Valued Contributor

Re: Declutter 2022: What have you purged today?

Nobody can read 50+ pages of this ongoing thread. Need a new one weekly. 

Respected Contributor

@4kitties - Happy New Year!

I have gotten rid of all my old prom dresses, bridesmaid dresses, etc. I have only kept my own wedding dress and I've thought about getting rid of that too but I haven't taken the plunge yet.

I donated them years ago, hoping that someone would get some good use out of them. Trying to give them away now would be a joke, they would be SO out of style, no one would probably use them for anything other than a costume.

But I agree with what you are saying, even though they are properly stored away, do you want your hubby or kiddos to have to dispose of it after you are gone? If you know you are never going to use them anymore there really isn't a good reason for them taking up valuable real estate in your home. Maybe take a picture for the memory, and pass on the dress itself? 

Respected Contributor

@threecees wrote:

@rnmom  I haven't posted here in a while. I am always looking for tips

and recently joined a decluttering group. I don't think I will do this myself,

would take a while for me, but thought maybe others would be interested.

FB_IMG_1640726683455.jpg

@threecees - I have never actually done this myself, but it is a great tip, thanks!

Respected Contributor

I have no issues with a yearly thread.  I have no trouble reading it frequently.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I'm retired and finally donated all my suits.

I'm working on my spare room and basement. I lost a lot of weight and have 5 sizes of clothes boxed up. I'm going to donate all except the one size larger.  It's amazing what you collect over time. 

@CalminHeart - It sure is amazing! That's why I feel like I'm always decluttering something. As things are constantly coming in, something needs to constantly be going out, or else we end up with huge collections!  

Glad you are here with us!

Honored Contributor

perhaps monthly or quarterly?

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

I gave 7 boxes to Purple Heart the beginning of December.  They needed winter clothes, so I found coats, sweaters and pants we don't wear anymore.  

Also Christmas decorations and miscellaneous things I no longer use.  

@Foxxee - Wow, that is a lot, great job!

Honored Contributor

sold my first listing of the new year, so happy with that

Respected Contributor

@amyb wrote:

Happy New Year, all!  

Let's hope it's a GOOD one~we ALL could use one!

I've certainly been at a standstill...and my home is in a bit of holiday disarray, as when I got out all my decor, instead of bringing boxes back up to outside storage, I kept it tucked in various rooms, and other things that are still in transition.

SO, yes...a clean slate, time to refresh...soon...today....taking a holiday, and right now blobbing out in pjs with a coffee. 🙂☕️

I still wonder HOW did I do all that decluttering in 2021, and still feel so FULL in this condo?! Ah...well that IS the mystery of stuff sometimes, isn't it?

Glad to see this thread again. Again, mentioning that Decluttering Calender I sometimes refer to, have been following her blog for years..  Beth Vargis's "My Simpler Life" 2022 Decluttering Calender. (Not sure they allow me to post the link here.)

I need to declutter a few pounds too! Good for you, @CalminHeart  for already shedding those unwanted pounds and clothing!

Have a great day, all~updates to come...big, small, baby steps, big steps....wishing us all a fresh start, a new year~health, peace, calm, and comfortable surroundings. 😌🏠

@amyb - I haven't checked that blog yet, I will have to look at it, thanks!

Respected Contributor

@HonestLife wrote:

Nobody can read 50+ pages of this ongoing thread. Need a new one weekly. 

@HonestLife - I could maybe start a new one monthly, I don't know if we need one weekly. 

Can anyone else chime in and let me know if they would prefer a monthly thread?