Valued Contributor

Decorating Outdoors.. Do you decorate your porch, deck, etc?

If you have outdoor living space like a porch, patio, or deck, do you do anything special to decorate it? I see so many neat pieces this year in the garden sections of the stores I frequent that it's hard to hold back. We have an L-shaped deck, with half covered with a roof, and the other half open. I used to do more decorating out there, but as our family has gotten smaller, I've lost some inspiration to spiff things up outside like I used to. This year I've felt very inspired early on, but the cold spring is making me rethink my plans.

My favorite look years ago ended up very short lived. I decorated with lots of sunflowers (silk), and other pretties and sadly the bees took a tremendous liking to the flowers. As in, I could hardly get past them to get inside the house! lol I have posted this story before, but hope it might save someone else some trouble if they've not read it before.

Does anyone have plans they'd like to share, or even post pictures if you'd like? Do you have a favorite decoration for outdoors?  I bought a very cute rug for the deck, an 8x 10, but my family feels it will get little use, so  they feel like I should save myself some work and use it somewhere inside instead. I remember some great past threads with beautiful pictures of porches and it made me think about what everyone was thinking of doing for this year. Hope you'll stop by and chat!

Respected Contributor

Re: Decorating Outdoors.. Do you decorate your porch, deck, etc?

I've been thinking about what to do on my small front porch myself lately.  I have a fragrant climbing rose hiding the area of my porch that faces the street with two trellises supporting it.  I need to paint them this year. 

I like to put a big flowerpot in the corner of the porch.  This year, I'll likely plant red wave petunias in that pot.

I have a couple of bistro sets and two benches as well as one super-comfortable iron chair and am deciding what to put there.

I painted my front door what was supposed to be an ultra-shiny tourquoise, but it ended up being much too green, so I'll have to repaint that.

My plans are neither creative nor fun, but it will make a nice difference once I'm finished with it.

Honored Contributor

I don't decorate the patio, but I do decorate the front porch.  I put a big wreath on the front door, a decorative mat, and a ceramic garden stool with a Bethlehem lights petunia hanging basket sitting on top.  I'll be putting it out in the next couple weeks.

Honored Contributor

I have all blooming shrubs and trees, plus a number of very tall evergreens.   Also, a sculptured hedge down by the road.    And a very big water bill (!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I always decorate my front porch for every season. There is always a seasonal wreath on my doors.  I will be decorating for Memorial Day with my 9/11 flag being center of attention.  I have Welcome signs and other colorful hangings that I hang from the brick.

Valued Contributor

@Ms X, Your roses must be amazing with all of that fragrance, and the red petunias will be a beautiful compliment. I've never seen them that I can recall. You have some nice furniture for your porch as well, so I know it will be very cozy and pretty. Good luck with the painting! I don't mind small projects, but I'm just not up to the big ones anymore. Thanks for stopping in! pinky

Valued Contributor

@GCR18  Your porch sounds very inviting and pretty. I haven't bought a new mat for sometime, but have seen some nice ones this year so I'll have to choose one. I only decorate the deck area under cover, as it gets too hot on the other side. Hope you'll have fun beautifying and enjoying your porch this spring and summer. Thanks for posting! pinky

Valued Contributor

@Desertdi, Your trees and shrubs must be so pretty with all of the flowers! Can't say I envy the water bill though... We have the change of seasons here in PA, and it seems the warmer ones are shorter all the time! Please feel free to post photos if you can. I love anything outdoors. I just looked up from my screeen and we have snow falling with our rain again.  sigh..... Thanks for posting! pinky

Valued Contributor

@ANewHue, I love to see homes that change their wreaths, flags, etc. with the seasons and holidays. You home will be very welcoming with all the things you have to display. I love brick and stone anywhere on a home, but we only have it indoors. You're so lucky to be able to display things on the brick. DH has made me a few holes to hang things on our kitchen brick, but that the extent of it here. lol Enjoy your decorating, and thanks for posting your plans! pinky

Honored Contributor

I have a nice big front porch, that until last year was decorated in the 'good' weather months with patriotic primitive items. While I kept them I wanted a new look after the same things for a decade.

I went with a brown and black primitive theme. I got an outdoor rug from Q, with brown and black scroll and placed it under my two Cracker Barrel rocking chairs, with a primitive apple crate turned on end for a table. I added some pottery with black star pattern, some wrought iron baskets, several black and tan stars and some brown old ceramic jugs for on the antique school desk in the corner, and was happy with the new look.

The back deck is small, but got another outdoor rug like the one in the front, several Bliss chairs in the jacquard pattern and some really nice metal scroll end tables from Kohl's website that match the chairs pattern and coloring perfectly. Added a couple of planters with flowers and called it done. 

Both porches have been redecorated in the last two years, and I'm so happy with the new look.