Esteemed Contributor

Re: Declutter 2022: What have you purged today?

2 small bags of tees and tanks bagged and ready to donate.

Honored Contributor

Digging around in my closet, I found a well-preserved black wool knit dress.   When I lived in New Orleans, my boyfriend at the time was an opera fiend.   I could never figure out what to wear to the opera in New Oleans--  wanted something comfy, but slightly dressy.  I used to pull that cowl-necked dress on, and as a light over-jacket, wear a bright silk blouse over it, teal or flame colored.  The dress had a wide self sash that I could double and tie over the silk blouse... or not.

Memories!   I'll never wear it again--  all black now makes me look hideously pallid and brings out shadows in my complexion, gack.  Plus, a clingy knit dress on me now--  no and no and NO!  Hoping someone will find it useful.

Donating that, and a white, elephant teapot that has turned out to be impractical.  I have found that it is hard to get rid of things with cute little faces, especially animal figurals!

Esteemed Contributor

Small purge of nail polishes today.

My collection is limited, but I did toss at least 5 or 6 old polishes. Will return 2 new purchases to stores with receipts this week as they were duplicates.

Honored Contributor

My husband threw away 6 old ratty tees, and is going to donate 4 other short sleeve shirts he doesn't wear. Good for him! I'm still going through my clothes & trying to make some decisions. 🥴 

Honored Contributor

Finally made decisions on some clothing. Getting rid of 10 tops that I rarely wear or don't like anymore. Most are nice enough to be donated. Cleaned out my sock drawer and threw away several old pairs. 

Honored Contributor

I finally tackled organizing my husbands meds and supplies from the VA.  

Boxes get delivered here with c-pap, diabetic, and nebulizer supplies, as well as meds.   My husband empties the boxes and shoves everything inside the drawer or base cabinet that is his designated space.  He stacks and shoves until space runs out, and then he stacks cardboard boxes in a corner of the kitchen or living room.   I was tired of looking at stacked cardboard boxes.  

Everything is organized in the space where it belongs, and a call to the VA put a temporary halt on shipments of some items.   

Respected Contributor

Hello everyone! Just checking in to say Hi!

I wish that I had something to report, but I don't. I think I've tossed one sock in a week. My decluttering has again come to a screeching halt. I've been very busy around here with work, kids end of year school activities, outdoor work now that the weather is starting to finnally warm up, etc, etc. Plus I have all sorts of appointments to make for the coming months.

I'm still keeping up on routine activities, going thru the mail, laundry, etc. and I am trying to work on using up some older items in the pantry, either by making them or giving to the dogs and/or chickens. I don't like to waste food and with the animals here I rarely ever have to. 

I know it's a busy time of year and people like to be outside, myself included, but don't forget to pop in and keep us updated as to how you're doing, even if it's not really anything! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi all~had a nice little break from "home stuff", "to-do lists", appointments, etc.  Bf had a quick 2 day business thing in Fla., that we turned into a little extended 5 day trip.

I hadn't flown anywhere since Dec. 2019, or gone anywhere tropical in a while....boy, was it so nice to see palm trees & feel the warmth!!😎🏝☀️⛱🌊 Was in the Stuart area at a nice Marriott resort on the beach...so nice to wake up to sun, beautiful ocean, and swim in the pool each day. Needed a break & get-away from these last two years.

Got plenty of reading in and thought of this group with this one..

Years ago I owned Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance"...does anyone remember that book from the 90's, touted by Oprah back then?

I loved that book...a few years ago I finally purged it because it was BIG, thick, bulky ...but I downloaded it onto my Kindle for when, as I like to do, every now and then I'd read some passages. It's dated, occasionally, when she refers to some technology or ways of doing some things differently from now, but not so much that it's not still useful and inspiring.

It is a "daily rounds" type book that went from Jan-Dec, daily, with short passages and chapter themes as how to live a "Simply Abundant" life...simplifying, organizing, being grateful etc. So, one of the days I read a little from the May chapter, which wound up being about, I think the term she uses is "soul craft" and home care. Kind of the art of simplifying & attending to the home in ways that feeds the soul, gives your home it's charm, nurtures you & your family.

I thought of this group and all our decluttering journeys as I read it, and thought I'd recommend it, or remind others who might also be curious to revisit it. It's so easy to read for a while, put down again. I know it, originally, was meant to be read all year, day by day chronologically...too much pressure for me! I almost always started that way, but then just read it when I felt like it...sometimes only a short passage or a few every now & then. This particular chapter I thought was great for where we've all been at here, getting our lives/homes in order, clearing out the useless clutter.

I was supposedly coming back to "summer-like" weather in Ct, which I thought, great, won't be so bad leaving the tropics behind! Right, CT fools us again!...been cloudy, rainy since we got back. Supposedly will clear up later...ugh. My house is in dissarray right now...laundry to do from the trip, unpacking, grocery shopping...even from that short time, but it was worth it!

Have a nice weekend, all~☀️

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Flatbush Your post made me smile. I could relate. I love words, reading, writing and always used to refer to my paper dictionaries too...still have 3...probably don't need one! But I was always most enamoured with my thesauruses...while writing, finding new and various ways to say something that meant the same thing. Broadening the vocabulary! Anyway...I usually use Google now. I have a small paperback dictionary that has print so small it was hard for me to see when I got it, about 20 years ago! Lol...probably I should pass that one on. I still also own my "Webster's Collegiate" hard cover dictionary & thesaurus from my college days....I graduated in '79! I can't part with those. But probably don't need all the little paperbacks around.

@RedTop Good you went through all your hubby's VA meds etc, and got them more organized. Was thinking, with what's left, since you are "tired of seeing stacked cardboard boxes"...maybe you can buy some of the many decorative storage boxes around HomeGoods, Walmart etc...might not be an eyesore as much to you. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]