Esteemed Contributor

Re: Discussion Of Modern Art

I love modern art. I like abstraction, and no point of emphasis. Monet's impression Sunrise is one of my favorite paintings. His focus of light and the abstract  landscape is beautiful. He used abstraction back in the late 1800s. 

I really love Jackson Pollock's work. There is no beginning or end, and it portrays the subject according to his perspective, without the use of a traditional style.

Like many have said I don't like all modern artwork. Some appeals to me some does not. It is all subjective. 

As for the highlighted piece. I don't think this actually modern art. It appears to be a night sky with something moving downward. It helps if you know the artist and what his/her intention was. It can be really difficult to just look at a painting and know why the scene is depicted a certain way. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624   I think you're probably right.  I do think my view of modern and contemporary art is rather simplistic. I have never really delved into it or tried to learn more about it. I very much like pictures of scenery (that I can lose myself in) or flowers, birds, animals, skies.....things that are familiar to me. I find them relaxing. I do like some of Van Gogh's works, but there again, it's the scenic ones and the sunflowers. I don't like having to think about what it is I'm looking at. Maybe it's not that hard for others and fascinates them.  I'll never make it that far!!!!   

Respected Contributor

This thread brought back a wonderful memory.

When my children were in elementary school, our PTA came up with a great program that was enjoyed by so many.

We developed a program called "The Picture Lady," wherein we purchased works of art, researched each one and then once a month a number of us would take the picture into different classrooms.

The children were shown each picture, told about the artist, and then they told me what they thought of the picture, what they saw and how it made them feel. 

We took in Cassatt, Gauguin, Chagall, Picasso, Monet, Rockwell, Rousseau, Van Gogh, and assorted other painters along the way.

It was a great way to introduce children to the art world.  Their favorites were Rockwell, Chagall and Rousseau.  They came up with all sorts of comments on those.

It was a win-win, I loved doing it as did the teacher and children being involved in it.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

@jubilant   Great thread!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Esteemed Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

@Kachina624   I think you're probably right.  I do think my view of modern and contemporary art is rather simplistic. I have never really delved into it or tried to learn more about it. I very much like pictures of scenery (that I can lose myself in) or flowers, birds, animals, skies.....things that are familiar to me. I find them relaxing. I do like some of Van Gogh's works, but there again, it's the scenic ones and the sunflowers. I don't like having to think about what it is I'm looking at. Maybe it's not that hard for others and fascinates them.  I'll never make it that far!!!!   

@jubilant You don't have to know a lot about art. You just like what you like that's all. If it evokes a feeling that makes you happy that's even better. 

Art is a complex study. I think most of us are not that versed. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @Mersha. What a great idea the PTA had.  I love that!  You brought back a good memory for me! I broke my leg in the 7th grade. It was a break I could have no weight on and I had a cast up to my thigh.  I was on crutches and could no longer attend school for the rest of the year. The state provided me with a "bedside teacher".  A young married woman.  She told me when I could walk well on my crutches she would take me to an art museum. It did two things for me....it gave me incentive to get going on my crutches and a great appreciation for art!   

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

Well, I think we can all see it is a reindeer on a starry snowy night!😄🦌❄️✨

So if that is what the artist meant, I like it, if he/she didn't, well I don't know what they meant!

Interestingly, (or not🙄) "Modern Art" is the period of art from 1860-1970 when artists created art against all tradition and went for creativity.

I thought it was art of the current age but many may still name it as that.

Some famous ones-Van Gogh -who knew?!, Mondigliani, Picasso, Andy Warhol, Dali, Mondrian, Matisse, Cezanne, O'Keefe, even Monet, Munch, Dumas and many others that might be less familiar.

Whereas "abstract art" was initially a part of the modern art period and it is defined as art that does not depict reality but uses shapes, colors,light forms-examples-Mondrian, Miro, Pollack, the first acknowledged abstract by  Wassily Kandinsky, a watercolor-"untitled."

Untitled - First Abstraction, 1910 (originally pen, ink and w/c on paper) by Kandinsky, Wassily (1866-1944)

What do you think of that?!

And there, thankfully is the end of our art history today! We all get an A!😅 

@on the bay  Yeah an A!!!  Now I will show my expertise....I see a bloody mitten and maybe even a bird or two!!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

I agree with some other posters. The item hanging on the wall in the original post is an inexpensive print that businesses purchase. The purpose of it may only be to bring colors into the space, create some kind of atmosphere, etc., but it's not an exhibit of modern art. 

One of my favorite Modern Artists is Mark Rothko. Viewing them in person elicited great depth.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Honored Contributor

I think modern art and furnishings are without warmth and leave me cold.  I have never liked modern for the most part, maybe a lamp or piece of decor but that is it.  I like a room to be warm and inviting and rich looking, modern doesn't do that for me.