Respected Contributor

Re: Details from the "Fresh" House....

@stevieb wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

I think this is one of my all-time favorites of those that have been posted here.  So very, very liveable, and just so pretty, and almost just-right.  A Goldilocks house.  Woman Wink

I may just have to subscribe to Home & Design magazine.

@GingerPeach  I strongly advise you to pick up a few issues at the market or wherever before deciding whether to subscribe. Although the magazine has featured a few truly lovely homes and interiors in recent months, the norm is very modern design and the focus is on endless ads for designers, landscapers, builders and real estate... That said, I too have been thinking about getting a subscription and keeping fingers crossed that they continue to offer some more traditional spaces... I will say, several issues prior to the most recent had some appealing decor while the current issue is disappointing...

@steviebI just let my subscription to Veranda lapse for the same reason:  it's increasingly focused on cold, contemporary, edgy styles.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe 

I had a girl cat who sprayed - yes, she was spayed.  Ooohwee.

Anyway, enough about pet emissions in this lovely thread. Woman Embarassed

We can move it to "pets" if you like.

Have a great Sunday evening, @Drythe  and everyone!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Simply beautiful. I like so many things about it and it looks like it's built in a picturesque outdoor environment.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Its a beautiful home, I love the nook and collectible display in the first photo....love the grounds...

I'm not thrilled about the bedrooms...

Bedroom#1 --Id lose that piece of furniture by the window..looks like a chest of drawers with open slat design on the side. And instead of incohesive pieces of furniture I'd rather see overstuffed chair and an end table instead of that dark wooden chair and end table currently shown.... and I dont like that carpet 

Bedroom #2--I dont like that rug, nor the white comforter on the bed, but  everything else is fine....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Love this home. Beautiful!
Honored Contributor

Very nice home! I could live there happily. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@vsm wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

I think this is one of my all-time favorites of those that have been posted here.  So very, very liveable, and just so pretty, and almost just-right.  A Goldilocks house.  Woman Wink

@GingerPeach  I strongly advise you to pick up a few issues at the market or wherever before deciding whether to subscribe. Although the magazine has featured a few truly lovely homes and interiors in recent months, the norm is very modern design and the focus is on endless ads for designers, landscapers, builders and real estate... That said, I too have been thinking about getting a subscription and keeping fingers crossed that they continue to offer some more traditional spaces... I will say, several issues prior to the most recent had some appealing decor while the current issue is disappointing...

@steviebI just let my subscription to Veranda lapse for the same reason:  it's increasingly focused on cold, contemporary, edgy styles.

@vsm In case you weren't aware, Veranda, which I agree, had gotten largely pretty unappealing, as it tried to emulate Architectural Digest, is recently under a new editor and the offices have moved back to the south. I picked up the first issue under new leadership and it was lovely. Unfortunately, it seems most former magazine outlets are scaling back or eliminating their magazine racks altogether, and I wasn't able to find the May issue, so don't know how it worked out. I did pick up the June issue, but have yet to go through it... I'm reluctant to enter a subscription until I see how this version of the magazine is going to look over the longer haul...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@vsm wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@vsm In case you weren't aware, Veranda, which I agree, had gotten largely pretty unappealing,as it tried to emulate Architectural Digest, is recently under a new editor and the offices have moved back to the south. I picked up the first issue under new leadership and it was lovely. Unfortunately, it seems most former magazine outlets are scaling back or eliminating their magazine racks altogether, and I wasn't able to find the May issue, so don't know how it worked out. I did pick up the June issue, but have yet to go through it... I'm reluctant to enter a subscription until I see how this version of the magazine is going to look over the longer haul...

Thanks for the info, @stevieb .  I think I'll wait until they offer me a very good deal to renew, and then do so for a year.  I'll be interested to hear what you think of the June issue.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@vsm  Will let you know... FYI, there were a series of purges involving editorial leadership of a number of the Hearst magazines... Both Veranda and House Beautiful did a house cleaning and virtually everyone was let go and replaced with new staff... There was some degree of trepidation as to how that would pan out, but so far, though it really is too early to tell, both magazines seem to be holding their own...

Traditional Home, once a favorite, has really tanked as far as I'm concerned. While I realize 'traditional' doesn't necessarily have to equate to chintz,or to brown Queen Anne or Chippendale style furniture, I rarely see much in the magazine I'd personally call 'traditional'... They too recently appointed a new editor, but, from where I sit, she has never improved any magazine with which she's been associated and, so far, this is proving not to be an exception.

One magazine I am finding quite appealing is Southern Home, published by Hoffman Media... Though most of the homes featured are situated in the south, whether one lives in the south or not, the interiors are usually lovely and are a nice mix of styles... There are also minimal ads, which is a nice change...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@vsm  Will let you know... FYI, there were a series of purges involving editorial leadership of a number of the Hearst magazines... Both Veranda and House Beautiful did a house cleaning and virtually everyone was let go and replaced with new staff... There was some degree of trepidation as to how that would pan out, but so far, though it really is too early to tell, both magazines seem to be holding their own...

Traditional Home, once a favorite, has really tanked as far as I'm concerned. While I realize 'traditional' doesn't necessarily have to equate to chintz,or to brown Queen Anne or Chippendale style furniture, I rarely see much in the magazine I'd personally call 'traditional'... They too recently appointed a new editor, but, from where I sit, she has never improved any magazine with which she's been associated and, so far, this is proving not to be an exception.

One magazine I am finding quite appealing is Southern Home, published by Hoffman Media... Though most of the homes featured are situatied in the south, whether one lives in the south or not, the interiors are usually lovely and are a nice mix of styles... There are also minimal ads, which is a nice change...

@steviebYou know so much about this -- are you in publishing?  I agree with you about Trad Home -- there's a big difference between giving a publication a fresh update and completely abandoning the style that got you where you are.  At your suggestion, I'm going to take another look at Southern Home.  Attractive interiors, comfortably mixed styles, and minimal ads (can they survive that?) are a draw for me.