Honored Contributor

Re: Did/Do you take your alloted vacation days at work?

Before we retired yes both DH and I used all of our vacation time.

My son now gets 5 weeks.  He works for a small company and the owner just closes the business down for a week at Christmas & the July 4th week.  So in addition to those two weeks where everyone gets off he has another three and I encourage him to use his time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Where I worked it was required to take time off because the job was so high stress. 

In Japan, though I did not work there,  they have a word for "overwork death"...karoshi. The deaths usually involve heart attacks and strokes due to stress and poor nutrition from working too much.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I took my vacation time. Sick time too.If management frowns on this, BAD management. Mine thought we deserved it.
Esteemed Contributor

I worked for over 40 years in banking, and we were required to take at least one full week of our vacation time each year. After that, we could take remaining vacation days all together or break them up. I had accumulated 4 weeks of vacation time and you bet I took every one of them. No company should let employees stay in the office and not take vacation time. Embezzlement within a company is most often found when the employee is gone for a week or more. It's just a good business practice to require every employee to be gone from the job for at least a full week. No employee is irreplaceable.

Honored Contributor

When I was working, I took my alloted vacation days. My husband worked in a very stressful profession and often did not take them. Years later, I really wish he had because now I cannot travel....

Honored Contributor

The corporation my daughter works for, use it or lose it, that includes personal days and sick days.  They don't pay you for not using it.

Esteemed Contributor

If we don’t take then we lose them. I personally will not give it back I worked for it. 

Respected Contributor

When our children were young I often ran out of sick family time and had to use vacation days. I always tried to use at least part of the vacation days as days off for me. We were allowed to accumulate a certain number of days. As the kids grew up my parents and husband became ill. There went some  the vacation days again. I did try to take a week at Christmas. I also saved my sick days when possible. When I retired I got a pay out of the vacation days and 30% of the sick days. Off we went on a 2 week tour of Ireland.

Trusted Contributor

I earned it.  I take it, all.   

Honored Contributor

Oh, yes, and then some.  I could not wait to retire but I ended up with an auto immune disease and went on disability until retirement age and then on social security.  We work to hard in America.  In Europe from what I heard, they take 2 hour lunches and have one month vacations.  

kindness is strength