Honored Contributor

Re: Did/Do you take your alloted vacation days at work?

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Yes, I take my vacation time - all of it. And HR has already reminded me to be sure to schedule it. I’ve only taken two days of it so far this year.

I know that taking it has no negative impact on my career and that my employers feels it is important for us to have the time off.

Esteemed Contributor

Taking vacation has no effect on one's career. I cannot imagine where anyone would get that idea. Nor is going on vacation leaving the company in a bind; no one is that important! Everyone is replaceable.

Take those vacations and let the rest of the employees enjoy your vacation as much as you do! (Think about that statement a minute. LOL) 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

One reason I didn't like a full week off was it was h*ll coming back. There was no one else to do my job and the stack of messages and people wanting to close asap wasn't worth being gone that long. 

@CrazyKittyLvr2  So true! I get 4 weeks, but I only take a week in the spring and one in August, because it kills me to prep for being away and recover when I come back. Work is doubled. And that last day before I leave for vacation is crazy! The other days I take around the holidays or roll over. Sometimes, during the holidays or snow days, I'm the only one at the office. Retiring in NovemberSmiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady   My DD worked  with an  attorney that had worked for a very large law firm in NYcity.  She said it was 80+ hrs.a week. You didn"t think about vacations or  God forbid, having a baby if you wanted to advance in the firm or make partner.

She had peumonia and ordered to bed by Dr.,the firm Fed Ex'd  her work at home.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  Your DD could have set her OWN priorities if she wanted a different lifestyle. She made those choices; no one forced them upon her. (She could have made partner a lot quicker with an attitude similar to her male counterparts. Perhaps she never wanted children. Give her a break.)  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady   Please re-read my post.  DD worked with an attorney that experienced that. It wasn't my DD.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SurferWife 

I will gladly come to your home and take amazing care of Mr Toby.  

Will bring WEN for me and for him.

Many walkies, Much love & kisses, grooming & Bunches OfKISSIESS.

References provided! Background Check if you like!

😁😆� 😉 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

We were allowed to give some of our vacation hours to co-workers dealing with things like illness, family illness, etc. I often did this and it was a good feeling. 

====

We couldn't do that @RetRN but we could sell five days back for cash and I did that on occasion.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe 

Plenty of WEN here; you wouldn’t need to bring any! Speaking of WEN, Mr. Toby & I just came in from the beach. Somebody is fixing to get his bath!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

Wow.  Sounds like you were a slave rather than an employee.  I never worked with or managed anyone like you but I have worked with people who like to think that they are irreplaceable.  That the department or the company cannot function without them, that if they took a week off, the company would crash and burn.  So, they don't take vacations and they come in when they are sick and they also are the ones who complain the most...because....they are tired.   Unfortunately, empployers cannot make people take their vacation days.  We can suggest and encourage but that's as far as we can go.  Every job situation is different and I think there are people who won't take time of because they are afraid that everything will go perfectly well on the job or they are afraid that the person who covers for them will do better job.  No, I was never like that.  I believe in living a balancd life and while my career has always been important; it is not my life.  Also having a husband and a family and relatives and friends means keeps a person from being too absorbed with a job.  You can't tell your husband and kids that you can never take a vacation because the job needs me.  You can't tell your friends that you can never take a couple of days off because the job needs you.   They do say that Americans don't use all their vacation days and I do believe that is true.  I can't relate to it but it's true.