Honored Contributor

Re: Did/Do you take your alloted vacation days at work?

@CelticCrafter wrote:

The corporation my daughter works for, use it or lose it, that includes personal days and sick days.  They don't pay you for not using it.

My company started "use it or lose it" 10 years ago.  Partly to force people to take time off to relax and recharge and partly because people were retiring with hundreds  vacation days.  They had to pay them for those days at retirement and it was huge expense for the company.  Now we can only carry over 240 hours, when have that in the bank, you stop accruing vacation time.    

Respected Contributor

Absolutely YES! I took all of my vacation and when flexible benefits were introduced, I purchased additional time off when I could. The only drawback with purchasing time off is that once you did that, you had to use it all or loose it - no rollover. By the time I left after the 4th round of M&A, I had earned 6 weeks of vacation annually. With the additional time off that I purchased, i pretty much worked 3 days a week in the summer, plus spent 4 weeks in Florida in the winter. I was at the director level by that time so it helped that my time was flexible, but I still used every minute of my vacation time. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes all vacation & personal days.  I had 6 weeks vacation.  

When I retired I made sure I had sick days left = to what they paid for ($15,000 was the max).  I got to take 6 months with paid sick and then received a nice check for the balance😊

If I was still working I'd do the same again.  

Honored Contributor

I took mine all a once, when I worked. The hubs takes a few days at a time and then has PTOs too. 

Trusted Contributor

Definitely.  Doesn't make sense to give it up esp. if we don't get paid any extra $$ if we don't.

Also, need to de-stress at times.