Esteemed Contributor

I constantly face a challenge when decorating our mantle. Fuss and fuss and change and fuss. Nothing pleased my eye. I finally went on pinterest and looked up how to dress a mantle. I was going about it all wrong. Secret is heavy on both ends and filler in the middle. I had to hunt through the house for a few things, but I'm satisfied and next time I am out and about, I will look for some things that may suit me better.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

@pattypeep.....My mantle is very long.  Years ago I thought I had to have it decorated end to end...but discovered that it looks much better when I decorate 1/2 of the mantle (center) and leave the far ends bare.  Makes it much easier to decorate, looks better as well.

For me, usually in the center is the largest piece...mirror, candelabra, or I use a black metal piece that has 3 glass containers. I fill it with moss and short greens. and add a touch of color that coordinates with the room,  and then work off either side coordinating things, but never have I done matchy, matchy.  Have fun.  I reall enjoy decorating my mantle for the seasons.

Christmas is the only time I decorate the entire length..

Regular Contributor

I have the same problem I’m okay for holidays but for day to day I am never

happy with how mine looks.. I have 2 large candlesticks on mine now at each 

end. It’s really bare. Suggestions?

Frequent Contributor

Photos???

Trusted Contributor

Re: Decorating A Mantle

[ Edited ]

I'm in the same boat.  I went to Pinterest also and couldn't find a thing that I liked. It seems that everything they showed had either a mirror on picture in the middle.  Not my taste.  It sure is a challenge and the worse part is I used to be so good at things like this.  Right now I have three pillar candles, varying heights, on either end but the middle is bare.I  Ugh  .  .  

Honored Contributor

I have mantle issues too.  LOL.  My mantle is long enough, but the width is too narrow.  I'd like to put something bigger on it, but I think it accentuates how narrow it is.  If I put something that looks to fit widthwise, it looks undersized.  At some point, I'd like to replace it.

Esteemed Contributor

Mantles should be easy - but they are not!  Tall candlesticks don't work for me - so I have one QVC disney (what are they called) white short fat candle that comes on around 5:00 - reset when sunset changes.  One average size picture works and I have/need two small BOSE TV speakers on outer ends.  You could use something similar in size .  I find not to overload the mantle with too much stuff - 5 or 6 pieces works on mine.  Clean lines and one battery candle to light ithe spot up.

Esteemed Contributor

One look I like is adding a mantle scarf.

Old school, romantic...maybe even a bit shabby chic. Heritage Lace has them as well as seasonal looks. Most are polyester and wear well without the expense of real lace.

Honored Contributor

I always have a challenge with ours too. We have a floor to ceiling stone fireplace, with uneven stones, so nothing can be hung on them. Our mantle is beautiful, but not that long and very thick. We also have an oak mantle clock I won't part with because it was a gift from my mom when we moved in here. Right now I have the clock in the middle, two family pictures on each side, and tall winter floral arrangements on each end. I have a "basket" vase that I put different florals in, and once in a while I use flameless candles or lanterns instead.

For Christmas in the past I've taken the clock down, but I miss it. I'm so used to sitting on the couch and looking at it. So this year I left it up, but I wasn't able to put as many decorations on as I usually do.  

If anyone else has any other suggestions or ideas, I'd appreciate them! I'll also take your advice @pattypeep and do some research! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Silver Fox1 wrote:

I'm in the same boat.  I went to Pinterest also and couldn't find a thing that I liked. It seems that everything they showed had either a mirror on picture in the middle.  Not my taste.  It sure is a challenge and the worse part is I used to be so good at things like this.  Right now I have three pillar candles, varying heights, on either end but the middle is bare.I  Ugh  .  .  

@Silver Fox1  Pinterest is a good place to start. I have two pillar candlesticks with candles on one end, different sizes and on timers. Other end matching vase with tall wheat to match the height of the candles. In the middle I bought a small wood tray from Etsy. In the fall I filled it with small velvet pumpkins. Right now I have three large orbitals in it placed in the center of the mantle.