Respected Contributor

Re: Declutter 2023: What have you purged today?

@Oznell - I totally get what you are saying about holding onto things due to the precarious economy. I think that is partly why I've been keeping things that I normally wouldn't either. Between the "supply chain issues", whatever that means, I don't know if an item will be available if I need it, and even if it is, I don't know if I'll be able to afford it or want to buy it.

But, I really don't like stuffed spaces and I'm getting a bit overwhelmed and frankly, I'm just getting tired of spending hours shuffling stuff around. I've been working on our basement storage room and yesterday I asked hubby if we could go thru all his/the kids camping stuff from when they were in scouts and he was agreeable so we went thru some of the items on our shelves. That's part of the problem too, a lot of the stuff here isn't mine so I can't just get rid of it. 

We made a pile of stuff for the kids to look at to see if they want to keep it or if any of it can be donated and I set aside some other things to either sell or donate. I had a lot of "back ups" that we were keeping just in case and I'm letting some of it go. So far, I just gave an extra crock pot to my son's girlfriend. I have to sort the rest of it out yet. 

Honored Contributor

We are working on another box for Union Mission.  I added 4 handbags, 6 wallets, one shirt and 2 pair of shoes.  Teacher daughter says I have 4 vintage handbags she's going to try to sell online.  

Respected Contributor

I set aside to donate: a water bottle, Christmas tin, pillowcase, bra and a skirt. My son's girlfriend took a pressure canner/cooker and the spiralizer and springform pan that I had previously set aside. 

Tossed: a water bottle, 2 king size pillows, some parts from our old microwave and a can of hairspray. Also a broken produce basket from outside. 

I do have a pile of stuff in the basement set aside to get rid of, I'm not sure what will be donated and what will be tossed, I need to look at it a bit closer and sort out for sure. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Trashed a pair of jeans that got too filthy to even wash, lol, also trashed 3 water tubes that had developed holes over the winter. Pulled another pair of socks that bothered my toes, and some electrical fixtures to donate.
I have another MAJOR project happening so will have much more for trash or donation a bit later on.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello all, 

Haven't been making any huge strides or declutters, but just little things here and there...

Threw out a pair of old (too short) shorts, added another top to my consignment collection, threw out some old makeup items, and a pair of workout socks I noticed had a hole.

Also cleaned out a few files and my desk papers, did more shredding...keeping up pretty good with office papers and mail, and maintaining a neater desk and office by regularly doing this.

Spent more time last week planting and neatening up the deck and outside, rather than inside. Inside things are in order, it's just as I always say...tucked away in closets, outdoor storage, there are always things I could go through again, and reassess/toss.

But I've been busy with a lot of other things so it's easier to do little things here and there, as I'm in a particular closet or storage area, in little bits, than to tear open a closet or start a big project at this time.

Haven't caught up reading here in a while~hope everyone is well & coming along in their projects. Have a good week, everyone! 🌞

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   I have done more than the average cleaning out in my house.  There has only been 1 thing I regret purging.  It was a handcrafted sweater that I bought at a Art Show.  I rarely wore it, it was quite expensive but felt since I didn't wear it, I should let it go...I would probably wear it today!

Honored Contributor

I took a box to the Post Office today for Project Beauty Share as well as tossed a Laura Geller cheek tint that I didn't like and couldn't donate.

Respected Contributor

My decluttering for last week fell of the tracks.  And I fell too.  Got up from reading in my chair, went to the chest to take a BP pill, turned around to go back to my reading and for some unknown reason I fell over backward and hit my head on the corner of the chest.  Had a cat scan and staples put in my head.  

I always heard head wounds bleed alot and I can attest they sure do.  One of the things that got purged was the robe I had on as it was saturated with blood and the shirt under it was cut off so it is also purged.

Also purged 2 other tops and an expired jar of moisturizer.  That was it for my last weeks purge.

Respected Contributor

A Peterboro basket, a new Bath and Body Works candle, a black and white checked table cloth still in the package and a cute tea towel with a black and white cat that says "More cats, less people." And a hot air corn popper still in the box and never used that my daughter gave us. Hope she doesn't come looking for it. The county animal shelter runs a thrift shop near me and I will donate these items to this shelter. Last month I took three occasional tables to them. I am trying to pare down a little at a time. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have just finished a massive decluttering project -- yes, I thought I was done last year but didn't include the garage -- totaling 30 boxes so far for charitable donation. I sold my house several years ago to move in with Mom and take care of her. My stuff went into a storage unit for a few years, then moved to another storage unit, then I finally decided to move it all into one-half of the two-car garage. Mom passed away last year so I was busy in 2022 taking care of the "inside stuff." This month I opened all the boxes in the garage, unwrapped contents and decided what to donate/keep/sell.

Household goods, decor, linens, Christmas, kitchen. You name it.

I fillled a UHaul UBox container for one organization to empty this week. I still have 10 boxes to sort through and they will be donated to a different charity. I'll still have some boxes in the garage of things I want to keep -- I plan to move within 18-24 months -- but not many!

2022 was The Year of the House. 2023 is The Year of the Stuff.  WHEW