Trusted Contributor

@lolakimono, I believe the furn. needs to be rearranged(is that a word LOL?) First the prints needs to be changed. Then the person not able to move chair from dining table. Would end up sitting on lap of person on couch. room could be lovely with a few changes.

Honored Contributor

Its not my style, but the library looks so much better than that dinning room....

One trend that I found interesting in helping friends pick out an apartment was that new apartment floor plans do NOT have a dinning room or even a dinning area.....you have an island where you can put bar stools to eat...or eat in your living room....  The leasing agents said this was the way millenlials like to live.... My friends managed to squeeze a small table and create a dining area...but it cut into their living room.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

The house we raised our kids in - stayed 24 years - had a south-facing, enclosed sun room with no vents. Dining room opened to sun room. That sun room was hot or cold all the time and we didn't use it. We opened the wall between dining room and sun room, creating a combo dining room and sitting / reading area.

Basically, moved the hot sunroom space inside the air conditioned/heated house. It made our kitchen / dining / hearth area 40' long and great for entertaining. Worked for us.     

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I love library rooms but the furniture is not appealing to me.  I would redo in that department and make changes. I would also have color in the window treatment.

Respected Contributor

I like the new library instead of the old dinning room. However the first picture looks like a real family's room ( the way I think most people live).

It is obvious to me that this room has been staged, and rarely do people live as portrayed in this room.

Esteemed Contributor

I really don't care for either look but I'd rather have the dining room and redo it

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I like the library in the after! I don't have a Dining Room in our downsized home, but in our other home, we did have a Formal Dining Room ,a nd I loved it! 

I think depending on how often you would use is a big factor, if I were to build a home today I would not probably have one, but just a very large kitchen!

The library in this pic is nice, with the exception of the big picture in the middle-not necessary!

Respected Contributor

I would not want to give up my dining room. I don't use it a lot but it is there when I do want to use it.

I love books, too. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Why put a sofa in front of the bookcases.  How do you reach the books behind the sofa?  

------------------------------------------

I have a similar space - but my area is larger and I have both dining table and chairs, AND bookcases.   (Actually, I have bookcases all over the apartment.  I'm a bibliophile!)

The dining area is the shorter part of an L shaped area.   I have a galley kitchen, and this is the only place to eat!  

And, it's also a catch-all space where I drop things when I come home.  It's my "landing zone." 

Living room is right angle to dining area.   For an apartment, my living room is large.

Honored Contributor

I don't see a dining room anywhere.  I see a table and chair set a few feet from a sitting area. That section of the room is being used as a closet.

It looks to me like they removed the table and chairs and put some bookcases in the living room.

It is an improvement, but then of course, anything would have been an Improvement.