Valued Contributor

Re: Declutter 2022: What have you purged today?

This forum is my happy place tonight. Do I need to say more about how my weekend is playing out?

It's funny how I can have some object practically on my lap but still miss seeing it.  I make some of my most radical decluttering decisions when feeling despondent, so this mornning I was able to buckle down and filled 4 boxes for donation and a few items tossed into trash bin. I put all 4 boxes in the car and drove a few miles to a St Vincent de Paul thrift location and handed them over to the workers. Except for one box! The box sitting on the seat next to me. Which I only noticed was still there when I was nearly to my house.

This means a return trip, but not until I can fill at least another box. The errant box only contained a stoneware steamer -- from the 70's and not used in this century -- and 2  really lovely vases which I cannot use because my cats discourage me from having  fresh flowers and I dislike fake.  The next round of purging will be more radical than clothes, shoes, and random unused housewares. I better stay really despondent.

Thanks as always to you all who share your decluttering adventures. 

Respected Contributor

@laluzdelmundo wrote:

This forum is my happy place tonight. Do I need to say more about how my weekend is playing out?

It's funny how I can have some object practically on my lap but still miss seeing it.  I make some of my most radical decluttering decisions when feeling despondent, so this mornning I was able to buckle down and filled 4 boxes for donation and a few items tossed into trash bin. I put all 4 boxes in the car and drove a few miles to a St Vincent de Paul thrift location and handed them over to the workers. Except for one box! The box sitting on the seat next to me. Which I only noticed was still there when I was nearly to my house.

This means a return trip, but not until I can fill at least another box. The errant box only contained a stoneware steamer -- from the 70's and not used in this century -- and 2  really lovely vases which I cannot use because my cats discourage me from having  fresh flowers and I dislike fake.  The next round of purging will be more radical than clothes, shoes, and random unused housewares. I better stay really despondent.

Thanks as always to you all who share your decluttering adventures. 

@laluzdelmundo - I am sorry that you are feeling so despondent and that you're weekend doesn't seem to be going well for you. I am glad however, that this forum can be your "happy place". At least you put your energy into something useful rather than just sitting around, so congratulations on that! 

Respected Contributor

I am starting to majorly declutter.  I have always had a donation box going but yesterday I was able to let go of good bakeware/cookware that I just wasn’t using. I used these things maybe 5 times in the years I kept them. They were oval, I like square.  Also let go of lock n locks and just a lot of misc thinks like that but my biggest accomplishment was letting go of my collectibles porclain dolls ad figurines. So may times they were on the chopping block and I couldn’t do it as I tried to find a good home for them. Well I thought I had this time and I tried two churches in a last ditch attempt but they wouldn’t take them so off to the Salvation Army they went.  It killed me a little bit but they were not coming back in.  Also gone, a steam vacuum.  I used this maybe none and it was taking up precious space needed.  I have a long way to go but off to a good start. And the garbage of all the packing paper and boxes gone.  Amazing how much space I gave/give up for things I am not using. 

Long way to go with collectibles but next up are video games. If I don’t hear back from a relative by end of today they are gone. I had these for my nieces and nephews through the years but these are older games and the world has moved on with at least 8 newer versions of systems and newer games.

I did forget to take a shoe rack yesterday and I might put that out today.  I am sure someone will take it. 

@laluzdelmundo, I do my best decluttering when I am in a mood. I was always able to make the tougher choices instead of getting soft on everything.  Yesterday I was feeling quite disgusted and overwhelmed because I took all containers out of their hiding spots and had them everywhere. Been like that for a very long time and yesterday I had enough. Things just have to go.  I am hoping to keep this momentum going.  It always wanes a bit but letting the collectibles go especially was cathartic. 

This thread always keeps me going. I enjoy reading everyones accomplishments big or small, it all counts. 

Have a a nice day. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@amyb: Thank you!

Yes, that's just the size and type of tree that I am looking for. Bought one last night at Home Depot after also checking out WM, Lowe's and Hobby Lobby. I was told by an employee that Target will not have trees out until the day after Halloween. Will check out BB&B, ReStore as well as my local Marshall's which is a very nice store (not all are) A lightly flocked tree would be ideal.

I was told that I can return the tree within 90 days. I taped the receipt to the box. It will remain unopened in my garage until the day after Thanksgiving, which gives me ample time to continue to keep an eye out and pretty easy to return to the store if that's what happens.

If and when it's convenient I would indeed like the info on your tree. TIA for your kindness.

Esteemed Contributor

So on Friday evening I remembered where the document I was searching for might be. Found it (wedding program and invitation from DS & DDIL's wedding)  along with many, many cards given to me by both kids throughout the years. Enjoyed a good cry, as they always wrote nice. loving words in the cards - and still do. I am indeed very blessed.

Just small purges as I go right now. And as others here have said, you must have the proper motivation to make progress and to avoid purge regret. What has been working for me lately is choosing an area daily when possible and spending 15-30 minutes (or more if I'm on a roll). purging.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I am starting to majorly declutter.  I have always had a donation box going but yesterday I was able to let go of good bakeware/cookware that I just wasn’t using. I used these things maybe 5 times in the years I kept them. They were oval, I like square.  Also let go of lock n locks and just a lot of misc thinks like that but my biggest accomplishment was letting go of my collectibles porclain dolls ad figurines. So may times they were on the chopping block and I couldn’t do it as I tried to find a good home for them. Well I thought I had this time and I tried two churches in a last ditch attempt but they wouldn’t take them so off to the Salvation Army they went.  It killed me a little bit but they were not coming back in.  Also gone, a steam vacuum.  I used this maybe none and it was taking up precious space needed.  I have a long way to go but off to a good start. And the garbage of all the packing paper and boxes gone.  Amazing how much space I gave/give up for things I am not using. 

Long way to go with collectibles but next up are video games. If I don’t hear back from a relative by end of today they are gone. I had these for my nieces and nephews through the years but these are older games and the world has moved on with at least 8 newer versions of systems and newer games.

I did forget to take a shoe rack yesterday and I might put that out today.  I am sure someone will take it. 

@laluzdelmundo, I do my best decluttering when I am in a mood. I was always able to make the tougher choices instead of getting soft on everything.  Yesterday I was feeling quite disgusted and overwhelmed because I took all containers out of their hiding spots and had them everywhere. Been like that for a very long time and yesterday I had enough. Things just have to go.  I am hoping to keep this momentum going.  It always wanes a bit but letting the collectibles go especially was cathartic. 

This thread always keeps me going. I enjoy reading everyones accomplishments big or small, it all counts. 

Have a a nice day. 

@aprilskies - great, great job!!

Porcelain dolls are a hard give I think. No one really wants them, or just about any collectible. My mom had some dolls, 5 maybe,  and fortunately someone took them when she died back in 2011.  But it's now 11 years later and it is just really difficult to find people to take them.

I think I read somewhere years ago that the bottom just fell out of the collectibles market after 9/11 and that sounds about right to me.

It is hard to give those type things away emotionally also.  I had Hummels.  Not a ton by any stretch, but several.  I gave all but 3 of them to Goodwill several years ago.  I kept 3.  My original 3 actually. I kept them because I love them.  I should have stuck with those 3 and never have expanded my collection.

you really did a great job yesterday. Bulky items also.  Where you can really tell a difference. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Hi @queendiva ...

So, it's National Tree Company...and I'm not sure I'm allowed to post a link here so I won't, but it's currently still on BB&B website, and for only a little over $200.00.

Not sure you want a slim tree like mine but there's other National Tree Company styles out there online, and probably in B&M stores too. If it is my neighbor's tree that  appealed to you...definitely check your nice Marshalls, and HomeGoods, if you also have a good HG.

Good luck~hope you find one you love for a good price~keep shopping...it's still early enough and a lot out there, and at least you have one for 90 days for backup!

Esteemed Contributor

@amyb : Many thanks! And yes, I do need a slimmer tree. I will look at yours later today. Gotta love BB&B 20%off coupons. Hoping they still have them as I have not shopped there on line in over a year, when I bought my Miele stick vac with coupon.

Only had time for a mini purge yesterday, but it all adds up over the course of a week and a month. Went through the 2 fabric bins in my closet where I store socks and hosiery. 

Collected a small bag of socks, many new, to donate to a charity thrift that I know takes socks. Had to toss 2 pairs of tights that are too large because, while in excellent condition, there is no size tag in either pair.

Also went through one dresser drawer and pulled 1 item to donate. All in I spent probably less than 15 minutes.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@aprilskies - great, great job!!

Porcelain dolls are a hard give I think. No one really wants them, or just about any collectible. My mom had some dolls, 5 maybe,  and fortunately someone took them when she died back in 2011.  But it's now 11 years later and it is just really difficult to find people to take them.

I think I read somewhere years ago that the bottom just fell out of the collectibles market after 9/11 and that sounds about right to me.

It is hard to give those type things away emotionally also.  I had Hummels.  Not a ton by any stretch, but several.  I gave all but 3 of them to Goodwill several years ago.  I kept 3.  My original 3 actually. I kept them because I love them.  I should have stuck with those 3 and never have expanded my collection.

you really did a great job yesterday. Bulky items also.  Where you can really tell a difference. 

@gidgetgh Thank you.  Felt really good to let things go. 

For the collectibles, yes, there is no market, the most I was hoping for was for congregation members to take a piece or two and just enjoy them especially these days as people are going through some tough times. I did keep a couple of pieces but that was it.  If I don’t find a nice spot for them, out they go.  No more things in storage that never see the light of day. 

Next are my dept 56 porcelain houses.  I will keep just a few of them and let the rest go.  Maybe this weekend coming up. 

Respected Contributor

Yesterday and today I continued my brutal look on my stuff.  Went through all of the video games and got rid of maybe 90% of them.  One medium box and 2 bags ready to go to the library.  Also pulled a ton of dvds and some cds that were easy hits as I was going through. 

Surprising to me this morning I was brutal with my clothes.  I was in pretty good shape in this category but I was brutal.  I pulled clothes that were just too cutesy for me now, uncomfortable, never reached for or maybe once a year, etc, or just plain over them.  

I have clothes that are just too small and sometimes feels like I will never fit back into but these extra 30+ lbs are next to declutter although it is tough for me and I can’t seem to stick to a plan.  However this will be the last year I will keep these clothes.  If I am not making strides with weight loss than I need to address these clothes. 

For now though, I have had a productive weekend and feel I made some headway.  I have a long way to go but if I can keep this momentum, I will be in good shape at some point in the near future. 

Keep up the good work everyone. Glad you are all here.  It helps to talk with like minded people and share progress.  Thank you.