Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2022: What have you purged today?

@wagirl wrote:

Yesterday--I got rid of the many shipping envelopes from my packages --why am I saving them for so long???

Today (Saturday) will be going thru the basket full of paperwork---again------ I will shred the junk and file the important ones if needed. Then the big project will be  to transfer over the jewelry from the old armoire to the new one---that will take a few days--I need to sort all that.

Just re -organized my puny closet too--actually have some space in there---- 

Need to load up 2  broken printers  to take to re-cycling and a broken shredder too--

@wagirl - sincere question here, keeping in mind that this is the decluttering thread.....the shipping envelopes.....why do you save them at all?  

When I get something in, the shipping envelopes go in the trash immediately and if it was shipped in a box, I break the box down and put it in my recycling bin right then. It wouldn't occur to me to save shipping envelopes. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh ---I don't really save them all, per se---but like to have a few on hand to re-use if there is need to return an item, especially it it came in a box that doesn't fit into my mail return at my apartment. They just gather until I deal with them---and I do the same thing with the boxes--tear them down and recycle--we get our recycle/garbage picked up 5 days a week at my apt too. And---the padded envelopes I have used to cushion dishes in boxes or protect pictures in frames when I moved a year ago--that was a great way to use them----

Honored Contributor

@queendiva, thank you so much.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

@queendiva  I hope you have a profitable day and some fun while doing your yard sale. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks to all for your good wishes in regards to my LAST and FINAL garage sale.

Always enjoyable and always more effort than profit because of my location. Moved stuff out and made $50.00 in the process. Not great, but not bad.

Made two trips to donate leftover HH items. Full vehicle each time. Will make one last trip next week.

Stopped by 2 other sales and spent $2.00 of my profit on 2 items: a stuffed toy for my dog and a large clear plastic bin that I will need to store summer clothes soon.

I will have time this week to complete the much needed garage purge. Good weather to work in, and trash and recycling pickups will occur on Thursday and Friday. Will schedule time each day to tackle an area.

I am now a lot more reluctant to bring anything into my home. Back on the Purge Train with all of you. Stepped off for the summer and lost track of my goals.

Dumped all my papers for shredding at our annual township free shredding event immediately following my sale.

Filled a bag with trash i addition to everything else. Took inventory of my fall/ winter wardrobe this past week. Very little needed to add.

Honored Contributor

I switched out my closet for the season and let several pieces of clothing go....sigh...the fabric was so nice on most pieces but I rarely wore the items...hopefully someone else will enjoy them.

I did help a friend this week clean out her garage...we got rid of a lot of stuff, she is one of those that never declutters...I was there to help cause I am pretty good at it...I love decluttering and making a better living space, even tho this was her garage.  She wants to work on in the house next, but I won't help until her heart is really ready to declutter...she has a lot of stuff in a small house.  Her things are very nice but she has to be in the mindset. 

Esteemed Contributor

@queendiva Sounds like you’ve done a great job with your decluttering.  

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

You're a good friend and I admire your kindness in wanting to help your friend.

People like us; once on a roll, want to continue purging because it feels so satisfying. I applaud you for recognizing that your friend isn't ready to go all in.

The garage is probably much easier for her to tackle then her house.
Things in the house are more meaningful and harder to purge.
Give her time and see if she brings the subject up to you. If she doesn't, then gently nudge her and see how that goes. 

My mom keeps agreeing to allow my sister and I to declutter  her place and then becomes very agitated when we try to. 
We have decided to leave it alone. She's not ready and may never be. 

Good luck and know you are doing a good thing in helping your friend with such a major task. 😊 

Honored Contributor

@KBEANS ...you are so right.   I did help my friend once in her kitchen...and when ever she could not find something...she 'jokingingly' said I made her get rid of it....I learned my lesson on that first attempt to help her.  

The garage was much easier, but it was the garage after all, ha, ha!!

Esteemed Contributor

Spent about 30 minutes working out in the garage today. One bag full of stuff to the trash, 2 bags and a pair of lamps are in the car and ready to drop off at the local thrift store tomorrow. Maybe another bag will be added before that time. Fed some boxes to the recycling bin as well.

Will be happy when there is a coat drive in a few months. Several to donate.

Still overwhelmed with the amount of clothing to get rid of. I will stop by Catholic Charities tomorrow to see if they will take some to donate to women in need.

Our local free junk clean-up is a week from Saturday. That's my deadline to complete 

the garage purge. Highly motivated to finish and move on to other things.