Esteemed Contributor

Dining Table Bench - Yea or Nay?

I'm thing of replacing my current dining table but possibly keeping my Arrow Back Windsor chairs and adding two upholstered chairs for each end.

While browsing with DS we saw a rustic set with a dining bench. He loved the idea and while it is a spacesaver I always thought of dining benches as more for little ones at the table. I included two examples, one padded/upholstered and one not.

Any thoughts ? Comfort? Yea or Nay?

RFN2500.jpgmiriam_bench.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dining Table Bench - Yea or Nay?

If actually used for mealtime seating I think it would be very uncomfortable.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

My niece has one at her dining table.  It's very uncomfortable. 

She has a beautiful long table with chairs at the ends and on one side, but a bench the other  side.  Nobody wants to sit on the bench.  LOL

Plus, it looks off balance.  When you look at the table, you see chairs on one side and nothing on the other side because the bench is hidden by the table. 

I think she's going to wind up buying chairs to replace the bench. 

Honored Contributor

They were popular for a while.  I think they work great for kids and young people with strong backs.  Bench seating would be very uncomfortable for those of us bad backs, it would put too much strain on a person's back.  

Honored Contributor

no, while they look good, they are not practical at all. would not like to sit on a bench to eat in a dining room. to me, a bench is reserved for a picnic table.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

As someone with back issues I avoid benches with no support.

Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy   Just my opinion:  I find them to be very uncomfortable.  Also I'm of the opinion they are not meant for formal dining.  And I feel like I've drawn the "short straw" when I've sat on one at someone's formal dinner party.  They really aren't comfortable, even the padded ones.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

To me they are uncomfortable, no back support, sliding in and out is a hassle, and look a bit unfinished.  I think your existing chairs with two new additions sounds good.  Windsor chairs! 👍 

*** Edited for clarity 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

This reminds me of the Waltons. 

They had bench seating, with chairs at each end for the Dad, and Grandad. 

It would be nice for large families, in my opinion. 

Super Contributor

I think chairs would be better. I especially do not like the second one, imho looks like a picnic table bench...