Honored Contributor

I try to keep it asymmetrical and unpredictable.

Honored Contributor

@silver fox....my fireplace is large fieldstone - floor to ceiling- the room is modern farmhouse, obviously I do not know your room style but have you tried using an open frame  or old window pane and haning a wreath in the center?  Depending on the size of your mantle, that may be all you need.

It's cold in my area today but I am thinking of taking down the  after Christmas decor and starting spring decorating.....unless my dh thinks of something more interesting to do!

Honored Contributor

My mantel decorating issues stem from the fact that I DON'T HAVE ONE ANYMORE (BOO HOO BOO HOO!)!

I love fireplaces and mantels, was raised with them, and in my first home, had my dream fireplace/mantel. I was never challenged and loved everything I did with it. I've been gone from that house for 25 years, and still pine away for that fireplace/mantel.

I do see a lot of pictures online of mantels and it is obvious people have no idea what to do with the space. So many are way over crowded and the scale of things for the space isn't right. The most often thing I see in real life mantel shots (as opposed to professional photographs from catalogs etc.) is an excess of too small pieces all lined up in a row.

I think the most challenging mantels are the very thin and long ones. You have no option but to place things in a straight line when they are very thin, so it is even more important to get height variations and space in between items, in that situation.

The other thing I'm always mindful of, when decorating a mantel, is what you hang on the wall above it, and how it is hung. So many people hang wall art/pictures/paintings way too high. They are almost on the ceiling. The size and height of anything hung above the mantel is really important in the look of the space too, and often overlooked.

For those lucky enough to still have mantels, enjoy them. I know I would be 'dressing' mine over and over for all the seasons and at every whim when I wanted a new look. 

Esteemed Contributor

Doing something different, although husband keeps thinking we should fill the mantel shelf with items. (He was raised in a home with tchotchkes trinkets) Mantel is empty but the big, framed art piece above the mantel pops now. Lower fireplace area has tall, candlesticks on each side. Classic and simple. I like it.

My sis-in-law randomly fills her mantel with favorite things, and that looks great, too.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I try to keep it asymmetrical and unpredictable.

I prefer some asymmetry too.  For example, both candlesticks on the same side rather than one on each end (which looks like an altar).

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom  I'm not a good one to ask for ideas since I'm trying to learn as well. Pinterest is very helpful. What I did after looking at Pinterest (for the time being) was to add a large slender vase with a small neck on one end filled it with two large twigs with branches. On the other end I placed three candle holders (all off white) with candles in varying sizes. The one closest to the end is largest then they reduce down. In the middle I placed three stacks of antique books and placed orbs on them ~ varying heights. I learned two things so far ~ take advantage of the height on the ends and then smaller in the center. And ~ less is more. I was thinking about those with a really slender mantle that you could get the height by using pictures and leaning them against the wall. I'm a lover of still life. I plan to go "on the hunt" maybe next week and see what i can come up with. I loved the "wheat" that was displayed in a tall slender vase that was shown on Pinterest.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

I think mantles are hard to decorate because people put too many things on them in a row or they use the wrong scale.

I really dislike seeing a lot of "little" items up there.  

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio my mantle is long and thin, yes, difficult sometimes to decorate but I have learned that pedistals, candlesticks, etc, help to elevate things to different heights, for visual interest.....sorry you no longer have a mantle....mine is the focal part of our family room.

Esteemed Contributor

Photos--clocks--cat and dog --small dolls and one tall vase.

Honored Contributor

When I got a sample magazine from the Fixer Upper lady on HGTV, she had some tips for a perfect mantle. My neighbor followed her instructions and it really made an impact. Although I can't recall the specifics, I think five items were suggested. Stacked items (like books) were shown. So was a picture (perhaps a map). Something from nature (like a plant) was shown too. Asymmetrical seems to give a more relaxed feel.