Valued Contributor

Re: Decluttering Friends ! Need encouragement.

This is a touchy subject. I try so hard to keep things cleaned up, packed up and organized. DH can't get rid of anything as he may need it. I really tried to accommodate him, when we moved we purchased a house adequate for our needs on 16 acres (he wanted more land, compromise.) It also had a small ranch house (30x50) that he could use for his shop. The outside of it is nice we added window boxes and shutters. Not enough space...in addition to all the other hobbies, past and present (that he has to save everything from), metalworking, hunting, fishing, bicycling, skating, he began collecting old cars. We than had to add a large barn so he could add a car lift and store all of them. If only I could have one space that is mine. basement is full of his stuff also. ckr1747, those textbooks of your DH, I finally got dh to toss college sweats I found tucked in his closet before we moved and he was 64 at the time! Whenever I clean up a space he immediately finds something of his to fill it up. So frustrating, after 42 years I just bite my tongue lock myself in the bathroom and scream!

Contributor

Flylady.net
Valued Contributor

We just got done decluttering our house. We live in Nebraska so most of it was during the winter months. We are in our 70s so when the time comes to sell our house we are ready. Did not want to leave it for the kids to do. Feels so good.

Honored Contributor

The only thing I can say is keep plugging away at it. It sounds like you made progress in the basement, just not as much as you would have liked.

Super Contributor

On 9/6/2014 leapergirl said: Flylady.net
Fly lady is a huge help for decluttering. Been a fan for many years.
Super Contributor

I am plugging away at decluttering. Some may wonder why this is so important, so I am explaining since I just need to unload. I don't want to complain to friends and family.

He is a pretty healthy 74 year old and I am 69 and a cancer survivor of 6+ yrs. Lets face it 74 and 69 no longer move as well and as fast as when we were in our 40's or even 50's.

We watch grandkids this week 10 hours a day for 3 days. Some may say quit watching grandkids. They are a joy to both of us, and we are a positive influence on kids and parents. The family is getting ahead, since our son got a much better job a yr ago in June. Our grandson 20 mos is doing well, however a little late in walking and now talking. Our granddaughter started kindergarten in sept, and she is doing well. That's enough about them.

All three of my husbands siblings have put there places on the market to down size or better their lives. My hubby mows 2 1/2 or 3 acres and in PA it rained all summer. Lots of times he mowed it 2 times, then needs to go over to pick up grass.

I have always been an insightful person, and have good financial sense, although we have a financial planner, I would like to have our home ready to sell when and if he decides to finally sel or one of our health declinesl. We did ride through a couple plans last weekend. I would like a smaller new or almost new ranch or cottage style in a 55+ plan. There is one plan with the houses, but they are a little crowded, but maybe that's what we need. The other plan we like better, but it isn't a 55+ and most of the houses are 2 story. There are 2 and 3 bedroom carriage houses. I would like to view them. We would need 3 bedroom, since we have family in California.

Tomorrow hubby is golfing, and I have a couple heavy beach type chairs, to take to Goodwill. We threw out a large chair coshion and a large outdoor mat that we used when we had a RV. I had several items he won't agree on. I am vacuuming and cleaning floor as I clear out.

One more thing, I read a book recently, and it mentioned that many times people hold on to stuff to keep from moving or dealing with change.

Thanks for listening.

Super Contributor

On 9/11/2014 bluegrassbaby said:

Interesting tip about Cracker Barrel buying antiques...is that done at their HQ in Lebanon TN. Do you have experience dealing with them in the past? Thanks

I am going to check with my hubby. He got a phone # while at Cracker Barrel. I will let you know.

Honored Contributor

On 8/31/2014 Sooner said:

Get rid of FIVE things a day! It works! Wink

Never heard this tip before. I'd say, as long as it isn't trash (like some people would say, "ok, I just threw away 3 pieces of junk mail and 2 empty cottage cheese containers") that should have been thrown away anyway, but actual stuff that you don't want/need/use anymore, that would really get things moving. I'd bet one would really build momentum and get much more daily. Nice tip.

Respected Contributor

casuallady, I just want to say that I wish for you and your husband a long, healthy life together. Sounds like everything is coming along just fine with the decluttering project.