Honored Contributor

Re: Did you have homemaker tendencies as a young child?

@house_cat wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

No.   I was not allowed to do anything inside the house.    Even my dad had to ask "permission" to get a cold drink out of the fridge..........     I did have a sewing machine and iron in the basement, and took sewing lessons in school.    The house had to be "perfect"..........like the Pope or President was going to knock on the door some day...............

I'm sorry to hear that @Desertdi . It must have been terrible.

@house_cat  THANK YOU!  I moved as far away as I could.........from Chicago to Los Angeles.  di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

No I was a Tom boy, but I did like to make mud pies.

Honored Contributor

As the only girl, I was pushed into homemaker tendencies, it was not my choice.   When I wanted to learn to mow grass, I was told that was my brothers job, and mine was in the house helping my mother.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

as a young girl (and my brother too) we were expected to do home chores, go to cooking and baking classes at 4-H club.  I also learned to sew, repair minor things at 4-h.  I loved that club!

As I got older my brother & cousins were always playing in the World Little League tournaments in McKeesport, PA.  Those were the best of times for me:  I'd spend the week with my aunt & grandmother down in her "summer kkitchen" leaning canning, making fresh breads, pastas & more!  Best time of my life!

I love everything from cleaning to cooking to baking!   I have always enjoyed it!!!  

Honored Contributor

When I was a senior in high school, I was selected my school's Betty Crocker "Homemaker of the Tomorrow".  Does that count?  If only they could see me now.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Halo117's remark hits home for me!

Trusted Contributor

I don't really have memories of doing any "homemaking" myself, but my mom liked to decorate the house for most of the holidays. That must be where I got my love of decorating from, although I think I take it much more seriously than my mom did.  lol

Honored Contributor

I've always been a girly girl. Always played with my kid sized cardboard kitchen I had in my bedroom. My mom said I played in there, with my imaginary friends, all day long having tea parties. Played with my Barbie and her dream house from sun up to sun down. I was always fixing my room up and changing things around. When asked what I wanted to be when I grow up my answer was always.... a Mommy. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@conlt wrote:

No, and I don't have them as an adult. LOL

Neither do I! My lack of interest in being a homemaker was quite the topic of discussion and frustration for my older female relatives. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I am 68 and growing up, the girl (me) had to clean the house.  I had to wash the dishes, wash the kitchen and bathroom floors, dust.  I think the only thing my brothers had to do was take out the garbage.  Today a lot girls do not even cook.  Oh, I did that too at a certain age.  Let me add I washed the dishes and then my brothers would use up about 6 more drinking glasses watching sports.  I think that is why I did not remarry because I was sick of taking care of everything.

That was me.  I had three younger brothers who were not asked to do anything around the house.  I felt like a scullery maid until I was about 14 and went on strike until we had a sharing of tasks. But I never have gotten any enjoyment really in doing housework.