Trusted Contributor

Discoloration between dual pane windows

My bathroom window has discoloration. Researching it seems like it can be from moisture eteeen panes ( makes sense bathroom).
Anyone have this problem? Replacement is expensive. They are about 15 yrs old.
Respected Contributor

Re: Discoloration between dual pane windows

[ Edited ]

The seal on the window is broken, it can be repaired...call a few window repair companies to get estimates. I live in a small town & costs run $75. - $100. depending on what has to be done. Good Luck.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks
I read that also about seal. Good to know it can be repaired.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, sometimes the settling of a house can do it.  Not just in a bathroom.

Mine seem to be the type that can be sort of popped out and replaced without disturbing the surroundings.  So it is not too expensive.

Respected Contributor

This happened to me, too, recently, but my house is 4 years old so I had a warranty to fall back on.  If there is even a teeny tiny hole in the seal, moisture will get in and discolor the inside panes making them look smoky.  It was an easy enough fix for me - window people came out to replace the lower panes.  What you need to do is flip down your windows and look for the codes on the stickers.  Give those codes to the window people so they know exactly what size windows you have so they can get you the right size panes.  I had four windows that were fixed, guys were here about 45 minutes.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BarbiHollywood  Do you know if they can replace the glass in a patio door without having to replace the entire door?  

Our patio door has gotten moisture in between the panes and the cost to replace the entire door is outrageous.   It's a very large door and other than the discoloration in one half, the door works perfectly.   

Honored Contributor

Just walking around the neighborhood, I've seen a few hazy windows.

The newer types (double panes).

The older, single pane, none that I've noticed.

It's probably a good idea, now-a-days, to find a window company that guarantees windows for several years. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the info on codes on underside. I will update after some calls are made.

Esteemed Contributor

@springers , just replaced the glass in one of my garden doors.  Seal was broken.  My home is 15 years old.  Much cheaper than total door replacement.  Look for the manufacturer of your window if you know what it is.  Good luck!  LM

Honored Contributor

Many multi pane windows have argon (I think that is it) between the glass panes for insulation properties, and if something breaks the seal, it leaks and this foggy kind of discoloration spreads. 

The window needs to be replaced when this happens, and depending on the type/style/brand can need complete replacement, or a new insert put in. Usually you have to know the company/brand and have info on the window to replace just the part.

At least this has been my experience in the past.