Valued Contributor

Re: Did/Do you take your alloted vacation days at work?

@catter70 wrote:

You bet I did. I never had a job that could even remotely be considered a career. I got 6 weeks vacation and used every day. My sister on the other hand has worked almost 20 yrs. in the same place and only gets 2 weeks which she can only take a day now and then as her boss takes offense any time she needs a day off. If she does take off for something, he's calling her several times. I feel bad for her, but she needs the job.

@catter70 Sorry for your sister's situation, that is so unfair.  I hate the fact that we are so in need of that check that we allow ourselves to be taken advantage of.

Esteemed Contributor

@Snowhite714   He paid me well and was very generous with bonuses.  He handed me a check for $2,500 on day out of the blue and said it was for all my hard work.  So,yes I think he did apppreciate me.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Snowhite714   He paid me well and was very generous with bonuses.  He handed me a check for $2,500 on day out of the blue and said it was for all my hard work.  So,yes I think he did apppreciate me.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   Glad to here it.  You my Dear had one of the good ones.  Many of us not so fortunate.  Enjoy your retirement.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Of course my husband and I always took our vacations. We did not use our personal time or sick leave (which many people do) unless it was an absolutely necessary.

Vacations are family time; a change to travel, bond, learn and relax. Very necessary to recharge your "batteries" and attitude! Have to admit the weeks before and after a vacation were always hectic, but well worth the two or three week vacations we took. A long trip is well-deserved. Or a stay-home vacation for a couple of days is also a good mental health refresher to putz around the house jobs. 

ETA: We both have also given our sick leave to other employees who had used all of theirs due to severe illness (or in their family). We didn't miss it and they desperately needed it.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Super Contributor

My husband owns a small company and he really encourages everyone to take their vacation time mainly because all of us need time to recharge and relax no matter what type of job we have.   He also wants employees to make sure they don't miss their children's sports/school activities as well volunteering in the community.  All of this also creates more productive happier employees.  It really makes me sad reading some of the posts where people do not even use two weeks a year being at a job for several years.  Many countries in Europe have at least 8 weeks vacation time.  

Esteemed Contributor

One reason I didn't like a full week off was it was h*ll coming back. There was no one else to do my job and the stack of messages and people wanting to close asap wasn't worth being gone that long. 

Esteemed Contributor

Why is this posted in the Home forum?

Honored Contributor

ABSOLUTELY... I do! I work hard for those vacation/personal choice days and I do use mine. Most of mine I use in the Summer, as our summers are so short. We have shutdown at Christmastime that doesn't count towards our vacation time which is nice......Sick days I don't use many of, but vacation I do!

Esteemed Contributor

@Snowpuppy Because I had a senior moment.  Sorry, it was meant for community chat.

Esteemed Contributor

Before retirement (currently working 3/4 time at different place) I received 6 weeks vacation a year and was able to carry over 2 weeks each year. When I retired, I was paid for unused vacation time. There was a high cap for total vacation days we could accrue. 

I routinely took 4 wks a year vacation and enjoyed the stacked retirement pay for unused days.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau