Respected Contributor

Re: Declutter 2022: What have you purged today?

I put a jacket in my bag to donate. I have got to get these donations out soon, driving me nuts. 

I have 3 bags of plastic grocery bags I'm giving to a food bank to use for people that come into the store. 

That's all that I can think of for now.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Friends,

No decluttering so far this morning but I definitely will be doing some today.

In the past, I've shared here my anxiety with holding on to stuff that is not needed. Just like those that have anxiety getting rid of things, I have the opposite problem. When I don't get rid of nonsense I feel bad. I want a clutter free place! 

I have told family members that I no longer want to receive keepsake items and cute trinkets anymore. If they feel like they want to give me something; I'd prefer flowers or candy, food gifts and such. I know they will be used and appreciated and cut down on nonsense hanging around my place or storing it with other stuff that needs to go, that I haven't got to yet.

I have continued to receive these sort of gifts,  ( and not cheap things by any stretch of the imagination, truly expensive items!) even after I made that statement. I don't appreciate those gifts and it sounds horrible, but it's true. I hold on to them because it's someone I love that took the time and expense to give it to me and guilt then makes me keep them. Donating doesn't ease my guilt either. So that's out too.

Just needed to vent because I know Mother's Day is around the corner and I have to make this reminder clearer or I'll have another present that will have to make its home with the Valentine, Easter, and Birthday gifts that I recently received.

Respected Contributor

Well, I finally took some things to donation today. I had a game insert for my mini pool table which had ping pong on one side and hockey on the other,  and the pool sticks.  Gone.  The pool table broke so they had to go.  So good to get them out finally. 

I also doanted some tiops, one pair of ankle boots and some insulated heating cups.  

That felt good.  I need to continue the momentum. 

Trinkets, no way anymore.  If anyone gives me trinkets they will not stay in my home.  I am done with that guilt. I have made that clear to everyone.  I once and for all want to get rid of my own trinkets that are stored away and those are next on my list. 

I really would like to get to a clutter free space but it feels like moving mountains. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Well, I finally took some things to donation today. I had a game insert for my mini pool table which had ping pong on one side and hockey on the other,  and the pool sticks.  Gone.  The pool table broke so they had to go.  So good to get them out finally. 

I also doanted some tiops, one pair of ankle boots and some insulated heating cups.  

Trinkets, no way anymore.  If anyone gives me trinkets they will not stay in my home.  I am done with that guilt. I have made that clear to everyone.  I once and for all want to get rid of my own trinkets that are stored away and those are next on my list. 

I really would like to get to a clutter free space but it feels like moving mountains. 

@aprilskies - although it feels a little weird to do it, if I receive a gift from someone I know I won't use or it's not my taste, I appreciate that they thought of me and I donate the item or sell it at consignment. No more guilt for me on that.  I just don't want to hold on to things that I know I won't use or aren't my taste.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KBEANS wrote:

Hi Friends,

No decluttering so far this morning but I definitely will be doing some today.

I wanted to share that my husband and I were already having a serious discussion about decluttering and hoarding. There are several friends and family members that are having serious issues with it; to the point that they no longer have people visiting and not due to the pandemic. It's making me uncomfortable with my own issues.

In the past, I've shared here my anxiety with holding on to stuff that is not needed. Just like those that have anxiety getting rid of things, I have the opposite problem. When I don't get rid of nonsense I feel bad. I want a clutter free place! Yet there are things that I hold on to because of who they belonged to and I'm not ready to clear out yet. (my deceased close relative for those of you who remember my story)

For this reason, I do not need to add to the contents I am already holding.

This is the reason I continue purging and rethink my purchases, free giveaways, and presents.

I have told family members that I no longer want to receive keepsake items and cute trinkets anymore. If they feel like they want to give me something; I'd prefer flowers or candy, food gifts and such. I know they will be used and appreciated and cut down on nonsense hanging around my place or storing it with other stuff that needs to go, that I haven't got to yet.

I have continued to receive these sort of gifts,  ( and not cheap things by any stretch of the imagination, truly expensive items!) even after I made that statement. I don't appreciate those gifts and it sounds horrible, but it's true. I hold on to them because it's someone I love that took the time and expense to give it to me and guilt then makes me keep them. Donating doesn't ease my guilt either. So that's out too.

I will tell a certain friend that is having the clutter issue that I would appreciate if she repurposes gifts to me; things she already owns. Most things she has are brand new and still in the packaging. She acquires way to much and her spending is more than she should spend. I know this may put her out of her comfort zone but she continues to gift me  expensive unuseful things that I don't need. Maybe this way it will bring attention to her own habits. It's a long shot,  but I can't remain silent any longer.

Just needed to vent because I know Mother's Day is around the corner and I have to make this reminder  more clear or I'll have another present that will have to make its home with the Valentine, Easter, and Birthday gifts that I recently received.

@KBEANS  It sounds like your family members are giving you gifts more to satisfy themselves than to respect your wishes, especially if you have made it clear you no longer want to receive certain categories of gifts.  You should feel no guilt getting rid of items of no use to you.  Honor the fact that they were thinking of you and gave you a gift.  Once you acknowedge their love and thoughtfulness, let the physical item go.  Also, I read somewhere how it is nice to donate brand new items to a charity, as most of the donated items are used.  Don't try to change them, change your perspective.  

Honored Contributor

The 2 Clinique gift with purse sets I took to consignment sold.  I got $12 for both which doesn't seem like much, but considering I got them for free that's $12 "found" money.  I'll take it.

I also took them a watch last week and it sold yesterday.

And....I had taken them a pair of earrings almost 2 months ago.  Pink sapphire and diamond earrings. I used to wear them a lot but just hadn't been reaching for them so I decided to try to sell them.  On pieces like that (actually anything over $50) if they don't sell in 60 days, you can get them back.  I was getting really really close to 60 days.  Wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world if I brought them home but I really wanted to sell them.

I logged into my account just before they closed yesterday and saw my total and thought hmmm... what sold???  So, I looked the detailed list for my commission and the earrings sold. I was thrilled.  Now that they sold those, and others I'd taken them over the last 6 months, time to go through my nicer jewelry again and see if there is anything else I'd like to try to sell.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I did a very tiny purge yesterday. I bought a brand new sewing box from a garage sale for $5 so yesterday I transferred the items from my current sewing box to my new one. I had been storing my sewing supplies in a photo box. I consolidated and tossed a few small packages that held pins, glitter, etc. 

I'm keeping the photo box for now, I might actually use it for photos if they fit in there well. I have to see. 

Respected Contributor

@KBEANS - I agree with the others. If you have notified friends and family that you no longer want trinkets as gifts but they continue to give them to you, I wouldn't feel guilty about getting rid of them. 

If you want to keep the items, fine. But if you don't, it's not your responsibility to house items for the rest of your life just because someone gives something to you. No guilt. You need to do what's best for you.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@aprilskies - although it feels a little weird to do it, if I receive a gift from someone I know I won't use or it's not my taste, I appreciate that they thought of me and I donate the item or sell it at consignment. No more guilt for me on that.  I just don't want to hold on to things that I know I won't use or aren't my taste.  

Yep, that's where I'm at now too.  And it took a while to get here.

I've told people that I am getting rid of things and don't want more 'stuff' and most have honored that.  But I have one sweet friend that keeps giving me gifts.  And none of them are anything I would ever want.  So they slowly "disappear".  I used to feel guilty about it, but after telling her time and time again, I'm done with any guilt.

I appreciate the thought, but honestly, I have much more affection for the friend that buys me nothing but is around when I need help.

Respected Contributor

Hair clips that slip off my hair were the items that made it into the garbage yesterday. 

2 take out containers, because I only keep 2 or 3 and there's no room for more than that. 

An old small tea canister because I just bought tea that came in a beautiful canister and 1 is enough. I tire of things after awhile and something new to look at is nice.

I posted this in the wrong thread this morning. They must have thought I was nuts because it had nothing to do with the topic. 😝

@geezerette   @rnmom  I'm trying to get there too. That's why I look for ideas, suggestions and support here. I don't want to offend or seem unappreciative to those I love. 
Just don't want to have to play the pretend game anymore.