Honored Contributor

Re: Details from the "Fresh" House....

@vsm  No, not in publishing, but have been reading shelter magazines forever and so follow the happenings, as editorial choices so clearly impact what we end up seeing.  As magazines get more and more expensive and harder and harder to find, many of them now focusing on their digital versions, it pays to be picky!

I think if Southern Home can survive the minimal ads, it's because the newsstand price is on the high side... When it started, there were no ads at all, but a few have crept in... If you like what you see, the subscription price is a much better deal... Hoffman Media puts out a number of magazines and quite a few 'special' issues under several titles that are dedicated to decor. They can be uneven but those that fall under the 'Southern Style' moniker have also largely been pretty good...

As for Traditional Home, it really is a shame... I still pick it up occasionally and am almost always sorry I did...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Re: Details from the "Fresh" House....

@stevieb wrote:

@vsm  Will let you know... FYI, there were a series of purges involving editorial leadership of a number of the Hearst magazines... Both Veranda and House Beautiful did a house cleaning and virtually everyone was let go and replaced with new staff... There was some degree of trepidation as to how that would pan out, but so far, though it really is too early to tell, both magazines seem to be holding their own...

Traditional Home, once a favorite, has really tanked as far as I'm concerned. While I realize 'traditional' doesn't necessarily have to equate to chintz,or to brown Queen Anne or Chippendale style furniture, I rarely see much in the magazine I'd personally call 'traditional'... They too recently appointed a new editor, but, from where I sit, she has never improved any magazine with which she's been associated and, so far, this is proving not to be an exception.

One magazine I am finding quite appealing is Southern Home, published by Hoffman Media... Though most of the homes featured are situatied in the south, whether one lives in the south or not, the interiors are usually lovely and are a nice mix of styles... There are also minimal ads, which is a nice change...

Southern Home (as well as its "offspring") is popular on the newstands (especially in grocery stores) where I live in northern California, @stevieb .  As you likely know, there are certain climate similarities between our locales, and I'm glad to know many of us where I live are attracted to it like I am.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.