Respected Contributor

Re: Declutter 2022: What have you purged today?

We tossed 2 gallon jars of water glassed eggs and the jars. We wanted to see if we could preserve some eggs for winter use and one jar didn't have a tight seal so they went bad, the other jar somehow got a crack in it. We have one jar left here that we haven't tried yet.I'll check those soon and see if they are good or not. They look fine, but I haven't opened it. 

Turned out we had plenty of eggs to get us thru the winter without preserving any so I won't worry about waterglassing any in the future, unless we lose some chickens. 

Honored Contributor

@FatCatinCT wrote:

@amyb , thank you and everyone else who gave me good thoughts.  I ended up going to an urgent care on Saturday.  Negative for covid this time around but now positive for Influenza A.  I just can't catch a break here!  At least I got three meds, inhaler, cough suppressant and a steriod nose spray and I am finally feeling a bit more like myself.  Still only able to keep up with the little messes we make for a meal but it's getting a bit easier. 

Thanks again everyone! 

@FatCatinCT 

Oooh--I had that a couple of years ago and it knocked me for a loop.  I was given one of those flu pills, but I don't think it did anything to shorten or ease my symptoms.  I hadn't been that sick for a very long time and it took a really long time to get rid of the cough.  I remember rationing the cough medicine the doctor gave me.  It worked, but because it was potent they wouldn't give me more.  I saved it for night so I could sleep without coughing every other minute.

Take it easy, not that you have much energy to do anything else!

Honored Contributor

Stayed up late last night, finally decided to purge some of my winter gear-- scarves, mittens, gloves, hats.  It was absurdly hard to decide which mittens to donate!   Keep thinking, oh, I might need those.  Even though the season is over, and I ended up never using them this last winter.

Of course, I'm keeping forever some battered little leather gloves of my mother's, that have a tear in one seam.  I wll have them mended by our dry cleaner, who has mended leather for us before, with excellent results.  Those gloves are such a sweet, personal memento...

That hall closet also houses some of my "revolving" set of decor pieces, candle holders, etc. and I'm in the process of culling some of that and then re-organizing what's left.  I want everything to be easily accessible, or else it's not worth it to keep the 'inventory'.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Stayed up late last night, finally decided to purge some of my winter gear-- scarves, mittens, gloves, hats.  It was absurdly hard to decide which mittens to donate!   Keep thinking, oh, I might need those.  Even though the season is over, and I ended up never using them this last winter.

Of course, I'm keeping forever some battered little leather gloves of my mother's, that have a tear in one seam.  I wll have them mended by our dry cleaner, who has mended leather for us before, with excellent results.  Those gloves are such a sweet, personal memento...

That hall closet also houses some of my "revolving" set of decor pieces, candle holders, etc. and I'm in the process of culling some of that and then re-organizing what's left.  I want everything to be easily accessible, or else it's not worth it to keep the 'inventory'.

@Oznell - I don't even own a winter coat!

Making fun of myself a little. I live in Georgia.  We don't really have much need for heavy winter things.....most of the time....or a larger inventory.  If it gets really cold here, I have one pair of mittens and an old Susan Graver lined jacket thing. If you see me in that, it is REALLY cold. I haven't worn it in years. But I keep it. And while I don't wear scarves, I keep one in the car, along with a wide, fleece lined headband in case my car breaks down. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No big decluttering for me lately. I took a small shopping bag of things to Goodwill a few days ago.  Nothing exciting.  

And I have 3 Clinique gift with purchase packets of goodies to take to consignment.  I needed some Clinique, Macys was doing gift with purchase so I made 3 separate orders on Macys.  3 gift with purchase things. Zero cost to me and I'll make some $$ from consigning them.

I also have a watch of mine to take to consignment.  

I did purge one item.  A year after I met my husband, I cross stitched the Fireman's prayer and framed it for him for his birthday.  This was in 1986.

When I moved, I brought it with me and put it in a drawer.  I didn't want to hang it again.  I decided to throw it away.  Since it was personal, I didn't want to donate it and my stepsons wouldn't have wanted it.  So, I took a picture of it, put it in the trash and it left on Thursday. No regrets on that, a day later. 

I AM keeping his retirement plaque and firefighter of the year award plaque.  I didn't hang them up here, but one day they'll go to our grandson, but not now.  I'm not ready to part with those. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I envy you, @gidgetgh ,  not needing a lot of winter gear!  Actually, I don't have really heavy coats either--  I tend to layer.  But scarves and gloves just seem to proliferate, and extraneous ones were really clogging one of my closet shelves...

It sounds like you made very sensible decisions of how to deal with the fire fighter memorabilia from the past.  Good job!

Esteemed Contributor

I should really go through some winter clothing items before i put them away.  I started removing them from the closets.  I have such a hard time parting with things.  

Respected Contributor

@Oznell    @gidgetgh - Oh, how I envy those of you who don't need a lot of winter gear. I am in Michigan, the state of the endless winter. I swear it starts in October and goes until May. We just got snow last week and it's supposed to be back down into the 20's next week again. I still have my winter coat out, I don't usually put it away until May.

I get really sick of being cooped up inside, I detest the cold, and I'd love to pack up and move to somewhere where it's at least a little warmer. Getting hubby on board is a whole nother story. Maybe someday if I live long enough.

Respected Contributor

Not much decluttering here either, but I did add 4 masks to my donate bag. I really need to get my few donations out soon, they are driving me nutso sitting in my bedroom, but the place I take them to isn't open often and I don't ever seem to get down around that way when they are. I just need to put them in my car so that I have them ready to go. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Emptied large steel desk and combined lots of stationary boxes. Some to kerp, some to donate?  6 overhead projector pens tossed along with typewriter correcting materials.   Going through stack of baseball cards just to check out but doubt  if I can spy a valuable one from any other.  Top drawer with key chains, rulers, etc to be dealt with.  Give me strength to pitch!

Old lawn chairs were at curb for trash. No more obsessing over whether to paint or...