Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2022: What have you purged today?

My really large, framed, very heavy Andrew Wyeth print made its way to Goodwill yesterday, along with a small shopping bag of really small items.  Nothing exciting.

Then I took some things to consignment- my last Citizen watch, one purse, some unopened foaming soaps (got tired of the scents) and a few other small things. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello all~Happy Saturday. Rainnnny here in Ct. after a beautiful sunny Thursday, cloudy Friday...but tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and nice. Will either be lazy or productive inside today, lol...maybe a tad of both...I do have some projects I wouldn't mind chipping away at. Already did some early morning Yoga. 

Anyway...I found a new place to consign! Called a place in the next town yesterday to make an appointment; they were nice, easy to make a quick appointment with, and not all questioning as to what I had and super picky about what they'll accept...all the opposite from my original place. Of course, as with everywhere, just asked that things be clean, unwrinkled & on hangers. Once I realized where they were I remembered seeing them once (across from a garden store I've gone to a lot) and was curious about...glad to see these new places. Don't know why I never branched out before...been going to my usual place for over a decade! They've been ok, but as I branch out I see others handle the business end and customer svc. much better. And also may have more shopping clientele. All that said, I have an appt. for this coming Wed., we'll see if they take all of my things...hope so. Otherwise I may just donate whatever is left.

I'm also going to do another pass through things to see if there's anything else to bring.

That's it for now~good reading everyone's progress or wherever you are at with it all. Keep going. Or...taking a break too if that's what's needed right now.

~Happy weekend y'all. ☔️🌥🌤🌞

Respected Contributor

I've been feeling like my spaces are a little congested lately, so I've been going thru some areas and trying to purge some small things, relocate some things, organize. I've skimmed thru the bathrooms, our bedroom, the mudroom. 

I've added to donate: a quilted vest, a winter face mask and 2 pair of gloves, a book, 3 shirts, 2 bathing suits and 2 bathing suit tops, a pair of pants, pair of socks, and a pair of earrings. 

I've tossed: 5 magazines, a pair of slippers, a toothbrush and razor, pair of gloves, a hat, belt, dog toy, 3 socks, used canning lids and some other small odds and ends. 

It's not a lot but I feel like it gives me just a little more space. I feel more organized and less "stuffed", so I'm happy. I still want to make a pass thru the kitchen, kids rooms, loft, before it gets too nice out and I don't want to be stuck inside. 

Also finaly got the donations dropped off out of my bedroom, I was glad to see them finally go, they're been in there forever. I tried dropping them off last weekend but the places didn't open til 10 and I wasn't waiting around, so hubby dropped them off on his way home from work. 

Honored Contributor

Good for you, @gidgetgh ,  sending that quality Andrew Wyeth print out for someone else to enjoy! 

Today, we're heading out with donations to St. Vincent de Paul's,  and the library, in our neighboring town again.  I'm so relieved to find a place, once more, that is readily accepting books. 

Speaking of prints, we'll be lugging a large one that someone gave my son at his workplace.  Customers love to bring items and give to the staff.   Which is sweet but can pose problems.   But in that same unloading, he brought in that lovely little original oil landscape I mentioned before.  That one, stays with me, forever I hope!

There's too much art out there I'd love to have on my walls.  Hard to resist.  But I will continue to try to just conserve and "curate" the long-time favorites I already have, and dispense with the ones that don't delight...  

Honored Contributor

I went through my house early this morning and took several things to consignment, including 2 pairs of shoes and 2 NWT nightshirts my sister gave me that don't fit.  I was thrilled because the owner was there and she immediately tagged my items and they're showing on my account. Hopefully,she'll show some of them on her next Facebook Live and they'll sell.  The shoes should sell quickly. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Realized something after hitting St. Vincent de Paul's this a.m.    I finally have my "decor inventory" down to a level I'm comfortable with, yet still have enough to switch things up when I inevitably get bored or the seasons change.

You see, that's always been my biggest hurdle-- it's home decor and art, rather than clothes, or kitchen items.  I just love to decorate, and re-decorate, according to whim.  The problem is, I love a number of periods and styles, and it's always hard to pare down.

It's been good over the last 10 years, to cut down my collections of glass, wood, pottery, metal.  I keep removing stuff I don't love or that has no sentimental meaning.  And, I no longer start new "collections".

I can't store everything that's not in use in one spot--  but crucially, each thing pretty much has a designated place when not in use, and, is EASILY accessible.   No more digging through remote boxes or bins in search of an elusive something.

I'm going to slowly keep purging "around the edges" but glad to have done the 'major' decor declutter.

Esteemed Contributor

Happy Mother's Day fellow purgers!

It's been a minute since I checked in here. I need to catch up with your posts. 

The forecast finally looks like spring weather will be arriving this week. I took advantage of the cold and wet days this weekend to change over my closets. So far 2 large trash bags of clothes to donate to 2 different charity thrift stores that I frequent. That will happen later this week.

Today: one more closet and one bin of T-shirts to go through. I think there will be at least one more bag to donate as I expect most of the tees from last year are too large, as was the case with all my old dresses and shirts.

Respected Contributor

Getting rid of:

A book of essays about the virus.It was given to me, and no, thankfully, I never had the virus.

A blk long sleeve t-shirt with arm cut outs. I like the arm cut outs,  but  the t-shirt is too big and the material is very thin.

Every little bit helps.

Super Contributor

@amyb wrote:

@FatCatinCT wrote:

Still not feeling all that yippy, but I have been thinking on items that I have that I don't use.  During dinner the other night I said to DH, since the kids don't want my china (which mind you i've used maybe three times in 43 years of marriage),  I am going to start using it for every day dining.  Why not, right?  Better to use and have breakage than being thrown away not being wanted.

That's as far as my brain got, lol.  

Be well everyone!

That might be "as far as your brain got" but that china thing, to me, is a BIG one! Good for you! Use it!! Enjoy it! Feel elegant at dinner with it! It was meant to be enjoyed! Glad you decided that one. "Whyyy not!" is right. @FatCatinCT ...sometimes the "little things" we do "are the big things." Smiley Happy

ps. I bet it's pretty...what is the pattern, btw?

The china is made by "Heirloom", not sure of the pattern as it was not purchased from a store.  When at UCONN a company came around to the dorms selling packages, everyday dishes, pots and pans and then china with stemware.  It's very pretty, an outer circle of silver on end, then a black swirly pattern about an inch or so wide, then another silver circle after that and the middle is just white.  Very thin, can see my hand through it so that's why I didn't use it.  Last time I used it Thanksgiving about 15 years ago, I put them in the dishwasher and some of the silver came off.  Who knew, lol???  Gonna be nice this week here in CT amyb, enjoy!!

Honored Contributor

@Flatbush wrote:

Getting rid of:

A book of essays about the virus.It was given to me, and no, thankfully, I never had the virus.

A blk long sleeve t-shirt with arm cut outs. I like the arm cut outs,  but  the t-shirt is too big and the material is very thin.

Every little bit helps.

That's what I've been doing too.  

As my clothes change for the season, I'm tossing out the t-shirts, socks, and misc. stuff that should have been tossed at the end of last summer.  It's always easier for me to get rid of things when I first pull them out. 

As you say, every little bit helps.  And it makes more room in my drawers--as long as I don't buy anything to replace it all!😉😆