Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dining Table Bench - Yea or Nay?

Trust me, I have no style so I come here for inspiration! 😉

While a I like the idea of the  highback Martha Stewart bench, I agree that if someone excuses themselves from the table, everyone on the bench is disturbed while the bench gets moved.

@Carmie  I hadn't thought of stepping over the bench to get in and out like a picnic table. When at the furniture store, DS slid the bench out and back in but that's not practical with 2-3 people seated.

Back to individual chairs !

Honored Contributor

My friend has had benches at her dining tables for about 40 years. She likes them.

I think they are totally uncomfortable and when the middle person has to get up someone on the end has to move or climb over the bench. They are ok outdoors but nor for me in the kitchen or dining room.

Honored Contributor

I was considering a bench for one side of my table only because I live alone and it would rarely be used, if ever.  I liked the idea of using it for decorating more than seating.  I would put it under the window.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Over many many years my home has reflected different phases of the people living in it.  When kids were babies and toddlers it looked and felt different than when it became a teenage hangout.  Empty nest time and it became a bit more formal.  Now it's me and I decorate with what I love and how I live.  The only opinion that matters is mine and I'm happy with my home.  Long way of saying it's your home and if you love it, get it and enjoy it.  

PS.  Bench seating may not be my style but if it''s yours go for it and enjoy.  You have to live with it every day, company maybe a few hours.  

Respected Contributor

I prefer a back on my seating at the "dining" table!  Outdoor picnic table with benches is just fine.  Kitchen with bench against wall or cushion backed bench is fine!

Honored Contributor

I don’t care for benches.  Ok for outdoor dining, but inside, everyone should get a chair. 

Honored Contributor

As an adult, it’s a big NO.   

I loved the wooden bench seat at my farm grandparents summer table on the screen porch.   I was little, and it was fun.  

My inlaws remodeled their kitchen in the 80’s, and due to space issues, bought a smaller table with a padded bench and 2 chairs.   It was a PIA, but the kitchen still had that type of seating when she died 8 years ago.  That was the kiddie table at family dinners, and even the grandkids hated sitting there.   The bench was not comfortable seating at all.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Snowpuppy  Your original Windsor chairs and upstolered chairs gets my vote! Have never been a fan of benches at a dining table. Even little kids need to learn to eat sitting in chairs for comfort and safety. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

NAY ... just wouldn't work for me and anyone in my family.  

Okay for the picnic table in the backyard ... but not in the dining room!

We (the adults) hang out at the dining room table after dinner .... chatting sometimes for hours.  Drinking coffee, eating more dessert.  

Respected Contributor

I want backs on my dining room seats. I like to relax when I am eating at the dining room table.