Esteemed Contributor

Re: Declutter 2022: What have you purged today?

I had another donation pick up this week.  I got enough stuff together to fill a box and out it went.  Some books, clothing, etc.  Random items.

I can't find some of my grocery bags.  I've looked all over and seem to have misplaced them.  So aggravating.  What could I have done with them?

Honored Contributor

I just got home from taking 5 things to consignment.  3 new with tags tops and a new in box Pampered Chef stone thing and a small storage set thing from the Container Store, never opened, that I'm not going to need.

I made a really small dropoff at Goodwill yesterday. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

The 3rd and last ring I took to consignment last week sold a few minutes ago. Oh happy day. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

You ladies today are keeping on it!  Congrats on the sale of that ring @gidgetgh !

I need to go through my jewelry and sell some and scrap some of it....that will have to wait until next yr.

Today I started once again going through the closet upstairs....what a hot mess.  I ended up getting some odd ball items for the bathroom that were supposed to help me be organized on the counter top.  After I got them I used them for awhile but hated them LOL!  Both of them will be donated.  I also bought a ugly bird statue things long ago...he is already in the back of my truck for donation!  My summer clothes from yesterday are in there also ready to go.  I plan on filling up the back with anything else I can find from that closet.  Going through some boxes and bins right now.  At least the majority is in great shape and can be used by someone who needs it Woman Very Happy  

My "goal" or plan is to just get the STUFF OUT!  I think cleaning and functioning will be so much easier on me if I can keep doing this almost daily to be honest.  Once the truck is full drive it up to drop off and begin again.  

Respected Contributor

So I donated some books and I also had a painting that a student from my school painted. I bought it at auction at a prestigious NYC gallery/art club over 10 years ago. 

I grew tired of it. I took it down, but I was wavering. I think my husband threw it in the donation bag with the books. 
I don't really care and I'm not going to ask him about it yet. I'll wait until I get used to the idea of it being gone so that if I do come across it in the future; I'll have no problem getting rid of it, seeing I already believed it was gone. ? (makes sense to me) 

I discarded a fake Apple pencil. I gave my DIL the real Apple pencil. I don't use them. 

Went through and discarded some toiletries. I also went through my tea chest and ousted teas I know I'm never going to drink. I love tea, but not those fruity ones or mint teas.

I found a woman, Melissa Maker on You tube clean my space and she has a lot of decluttering tips and also cleaning tips.  It was fun to watch her one day while I was bored to tears at work.

Respected Contributor

My sister offered me first dibs on some clothing she was donating. I am really proud of myself because there were a lot of items and I only took 6 pieces I knew I would wear. When I got home and tried them on, 6 decreased to me keeping 3.

I then proceeded to go into my closet and remove 3 pieces that I really don't like, for fit reasons. I ended up tossing those plus a purse, a sweatshirt, and a pair of shoes. 

Trusted Contributor

Opened up a shopping bag that I'm keeping in the corner of my bedroom.  Whenever, there is something I think I should get rid of and donate, I drop it in the bag, so far in the bag is.....

1)  a top that is new, still with tags, that I just don't like.

2)  a necklace from Kohl's that I received for a gift that is a little to "loud" for my liking.

3) 2 books - one I finished, the other I only read 1/2 of and I was not enjoying.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hey everyone!  I just returned from dropping off at SA.  The dreaded bird statue is gone LOL....also found some JOY hangers...still in the plastic wrap coat style....then some other bathroom counter top stands I needed to get rid of.  PITA to clean and use waste of money.  Some more summer clothes too...every time I try on something and it's to tight in the bag it goes! LOL

I am already working on a nic nac box of things for next week's drop off and a Valerie garland that is just so dated....my grandma would have liked it LOL!

I have brought down several more bins from that upstairs closet of all kinds of stuff...I did weed through all but 2 bins so far.  Found a box of socks I just won't use...to slippery or too tight around the ankle (and I have normal size ankles) but they are all going to donation as they are which is brand new.  

At least that closet is getting cleared out...can walk in side now and stand there Woman LOL couldn't do that before...had to step over all these bins!

Respected Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

Hello ladies....OMgoodness I FINALLY forced myself to try on some of those summer/spring pants.  I am NOT in a great mood right now LOL!  I bagged up alot to donate also that are winter and will wait until later in Aug to donate them.  

I remember cleaning out all the clothing my Mom had for hours and then finding she had stored more pants downstairs in dresser draws LOL!  In different sizes depending on her weight situation.  

I am NOT doing that BUT I did keep 2 pair that I just love and couldn't part with....heck I wore one just last week!  Now my belly isn't allowing that Woman Surprised

I feel over whelmed and mad at myself for having so many repeat type of pants.  Some I found I was so over joyed as I had been looking for them all last yr!  2 pairs of Skecher's pants from Costco that I love....they fit too! Yippee!!

I have so much more to go through.....I am telling myself to just try and NOT bringing in more or NEW....and if I do then I must toss the same OUT!

I don't even wear all these things...I must be insane as I still want to shop! Woman LOL

@tsavorite - I can certainly understand feeling overwhelmed and mad at yourself for having so many extras, I think we've all been there, but I wouldn't dwell on those feelings for too long. What's done is done and you can't un-do it now. As long as you learn from your past going forward, then it will be a worthwhile lesson. 

It can seem overwhelming, but if you can just keep plugging along, a little bit here and there, you will definitely make progress and maybe find some more treasures while you're at it! 

It sounds to me like you are doing a great job and you will feel SO good when you are done! 

Respected Contributor

@Snicks1 - It's been really hot here too, so I haven't been doing hardly a thing outside either. Other than watering the plants that need it, that's about it. 

I'm trying not to complain, because I detest winter and was really looking forward to summer, but it's been a little hotter than usual for us too. Spending a lot of time in our basement. If I'm looking to do any organizing or cleaning, it will probably be down there for a while.