Valued Contributor

Re: Decorating Outdoors.. Do you decorate your porch, deck, etc?

@scotnovel, Your porch sounds very well done to me! I've simplified everything the past few years, and love it that way. I can't remember seeing a wall vase like the one you mentioned, but it's a neat and easy way to celebrate the seasons by changing it out. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up to decide just how much I'll do outside. We've had so much rain and chilly temps this month, that I wonder how much time I'll be outside. Thanks so much for posting! pinky

Valued Contributor

@ID2 I hope you'll have many happy years at the lake! You don't need much in a beautful area like that. We have a small lake across the street, and I love having the water there. We can see the water from the side of the deck that's uncovered, but it can get pretty warm there in the summer. Thank you for posting, and enjoy yourself in your new place! pinky

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in a condo and have a very tiny "porch" I decorate that with a seasonal wreath.....

I have a small patio and do limited decorating...I have a wall mounted decorative clay cat bird feeder....wind chimes....a rocker and small table to place my favorite beverage.....I have container plants and indoor/outdoor rug to keep feet cool in the hot summers for my feet and my kitties' paws....(and I have a couple of spare chairs for guests that I keep in the storage room which is located off the patio).....The thing that really makes my patio pretty in the spring and summer is a crape myrtle tree with beautiful magenta blooms located outside my patio fence......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

@Spurt, It sounds like you make the most of your little patio. The set up sounds so cozy, welcoming, and homey, especially with a nice rug, and the beautiful flowers you have planted. I've only seen them in photos, but always admire anyone who can grow them. Enjoy your beautiful place, Spurt! Thanks for posting! pinky

Honored Contributor

I'm more the natural look. I like the wild of it all. Deck may have swing, chairs and grill, but the yard, is my wildlife sanctuary!! The backyard is what sold me on this home. No neighbors in back of us, just wildlife.

Honored Contributor

@flickerbulb wrote:

I have been looking at sheds to put in the backyard. I really want one that is cute and not utitarian, but I must have one that meets hurricane codes.

I kind of like this model because you can add a little porch to the front. I can envision how I would decorate it! I have a little bistro set and would install window boxes with flowers!

I could even put out some patriotic bunting on the rails.

I can't imagine this meeting the Miami dade hurricane codes unless you could somehow tie the roof down to a footer in the ground. As they were building homes where I live we noticed how much had to be done to make the homes meet codes - unbelieveable. A shed like this would just become flying debris. Our plan had a gazebo looking over the lake and it didn't meet codes for hurricanes so the HOA was required to either make it meet code or take it down, so down it came.

Esteemed Contributor

@flickerbulb wrote:

I have been looking at sheds to put in the backyard. I really want one that is cute and not utitarian, but I must have one that meets hurricane codes.

I kind of like this model because you can add a little porch to the front. I can envision how I would decorate it! I have a little bistro set and would install window boxes with flowers!

I could even put out some patriotic bunting on the rails.

@flickerbulb, I saw a little house a lot like this one today, way out in the country.  It was in someone's side yard, with large pavers creating a path to it from the "real" house.   Its porch had what looked to be a small bistro set, flower pots, including rail planters, and it also appeared to serve as a playhouse for a little girl based on some random things here and there.

I wish I had been able to snap a picture of it.  It was so cute and I thought of this post.   

Valued Contributor

@qualitygal Thanks so much for posting, QualityGal. You home sounds like we could be neighbors as we also have lots of deer, rabbits, and all manner of birds here too. I'd rather watch any of them than the latest new release in the theater anyday. We have a few acres, but half is mowed while the rest is just natural.

You have all of the same things outside that we do on your deck. I'll have a couple pots of herbs to put out this year, as the pot I have has a few varities in it, and will need some to be transplanted so they'll have room to grow. I hope you're having some decent weather to sit out in all the beautiful scenery nature has provided. We've lived here for many years now, and I couldn't imagine living elsewhere. It sounds like you feel like I do. I was so happy to see a post from another nature lover, who lived in a similar place to ours. So nice to see your post! pinky

Trusted Contributor

@151949

The picture I posted does not have the required base for the shed. They have a full bottom that is bolted down and the straps are attached to the ground.

If you have ever seen the inside of one of these sheds, they are steel reinforced and the roofs are attached that are up to code.

The county I live in is so stringent with building codes, it would not pass inspection if it were just a rattletrap building.

I have been through LOTS of hurricanes and tropical storms since I grew up here and have seen the damage firsthand. Remember Andrew? He changed all the building codes forever.

Frances and Jeanne made landfall at almost the same exact spot right in my area one month apart. My workplace was damaged and I was unable to go to work. I sat here for a week without power.

I am sure you remember those devastating storms.

There were blue tarps everywhere because the roofs were damaged and there were not enough roofing companies to fix the destruction. I am not paying $$$$ for something that is going to fly through my windows or roof.

@SHOPR

One of the extras you can add is the little porch and I think it adds to the charm. I want a shed that does not look like a shed and this might be as close as I can get!

I can also get a metal roof instead of shingles. I am also thinking of replacing my house roof and and probably going with a metal roof so they will match. I see more and more metal roofs around here and they look so nice! Plus, they never have to be replaced!

Honored Contributor

When I lived in a four-seasons climate I would love decorating our porch. My favorite was autumn - huge baskets of mums and a beautiful wreath.

Where I live now, it's not as inspiring.  Pictured below is my extensive summer decoration:

red/white/blue bow $3.69 at Walmart

porch 2016.jpg

~ house cat ~