Super Contributor

Does anyone still use dish drainers. Most of my fiends have new kitchens with granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances. Non of them use a drain board. It takes away from the beauty of the kitchen. 

They use a drying mat or only the rubber mat that goes under the drain board. They dry the dishes and then put the mat away.

Their kitchens are beautiful. My kitchen is upgraded also, but, try as I may, I can't get used to having no dish drainers. We cook a lot and rarely eat out. I have a constant flow of dishes, even though we are only the 2 of us.

I probably should use the dishwasher, but I'm a creature of habit, and I just wash by hand. It's not so much the dishes, per se, it's the pots, cutting board and stuff like that that dry so much quicker in the drainer.  Then I could just dry by hand, but that's too much work.  😳😳

Oh the perils of a housewife😩

Respected Contributor

I have granite and use dish drainer for pots & cutting boards but use the dishwasher for dishes. I put the pots away after they dry and the drainer goes back under the sink. I don't like the drainer sitting on the counter all the time. My DD loves the drain mats, wonder if they are better than the drainer. I like the drainer because the air can get under the pots.

Honored Contributor

I have a double sink and always have had a dish drainer on one side.   I'm not sure I could adjust to the granite counter top method. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Mine is a permanent fixture on the countertop, always has been. The water on washed things has to drip somewhere, the mats just don't seem sanitary to me with no air getting under things and just sitting there on dampness. I wouldn't use a mat unless it was just untill I finished washing the things that were not going in the dishwasher and then dried them right away. Plus it seems those mats would smell funky after awhile from being damp.

Honored Contributor

I do 2-3 times a day. I didn't want a dishwasher, neither did my sister as it turns out. Air drying is very good.

Honored Contributor

Oh YUK a dish drainer?? No way! I love the clean unclutterred look. Theres no way I would ever have dishes lined up drying all over my beautiful kitchen!

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

I would use a dish drainer, if I had one.  Regrettably, I got rid of ours when we moved a few years ago.  I hand wash my stainless steel pots and my little Ninja, and then let them dry on my cotton dish towel du jour.  The cloth absorbs the moisture and then can be used to wipe and shine the counter, which happens to be bullet proof laminate.

When I'm preparing food I think it's OK to use it (the kitchen).

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I do 2-3 times a day. I didn't want a dishwasher, neither did my sister as it turns out. Air drying is very good.

I agree.    Although a dishwasher "came with the house", I never use it.   One old lady plus cat.........would take a month to fill the dishwasher.   I wash as I go.........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

I agree.    Although a dishwasher "came with the house", I never use it.   One old lady plus cat.........would take a month to fill the dishwasher.   I wash as I go.........

LOL, my dishwasher is my dish drainer.   I too like washing by hand.

I've never had one on the counter, I've had small ones in the sink tho.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

@Ditzydori wrote:

It takes away from the beauty of the kitchen. 

See, here's the problem.  I am 100% for a beautiful kitchen, but if you start to worry about the function taking away from the beauty, you've gone too far. 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York