Esteemed Contributor

Re: Declutter 2022: What have you purged today?

[ Edited ]

I think I have completed my seasonal wardrobe change and purge.

Today: 2 large trash bags full of spring/summer clothes went to one charity thrift and another full trash bag of clothes to another charity thrift shop. A full plastic bin, mostly pants, went to the basement for donation in the fall. A large shopping bag is ready to go to consignment on Thursday. I forgot to look through two drawers,so I filled a small bag with 2 tops, a cardigan and 6 tank tops to go to yet another favorite charity thrift store when I am in the area later this month.

Yesterday I returned 3 tees and two pairs of denim shorts to Macy's. Reordered the $10.00 cotton tees in a smaller size and found that I have plenty of Bermuda shorts for the season. I have brought in a lot of clothes, but I have a lot more hangers, drawer and closet space than I had before. I think I am set for the season and beyond. The only thing that did not shrink was my shoe size.

I have donated so many clothes because they represent an accumulation over many years and because I have lost enough weight to have to replace just about my entire wardrobe. The only clothes to go in the toss bag are those that were stained, well worn, undies and things that have been laundered to death.

I continue to gather HH items for a yard sale I plan to have in early June. Got to purge that garage!

Esteemed Contributor

Consigned a few pieces of clothing today, but had to pick up items that did not sell. Some will be donated, others will live back in the basement awaiting fall consignment in August.

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

Consigned a few pieces of clothing today, but had to pick up items that did not sell. Some will be donated, others will live back in the basement awaiting fall consignment in August.

@queendiva - fortunately, the items at the consignment store I use are donated to charity if they don't sell.  We're allowed to pick up anything with a price $50 or more, but under that, if it doesn't sell in 90 days, it's theirs. though sometimes I'll notice I get paid for smaller items that go a little over 90 days. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

I haven't been decluttering much lately, but I read these threads avidly.  Today I dropped off a kitchen bag of excess clothes and a laundry basket consisting of Christmas items (our Goodwll will take them) and some tablecloths.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I took a small bag of things to Goodwill. Very small. 2 dishtowels, a small tote bag (not a luggage kind of tote bag), the external cd/dvd drive from my Mac, which I haven't used in years and I think maybe that was it.

And I also took the final framed art print that I hadn't hung.  It was a print called Fireman's Picnic. I bought it years ago and had it framed for my husband, a retired firefighter.  To be honest, I really don't think he could have cared less about it, LOL. We had it hanging in our old house and I had no interest in hanging it here.

I toyed with the idea of contacting his fire department (huge county dept) to see if there would be an interest in hanging it in his old station.  But the more I thought about that, I thought that would create coordination, hoopla and some emotion for me.  Take it to the station and they might acknowledge it somehow.  I have been working really hard lately trying to restart my life and not cry so much and, in the end, decided on the path of least resistance or possible emotion and off to Goodwill it went.  I just didn't want angst.

And that takes care of all of my unhung artwork.  I bought a few prints last weekend at a nearby arts and craft show and they are being framed.  They should be ready in about a week.  I'll hang them immediately. 

Several of my items at consignment have sold in the last week and I'll pick up a check as soon as they push the commissions in to my account. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello all~TGIF~

This week was productive..

Had contractors here in advance of our painters coming for the outside of condos soon~took out my box a/c from upstairs, re-drywalled the hole. (Not needed since new split system was recently installed. Put the unit down in bedroom, replacing a much older one, and where split system may not reach, so keeping that box unit in there.)

Now it needs painting & molding replacement on that wall. May get someone else...his quote to do this small job seemed high, I actually thought it would be included in this job, but it wasn't. Anyway, I was overall happy with them, used for first time, got off the interenet, straight 5 star reviews with great comments from everyone. He was quick to respond and quote and said he could come the next day! Wasn't skeptical he was available so quick in these busy times, because the reviews were so good. I just think, he's "hungry" and ambitious...and as reviews said, was communicative and possibly just has enough manpower. He sent the nicest guy. Couldn't speak a lick of English...we communicated, entirely through the translater app on his phone...ah...no "intricate detailed questions or requests!", but ya gotta love technology! He was very sweet, communicative as to what he was doing at every point, (through his phone) "I will be making a little noise right now" "I'm going to have lunch while the wall is setting" etc. Very neat and clean, as opposed to others I've had who were not any of these things. I will use this contractor again. Next time I'll have time to compare pricing with at least one other, but this time I was under a time issue as it had to be done before painters come, and I was just happy I got someone to come right away that had good reviews.

During the time he was here I brought all my filing downstairs (he was upstairs in my office/workout room/loft...

I went through so much piled up financial statements, bill statements, marketing stuff, medical records. Got up to speed on 85%, got one small pile left upstairs to "act" on. This was just go through papers day, not act on much. Shredded what needed shredding, filed the rest. Good and bad...found a 1099 I had missed at tax time! Accountant will have to file an amendment. Probably will owe more $ ugh...but...at least it got caught! It was something that got sold from after my mom's estate was settled last year, and I missed it as it came in with a normal statement/check, so I didn't see it was actually tax info. I hate when companies combine those things, as for me, I sometimes miss those statements, thinking they are just the normal statement.

Taking a last minute little mini vakay to Fla for 5 days, leaving Sunday. BF has a little quick biz thing that came up and I'm able to go. First time flying since b4 pandemeic...hoping all goes well 🙏😷, and so looking forward to a little getaway to somewhere tropical...feels like forever ago to do this, and take a needed break from home stuff!

That's it for now. Happy weekend everyone! 😎☀️ 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

oops PS! Got so wrapped up in contractor stuff in the last post (and it got so long!), I forgot one other thing got done this week..

Went to that new consignment shop. Cute shop, nice women who run it. She took only 3 of my 6 pcs left, but said my stuff was "lovely" and to bring more in the future.

We just realized one top had a spot (I had washed it, but missed this and I guess it was just "in there" for good...Isaac top I hardly ever wore.) And open toe pumps she just said they weren't taking too many really high heels as they're not selling much as everyone's been more casual lately.

So anyway, stopped at Goodwill on the way home and donated last 3 items of the 10 I had to consign.  

I'm just happy to have found these two places to use going forward, and wish I had done this years ago! So much nicer than the place I've used forever, just thinking it was conveniently 5 min. from me, but so is one of the other places! I took SO many very nice things to that other place that I think would have done much better at these other, more "boutique" places that also do better marketing of their items, like on social media. Anyway...onward & upward!

Caught up, for now, on clothing/accessories purge.

Still decluttering "things" all throughout the home as I continue to update and reorganize but things are really shaped up...still deep inside closets and categories of "things" there's always more that can be streamlined. I do have categories to go through...gift wrapping/bows/bags, crafts, some seasonal decor. So stay tuned. Smiley Happy 

Phew...OK! I think that's it for me for this week!

Respected Contributor

I haven't been decluttering much lately, been busy again, but I did make a quick pass thru the kitchen and got a few things set aside to donate: 6 coffee cups, a lunch bag and a cookbook. Started a new box in my bedroom. I'm hoping it doesn't sit as long as the last donations did.

Tossed a scrubber, 2 pairs sunglasses that broke, a knife, 4 small bottles, rusty pliers, small funnel, papers, coupons, glass that broke and a bath towel that wasn't even worth keeping for the dogs.

Went garage saling with my sister and brother in law and brought more stuff in. It's the season around here. At least a few small things are moving out. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thought I would give FlyLady a try.  BIG MISTAKE.  Subscribed, SEVEN emails arrived within a few hours, UNsubscribed.

Somehow I had the idea it would be one email per day.  With the seventh one, I said first thing I would declutter/purge would be those emails and that subscription. 

LOL!

In the past week, I've taken two large boxes of items to Goodwill.  Obviously, I can do better on my own than endless emails wasting my time!

Respected Contributor

I loved to read and use dictionaries for as long as I can remember. But now, I rarely ever use one. So I cannot believe I am actually giving a soft covered dictionary to Savers.

If I need to see the spelling of a word, I just ask Siri and there it is.

But, I still have a few other dictionaries that I am keeping, so I don't feel so bereft.

P.S. I just double checked the spelling of bereft with Siiri lol