Honored Contributor

Did This Room Accomplish The Look???

masculine_touches_4

This is supposed to be a blend of feminine and masculine decor.  What do you think?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Did This Room Accomplish The Look???

[ Edited ]

@jubilant , I think the woman won lol.  The only nod to masculine I see is the leather chair.

Also, don't love the garden/jungle on the table.  I prefer a cleaner look.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

First let me say I love the architectural details of this room--the french doors/windows are beautiful. I do think the room reads gender neutral so I guess the decorator accomplished that look.  

I am not enamoured with much of the decor. To my eye there is way too much greenery on the coffee table. The shade on the floor lamp is too small,  I don't like those tree trunk looking things next to the fireplace and the artwork is not speaking to me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is a beautiful room that almost anyone would enjoy.  A leather chair is suppose to be a nod to masculinity (notice the curvilinear lines).  I think it is ridiculous to be thinking in these terms.  Unless you are really over the top extreme....we would not even think about the masculine/feminine aspect of a room unless the question was posed and/or intentional (ie man cave).

I love the bones in this room and the few details that I don't care for have nothing to do with masculine/feminine....the stubby lamp, the foliage explosion, the unnecessary columns, or the innocuous artwork.  Overall, the room is gracious, comfortable, and pleasing.

Addressing the question - of course, it does not shout M/F, but then so do 99% of the rooms we look at accomplish the same purpose. 

Honored Contributor

I think it's gender neutral -  but both genders might want to change everything from just above the fireplace mantel.

Honored Contributor

The furniture placement is awkward, it is very disjointed and there is nothing but clutter everywhere--even the furniture is a hot mishmash.

It doesn look like two people having in common threw together all their stuff and moved into a really pretty house.  That white chair is really ugly. 

Honored Contributor

IMO, an bunch of unrelated hodge podge.  Looks like somebody's attic or a display at a garage sale.  One of the worst rooms I've seen.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I agree that the house is beautiful, but the decor not so much. Is that tall plant inside the fireplace or on the table? I can't tell, but either way it is too much. Everything above and beside the fireplace does not look right. All that being said it looks better than mine, so I shouldn't judge.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lovely room but I would take away the giant plant in the fireplace...I like a fireplace to look like a fireplace not a plant container. I would eliminate 2 of the plants on the coffee table and get rid of the small floor lamp next to the fireplace. Art work is personal so if they like it it's fine. 

That would open the room up a bit and make it more airy IMO.

I think the room is gender neutral to answer your question.

Honored Contributor

It's neither feminine nor masculine.  It's a bit of a mish/mash to me.  Things don't click.  I like the room itself, just not the furnishings.