Respected Contributor

Dirty fabric softener dispencer

• We have a ge top load washer with and agitator. I noticed that there are 2 peices and they come apart.washer is just over 2 years old. So I took it apart to clean it. I couldn't believe how nasty it was on the inside. From fabric softener plus it was black to. Probably mold. Hot water and dawn dish detergent and a metal scrubby and it came nice and clean. I figured incase any of you never thought of taking it apart. I only noticed it by mistake.
Honored Contributor

Re: Dirty fabric softener dispencer

I frequently had to clean out my fabric softener dispemser in my old washer.  I finally gave up using fabric softener completely,   I figured if so much of it was staying in the dispenser, I wasn't getting the full benefit anyway. I have a new washer, but just no longer use fabric softener at all.

Honored Contributor

we have a front loading machine with a drawer that pulls out. it is easy to see when it is dirty or clogged. we usually remove it once a month to do a good clean on it.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I have never used fabric softner due to allergies.  But this year I started putting vinegar in the fabric softner dispenser. Very pleased with it. 

Honored Contributor

@cindyNC wrote:

I have never used fabric softner due to allergies.  But this year I started putting vinegar in the fabric softner dispenser. Very pleased with it. 

@cindyNC 

I do the exact same thing!  I've stopped using liquid fabric softener.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

I clean mine out but cut way down on fabric softener.  I also use vinegar in dispenser to help soften clothes.  Works great.

I use Tide clear also and do not want dyes in the washer.  All those things are hard on the machine.

Esteemed Contributor

My front loader also has a drawer that comes out that you can clean.  This houses the detergent and the softner, though I quit using fabric softner years ago.  I never saw a difference in my laundry.   I never thought I would like the front loader type but I do, I also like the fact that it has it's own "clean washer mode" that I run once a month.  Also buildup can be from hard water.

Honored Contributor

I pull that compartmented drawer out and put into dishwasher, top shelf.  I'd hate to melt it.