Frequent Contributor

Decorating for after 1 year burial mass for young nephew questions?

I am hoping the lovely posters will help  me with a flower  question. Thanks

Now in advance! This Saturday my husband and I are hosting an after  mass  brunch for our 23 year old  nephew who past suddenly last Sept.I have hosted many events , but need input on flower displays for this. It is being held at our Yacht club on the  water .very casual. I thought I would fill some large antique beautiful basket s  with mums and small  decoritive grass, maybe some Maple leaves on the stalk. Also some old blue glass canning jars filled with mums and black eyed Suzy's some Maple leaves. These things are very brightly colored and freeform. Is this too  bright and festive? I really dislike  florist flowers for a casual event,but don't want to offend anyone. This really should be a celebration of his life, but still  respectful . any input or suggestions? thanks,  Maryanne

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Decorating for after 1 year burial mass for young nephew questions?

@keeper of the koi, I think your floral choices are lovely and appropriate. This is a celebration of his LIFE, beautifully represented in full color. My condolences to your family, there is nothing more difficult in this life than losing a child. Heart

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Trusted Contributor

No, I don't think it's too bright and festive.  After all he was a young man and it is a celebration of his life.  I speak from experience -- we lost our 33 yr old son to cancer on 12/10/10 and had a memorial for him the following January.  We set up a memorial table of pictures of him, childhood memoriabilia,  his first Bible and other things related to him being a part time DJ. 

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you ladies for your advice.i feel better about the flowers now.The last thing I would want to do is offend his parents. Henderson, please accept my condolences on your son. I hope you have found peace. This has affected our family in so many ways. Last year we lost my brothers 22 year old son Aug1 in a fatal bike accident  than Sept15 my husband's brothers son 23died suddenly from  natural causes never ill. I have seen first hand the sorrow  for my husband's family at Christmas , this as heartbreaking.also my brother a single father , his only son.... I spend countless hours on the phone , I can only cry with him I cannot helpI pray endlessly for God to send him a woman who will help him carry his burden. Help him live again. Henderson you have joined a club no one wants to, my heart goes out to you. Sending you my love.....Maryanne

Honored Contributor

Very tasetful and fall-like for a wonderfully respectful celebration this time of year.

Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@keeper of the koi, I think your floral choices are lovely and appropriate. This is a celebration of his LIFE, beautifully represented in full color. My condolences to your family, there is nothing more difficult in this life than losing a child. Heart

ITA this conveys thoughtfulness and caring! As @MaggieMack mentioned, a ceremony such as this does set the atmosphere of celebrating his life in full color. Your plan sounds uplifting. 

My opinion also is that flowers displayed in a less-formal way are reminiscent of one just stepping in from fields of wild-flowers gathered by hand. 

My heart goes out to anyone who has lost a child so (((hugs))) are in order!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Your ideas sound ver nice...you can also add a few potted fall mum plants...

Honored Contributor

I think it sounds lovely and appropriate and very sweet of you to think of it.  My only suggestion is to not make it very autumnal and here's way.  I have a few friends who lost loved ones near a holiday.  And sometimes holiday themes make them think back to that--so just go with what you are planning, only don't maybe make it very "fall" themed. . . But it sounds absolutely beautiful! 

You always cherish and remember the special people who do things like this to support you.  Bless your heart!