Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2022: What have you purged today?

@rnmom 

Plus the chickens eat bugs! 👍

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 

Your guilt over buying and then donating things you don't use will lessen once those things are gone out of the house.

The trick is that once they are gone, don't continue to buy things you won't use!😉

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh 

Now you're getting into the more relaxed and enjoyable phase of moving.  Arranging how you want the stuff you've chosen to live with.  You can take your time and continue to toss what doesn't suit you.

Good luck with selling your home.  I hope it goes quickly and without complications.  I admire you greatly for tackling all this.  I was always nervous about buying and selling the homes when we did it as a couple.  I can't imagine having to do it alone.

You've done a great job!

Honored Contributor

@lynnie61 

Thank you for your kind words.  My opinion is that I tend to run my mouth too much, but I'm glad you found some use out of my ramblings.😉

You have hit on something that I struggle with daily and a topic we've discussed often in other threads: saving for "good".  For me, it comes from how I was raised as a kid.  New clothes were to be saved either for church or school.  You took them off when you got home from either activity.  You didn't wear them around the house.  Old clothes were for that.  I still have that mentality 70 years later.  The only way I can temper it is to limit how many new clothes I have hanging in my closet.

But you are so right that no one is promised another minute of life.  You don't know when your time is up, or the time of a loved one, which also changes your life in a second.  Life looks totally different when that happens.

In the last few decades I have spent so much time on what is essentially useless stuff.  Acquiring "things", cleaning those things, guarding those things--that I look back now and I not only regret the money I spent on them, but the time I wasted on them.  I could have had as good or better a life without a majority of those items. 

My biggest problem was succumbing to all the hype over the years instead of standing firm with what I felt I wanted years ago.  Sure, my husband didn't always feel that same way, but I could have limited my own acquisitions and been happier.  I bought things thinking they would make me feel better about myself.  They never did.  I'm sorry I didn't realize that years ago.

Please continue to share your journey.  You provide motivation for us as well.  One day at a time.👍

Trusted Contributor

I made a huge pot of veg soup yesterday, using lots of veggies in my fridge and pantry that needed to be used up. We will eat a couple of meals of the soup and I will freeze the rest. We are hoping to have some painting and wall repairs done in the house so I am wanting to clear out as much as possible soon. At least that gives me motivation.  I did put together a big box of Christmas gift bags, gift wrap, and tags, etc. that don't need to sit around until next year, so out they go to the donate box. Also several stretched out sweaters and two old handbags I didn't even remember I had. I went through the towels and found four with holes in them caused by our fancy new cabinet hinges.....will send those to the animal no-kill shelter. 

Respected Contributor

@Imadickens 

As I moved three or four memory boxes full of t-shirts today, I renewed my desire to make memory quilts for my kids.  I need to do this, but as people give their abbreviated directions, I am scared to delve.  It would be a wonderful gift and would solve one keepsake issue.

Respected Contributor

Years ago I purchased drapery making rods from QVC - had good intentions but never used.  Off to the car for donation along with one suitcase, a dog Halloween costume, pill organizers, etc.  No Christmas decorations made their way to donation, 😔

Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom 

I did this for my boys and my niece from pieces of their fav clothing.  Took awhile, boys didn't really enjoy until now they are glad they have a keepsake.

I taught my niece to quilt/sew with this project we still laugh about the days we spent and sewed pieces together on the wrong side but it turned out nicely anyway🙂🙂

It's time consuming but worth it!  This year I put photo albums together for everyone - oh boy, remember those days you got double free prints this is one time I was glad I had duplicates!

Honored Contributor

After one week my holiday decor and house are finally back in order.

I had a lot of christmas including linens, dish ware, etc. -- no donation place accepted them.  So, looking for plan B cuz not coming in the house😉

All things I wanted to sell are listed on various sites, hopefully, someone wants it🤞🏻🤞🏻my cabinets are overflowing with unused kitchen, dishes, temptations & more!  I priced them super low now for the next step...I've gotten "fake" scam buyers thru FB lately...🤬🤬🤬

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Purges for a Monday: went through the bill basket and tossed many old, unneeded papers from 2021 in the recycling bin.

Organized/ inventoried 4 of the 6 pantry shelves. Will do the remaining upper and lower shelves this week. I need to know what I have so as to not buy re-buy items. Trying hard to keep the grocery bill in check.

ETA: quick purge of an upper kitchen cabinet and drawer.