cloth absorbs the moisture and then can be used to wipe and shine the counter, which happens to be bullet proof laminate.

When I'm preparing food I think it's OK to use it (the kitchen).

This is what I do too.

Honored Contributor

I also clean up around myself as I go thru the kitchen preparing meals so I don't have such a mess at dish washing time afterwards.  My DH cooks like a chef but he's SO stinking messy in the kitchen.  i HATE going there after he's fixed a meal, drives me insane!  Sometimes I refuse to do the dishes after he cooks.  But then sometimes I end up washing things again because he really doesn't wash them like I do (sorry honey).  I put more 'elbow grease' into washing the greasy ones.  He also wastes time & water by rinsing/wiping everything before he puts the Dawn & sponge to the dishes.  Why bother honey? Just wash them once and do it well!

Respected Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD ...while my husband is also an excellent cook (AND cleans up as he goes along), I'm having a hard time convincing him that the outside of the pans need to be washed along with the inside--and that while "scrubbies" remove cooked on food, a soapy cloth is needed to remove grease!

Can't tell you how many times I've picked up  pan to put it away and nearly had it slide out of my hand because the handle was greasy! Smiley Mad

But hey...at least he cooks!