Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I don't see a dining room anywhere.  I see a table and chair set a few feet from a sitting area. That section of the room is being used as a closet.

It looks to me like they removed the table and chairs and put some bookcases in the living room.

It is an improvement, but then of course, anything would have been an Improvement.

I agree, not a dining room, but a dining area and yes, used as a coat closet. 

And a wall of bookshelves doesn't make it a library.

Looks to be an old house looking at the radiator under the window and the wide floor moulding.  I bet the house is pretty nice and would be certain it did have a dining room.  

Wonder what they did with the high chair?

Respected Contributor

Since my formal dining room is open to my kitchen (as of 8 years ago), I've often thought that if the 3-4 steps down to the living room become a problem for DH or me, I could easily transform the DR into a sitting area with TV. It's quite large--big enough for a table that seats 10, plus china cabinet--so would be very comfortable. I have a dining nook in the kitchen, which is where we eat all the time anyway--no more big family gatherings.

Honored Contributor

The "after" has the advantage of at least being cohesive, and a wall of books brings needed warmth.  If they'd wanted to retain the dining ability, they could have put a table there still, and with a little skill, it'd be a nice dual purpose space.

Our small dining room is a combo like that.  My books are all there, and to me it makes the room more intimate, and gives life to a dining area that may not always get used that much.

Honored Contributor

I think this is very practical, and smart, to repurpose a space from something you don't use, to one you do. 

Me though, I love a formal dining room. Even it it wasn't used much, I'd keep it as a dining room, unless space was very limited and I needed it to be something else pretty badly. I just have a love for formal dining rooms. And when I have one, I actually do make use of it regularly, and don't save it for 'good'.

Contributor

Stunningly beautiful and alot more useful.

Respected Contributor

I love my dining room even though it isn't used much. I don't have that many books and they are other places in my house. My favorites are in a bookcase.

Honored Contributor

I dislike both. They look cramped  and like a furnished rental.

I grew up in a family that always ate in the dining room, even breakfast. The door between the kitchen and dining room was kept closed during meals.

No one wants seated near and looking into the kitchen at a restaurant so  why would they want that at home.