Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dining Room Tablecloth - Yes or No

I too have a formal dining room with a cherry table.  I use seasonal runners with complementing center pieces.  I don't know where I will get table runners now that Pier1 is gone.  I do have a lovely lace runner that I use with my Waterford bowl and candleholders.  Throwback but not old and stuffy.  Table pads and tablecloth only when dining.  

Honored Contributor

normally no just a runner with centerpiece.

during seasonal decor times I do put one on.  Right now I have shamrock tablecloth with runner.

Valued Contributor

No tablecloth here.
Use a runner to protect it from a centerpiece.

No visitors here for a long time, so dining room isn't used for dining.
Esteemed Contributor

I have a round glass & metal dining room table. I use seasonal place mats

I have a sofa table that pulls out to a long dining table. I use seasonal tablecloths when we use this table.  

The sofa table has a runner on it with seasonal decorations 99% of the time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Right now, nothing, because I have a wild and crazy kitten. 

Normally, I put seasonal runners with China or porcelain dishes on the table but if I am having special guests (because my table is beginning to show its age), I use an underlay linen table cloth and I have an Army-Navy tablecloth over it with my best China. 

I have other, lace tablecloths that I use for special occasions but not the ones as special as Christmas when I use the Army-Navy cloth and my best China for my favorite, special people  (my family).

If Iam hosting luncheons, I usually use one of the lace tablecloths with a colored sheet under it for the seasonal thing (blue in the summer), (pink or yellow in the spring), (gold) in Autumn and decorate the table accordingly, according to season.

I keep my kitchen table set all the time with placemats, China or Melamine or porcelain and flowers or fruit.

Esteemed Contributor

No for me. When I had a dining room table until a few years ago, I never kept a tablecloth on the table. For holiday dinners I used a tablecloth, but removed it the next day. No one in my family ever kept a tablecloth on a dining room table. I never used one for a kitchen table either....just never liked the looks of them.

Honored Contributor

Almost all the time, just the naked wood, @twinsister .   For some reason, I never use a tablecloth, although we have been given several as gifts. 

Our tiny dining room doubles as a "library",  so I guess bare wood fits.  Right now, I have three pieces of decor on it.  My indigo pitcher, a swirly vintage brass candlestick, and a massive, raw wood bowl from the Studio McGee /Target collection.

All that is more than you wanted to know, but I love your topic, ha.

Respected Contributor

@twinsister   I agree it is old fashion to have a table cloth. Runners and placemats are more the style today. But decorating is about what makes you happy so it really doesn't matter. 

Honored Contributor

I remember our old dining room at home and my mother always had a pretty lace tablecloth on it.  It looked so nice.  She had these pretty cut glass candle holders on it, too and a cut glass bowl of ceramic fruit which she had made!  We didn't use the dining room much --- just for company.  But the items stayed on the table all the time. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I use a reproduction Early American woven coverlet (dark blue and beige) set at an angle to cover a portion of our dining room table.  Always set with a blue and white tureen in the center and flanked by two pewter candlesticks on each side.  Said tureen brought back from Portugal as young marrieds, so unless it is Christmas, it stays.  Married in 1966.  Kitchen table is an antique oak round table, varying centerpieces, and just two placemats brought on for us two.

We use tablecloths for entertaining.  But with the pandemic, when was that?  And our children like to entertain us.