Trusted Contributor

Re: Declutter 2022: What have you purged today?

@rnmom wrote:

@HonestLife wrote:

Nobody can read 50+ pages of this ongoing thread. Need a new one weekly. 

@HonestLife - I could maybe start a new one monthly, I don't know if we need one weekly. 

Can anyone else chime in and let me know if they would prefer a monthly thread? 

@rnmom  -  I think people post frequently enough to keep this thread near the top of the home forum.  I think it works fine as is.  

Honored Contributor

@rnmom 

Great start to the New Year!

Honored Contributor

@threecees wrote:

@rnmom  I haven't posted here in a while. I am always looking for tips

and recently joined a decluttering group. I don't think I will do this myself,

would take a while for me, but thought maybe others would be interested.

FB_IMG_1640726683455.jpg

I've done this in the past.

But I'll admit that when it came to ridding myself of what I hadn't worn, I couldn't bring myself to do it!  So it really didn't serve me well.

Good idea, though.  It did make me realize that I don't wear as many things as often as I had thought I did.  So while I didn't actually get rid of anything, I did slow down my buying of new things.

Honored Contributor

@HonestLife wrote:

I'm perfectly fine with a yearly thread.  It's easier for me to follow since I can float just one thread to the top to refer to without having to remember every month or so to switch to a new one.  And I can go back as far as I want to catch up on anything I've missed.

That said, I'm not the creator so I'll follow whatever @rnmom decides.  She's the one that has to find the time to start a new thread if necessary.  I appreciate her efforts.💕

Respected Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@HonestLife wrote:

@HonestLife - I could maybe start a new one monthly, I don't know if we need one weekly. 

Can anyone else chime in and let me know if they would prefer a monthly thread? 

Whatever anyone decides, I'll still be checking in. I didn't start reading last year's until at least halfway into the year, so of course I didn't read back all those pages, but still enjoyed all the current posts, and I read back enough. But to me, whether it's one big thread or monthly, quarterly, doesn't matter. Never found myself wishing it was broken up so...I guess it worked fine for me.

Respected Contributor

@rnmom 

Yearly works just fine for me.  I will be here and reading, and hopefully posting of my purging too!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

Happy New Year DeClutter Bugs! 

@rnmom 

I joined this group last year and it is very convenient as you run it. 😊

The set up works well. With other threads, people are posting on the last months thread when the tnew one  may be up already. Then it's inconvenient to try to transfer your post over to the new  months thread. I usually give up, and not repost on the threads that run this way.

You also can't find it as quickly.  With our thread, if necessary; I can go back through all the pages and reread a post.

Again, I feel It works great as is. Àlso, we can see how much progress we have made by the amount of pages that are displayed each time we post.

I think it should remain the way you originally set it up. If it ain't broke...well you know 😊 
More threads mean more clutter on the forum! 😝 

Respected Contributor

@threecees wrote:

@rnmom  I haven't posted here in a while. I am always looking for tips

and recently joined a decluttering group. I don't think I will do this myself,

would take a while for me, but thought maybe others would be interested.

FB_IMG_1640726683455.jpg

@threecees 

This works for me and I've been doing this ever since I read an organization book.

I didn't know at the time that the author was Jill Martin from GILI and The Today Show. Many great tips. I forget the name of the book but it was really helpful and a fun read. I have it on my old kindle so no clutter there!  LOL

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sentimental things we regretted...had me thinking...yet again!...

I'm definitely one who attaches memories, sentiments to many things, and I'm happy to be surrounded in things I love and have memories for me. Of course, I have to constantly curate and not collect and save it ALL.

In recent years I've had to empty and sell our family home, for mom, then when she passed in 2020, her assisted living apartment, and also things became really sentimental then again.

So yes, as her only (very sentimental) adult child, I inherited it all. Some things that bring me joy are things such as her Polish stoneware I cook with and drink tea out of. Reminds me of her home, her love of buying pretty things, and also the food I used to cook for her, that she enjoyed in these items. 💙

More family albums, pictures, cards from her, handwritten notes, came into my home then too. I also have her perfume, and a capsule collection of clothes. Not too much and not taking up lots of space...but a little collection in a chest my grandpa, her dad, built for her as a baby. A few items in my closet to keep her spirit with me. The clothing may seem funny to keep for some, but it was so much a part of what we shared in life...from a little girl we shopped for pretty clothes, something my mom was so great at, very stylish and loved doing. I have pieces that remind me of that.

@rnmom The two things I regret getting rid of now (at the time I was overwhelmed with months of emptying 46 years of life in that home)...random...two things one big, one very small...

One was a homemade ornament I painstakingly made as a teen, and a few other old Christmas items from my youth that are back in style now, such as bottle brush trees! What was I thinking...it's the nostalgic Christmas items I always love best...but I tossed those things then...I was so "blooped" from doing that large task, and these things were at the end when we were just deciding "keep? toss? keep? toss??" Out they went.

And lastly...My grandmom's secretary. Mind you I'm in a condo, not a big home, that is very light, airy in decor. This piece was big, old, distressed and dark. I kept it in storage a while, but when it came time to empty storage, I just had to make the decision so I felt it had to go. Many times now I see decor pics and do know I could have refurbished it and kept that piece somewhere perhaps...wish I had kept it with me somehow.

Always a journey, a process....everyone needs to just feel it out and do what's good for them. For me it's always a balance. I can curate my memories into my home, as long as bottom line the home still is decluttered and organized...and also tells the story of my life.

Respected Contributor

Yearly works for me as well but I am good either way.  Definitely not weekly though.  

I hope to contribute to this thread more.  As much as I have donated last year, I still find it hard to declutter now.  I am left with hard choices. But I just have too much stuff. I just get concerned with finding things now if I happen to need them.  ..and with the cost. We will see how it goes. 

I have decluttered a frying pan and a garbage bucket to someone that needs it.  Not much but it’s a start. 

I have decluttered some ingredients as well that were expired or just questionable.  I made a cake during the holidays that was not very good.  I am so glad I made a dry run.  So I replaced all the ingredients and made another so Christmas desserts were not ruined. However, I still need to go through my spice cabinet and really toss older spices.  I always think I am going to use these but it doesn’t work out that way. 

I took a kitchen gadget I recently bought back to the store.  I rarely return anything but this was not opened or used.  I know I will use it once if at all so back it went. 

I will try and curtail my shopping in 2022.  As much as I declutter it does not move the needle if I bring in more stuff. It seems to get worse. But the imaginary self as someone mentioned previously gets the best of me. 

Happy New Year, Everyone.