Esteemed Contributor

I'd like to do one with a Siamese fighting fish in a bowl, inside the cage. 

My mom used to spray paint bird cages and then decorate with artificial flowers and birds.  I think it was popular where we were.

I"m certain you could make a nice vignette, like those you've shown, in one.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

Put it on a covered porch with a plant or battery operated candle in it. At the  end of the season throw it away. It served its purpose. 

Respected Contributor

The first picture looks like a junk door was emptied & thrown into the cage...a simple branch with a birds nest would look better.

Super Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

the only cage i ever had was in the 60's at my mom's house....it was the cage for our canary....mom was a clean freak....one day she was vacuuming the bottom of the cage....and sucked up the bird.....true story....i have never forgotten that day....that was the end of cages.......

😳 oh my!

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio  I like the one you pictured.  Keep it out and keep playing with it in your mind.  You might get some ideas from catalogues.  If you have old wine corks you could fill it up with those.  How about using those colored glass spheres that used to be so popular, or seashells, or large polished stones?  

I have four of the bird cage style lanterns.  One is  12" high from Hallmark that was a Mothers Day promo a few years back and came with a flameless candle and notepad and looks similar to yours in terms of color, but not as elaborate in style.  I'm thinking of putting some old skeleton keys and some old miniature leather bound books propped up in it since I seldom use the candle.  I, too, get tired of the candle rings and/or fake greenery, except at Christmas time.  Sometimes in the spring I put a faux birds nest with eggs in it.

From Pier 1 I have a 21" very lightly distressed antique white lantern with a very elaborate, very fine, lacy pierced top and glass walls--sort of looks like a gazebo--and two smaller ones in the same pattern that are probably 14".  I use real pillar candles in those usually.  Purchased in 2018 on clearance.  When the candles are lit a beautiful pattern is created on the nearest wall and the large one really throws sufficient light so that in an electric outage I was able to use it for reading or walking around without bruising my shins.

In the warm weather I take them out to the backyard at night and light candles while I have an after dinner drink but take them back inside since Pier 1 has discontinued this particular model and I just love their appearance and don't want the weather to ruin them.

I'm thinking about buying the fake "snowballs" and faux poinsettia picks and putting those in the two smaller ones next Christmas for my grandsons so they have a little surprise when they visit me.

When I first moved in the oldest who was nearing his fourth birthday innocently informed me that I needed to get more toys at my house for his younger brothers and him.  (I was still unpacking and all I had handy was Playdoh, cookie cutters, Crayola crayons and paper.)

Anyway, have fun; my bet is you will come up with something very creative!

Honored Contributor

DUST!  Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio 

I would make it into a lamp.

Old Vintage Wire Bird Cage...re-purposed into a unique table lamp!!   Love the shade!                                                                                                                                                      More

Honored Contributor

Hard to dust the stuff on the inside.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I had 1 that I used in Spring and Summer for about 5 years. I used it with flameless candles, seashells, floral arrangements, and more.

I just donated it 2 weeks ago....I got tired of it and it looked dated to me.

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

the only cage i ever had was in the 60's at my mom's house....it was the cage for our canary....mom was a clean freak....one day she was vacuuming the bottom of the cage....and sucked up the bird.....true story....i have never forgotten that day....that was the end of cages.......

@nana59 

No offense, but I could've gone all night without hearing that!

Poor birdie......

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.