Respected Contributor

Re: Declutter 2022: What have you purged today?

@Mominohio wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@HonestLife wrote:

Nobody can read 50+ pages of this ongoing thread. Need a new one weekly. 

@HonestLife - I could maybe start a new one monthly, I don't know if we need one weekly. 

Can anyone else chime in and let me know if they would prefer a monthly thread? 

I'm prefering yearly. There is a continuity to it that I feel might get lost if we break it up into smaller amounts of time. 

@Mominohio - Several others prefer yearly too, so I am going to stick with that for now, thanks. 

Respected Contributor

@threecees wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

Doing my room a day cleaning. Got rid of pair of earrings which were missing the backs, a padded hanger that lost its stuffing and the manual for my old microwave. Those items came from our guest room where I have a writing desk that holds my jewelry and a file with all our instruction manuals.

@AuntG  You can always get replaceable backs for earrings if you have any

more that need them. Just a little tip.

@threecees - I was thinking that exact same thing. Actually I need to order some because I've lost so many over the years, I need some replacements too. It looks like they have some pretty inexpensive on Amazon. 

Honored Contributor

@lynnie61 wrote:

@geezerette   Thanks for your recap and defining the “stuff”.  My Guy, he has piles around, not totally crazy, but it makes me a bit anxious at times.  I have lots of stuff to go through myself, but it’s in bins and behind closed doors, closets, etc.  

I'm trying to reason through, if it’s been in a bin for 5 years, most of this stuff I would not miss.  Way too many bakeware pieces, serving pieces.  How much can two people use, and we havent entertained since Covid. I think I had 6 -  9x13 pans.  Really?  I now have two.  Would never need more than that.  

Two large bedroom closets totally filled.  I still work, but honestly, I wear the same 10 or 20 things.  So why am I hanging on to it?   Just in case.  In case of what?  It’s hard some days, I work six days a week, and on day 7, I say it’s me/our time.  And I no longer save anything for later.  Every day is special.  Not saving pretty lingerie or special jewelry, or a hand bag, for later.  TODAY is special.  When a very close friend passed a few years ago, her husband cried at the stuff she saved “for special occasions”  and never wore it, or got to enjoy her prettiest things, jewelry.  

Trying to do one bin, one drawer, and trying to bring less in also.  Trying not to put a time limit on anything, because that makes me even more anxious.  

I love getting motivation here.  One day at a time.

@lynnie61 - great post.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@rms1954 - go easy and be kind to yourself. You are doing a great job.

Honored Contributor

One thing about decluttering is that you're never done.

While my best friend was here for 3 days, we made multiple trips to Goodwill, literally in the middle of my move.  She left Wednesday morning.  I have been 3 times since then.

And I thought I was in fabulous shape clutter wise.  And I was. And then I moved and started placing things and the process started again.

All of our wall art was still over at the old house.  Friday I took it all down and it's all on the living room floor in the house. During that process I came to the conclusion that no way I am hanging ALL of these up again.  New house is smaller.  Kitchen/dining/living room is one wide open area.  Less walls to hang things on.  I put 2 of the largest/heaviest framed pictures in the trunk and took them to Goodwill late yesterday.  I think the guy is sick of seeing me.  I also took a large, heavy pendulum wall clock that had been a service award at work years ago.  That one stung a little but I'll get over it.  

I brought 4 small to medium framed pieces to the new house (notice that I don't call it home yet). I'm going to hang those today.  Tomorrow I'm going back to our old house and looking through what pictures remain, which is a lot.  Realtor is taking pictures of our house tomorrow afternoon, so they all have to be out of there tomorrow.  I am taking today off from all that. I'm too tired.

I had 800 got junk come to the old house yesterday and they took 1 medium and 1 extra large area rug and 2 acrylic desk floor mat things and an old broom.  That is my final pickup from them.

Honored Contributor

Everyone is doing so great with their decluttering, organizing efforts here!
I am still plugging away at it, but somewhat slowly. I had good intentions for yesterday but didn't feel very well so only got about halfway through what I had planned to do. I did find a few small items that I no longer need/want, so those have been added to the donate box, and a couple things that I trashed. I have 4 drawers in tables in the living room that are going to be my focus for today. One of those I don't expect to find anything that can go, but the other 3 are full of stuff, so who knows, could be I just need to tidy them up, maybe move some things to a better place, but they sure do need some work, lol.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@rnmom 

@rnmom wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

This is my second post here and I am so happy I found a group of understanding people to chat with.  Two more full loads of clothing went to the dumpster today.   The feeling just gets better, although it comes along with remorse and I feel wasteful and ashamed.  How do I get rid of that feeling now????  Did any of you experience these feelings?

@rms1954 - We are so glad that you are here! I think it's pretty common to feel wasteful and remorse when we are getting rid of things that we spent good money on, especially if it's something that we intended to use and never did, for whatever reason. 

Clothes, household items, skincare, etc. Many times we purchase things with the best of intentions and it just doesn't work out. You can't undo past purchases, so there's no point in feeling ashamed because something didn't work out the way you had planned. Just try to tell yourself that you will be more mindful going forward so that it doesn't happen in the future.

You said the clothes are going to a dumpster. Are they being donated or trashed? It might alleviate some of the guilt if you are able to take them to any type of a thrift store, homeless shelter, any place where they can be used by someone else who could use them.

I think you mentioned a recycle center? If they are being recycled that is at least giving them a new life, rather than just ending up in a landfill. 

Thank you for the welcome @rnmom and when I said dumpster it is actually for donated items, so they will be going to a good home to be put to use.  So I keep telling myself that.  Many, many of the clothes still had tags on them.  Not a good reminder when I see all those numbers, but just sitting there rehashing that is not helping.  I just think to myself what's done is done, time to move on.  

One time I made several trips and was so tired I left the last two enclosed tubs on the ground in front of the big container.  When I returned, the tubs were gone.  I wonder "do people come and take things like that ... I thought it was stealing."  But if someone needs it that bad, well whatever.  It's really hard for me to reach and fill those big trays and push them in the container, but it has to get to wherever it goes to help people.  

I don't know I'll get to more today cuz we have freezing rain so driving is not good.  I think I'll stay put until the weather clears.  Have a good day!

Respected Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@rnmom 

@rnmom wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

This is my second post here and I am so happy I found a group of understanding people to chat with.  Two more full loads of clothing went to the dumpster today.   The feeling just gets better, although it comes along with remorse and I feel wasteful and ashamed.  How do I get rid of that feeling now????  Did any of you experience these feelings?

@rms1954 - We are so glad that you are here! I think it's pretty common to feel wasteful and remorse when we are getting rid of things that we spent good money on, especially if it's something that we intended to use and never did, for whatever reason. 

Clothes, household items, skincare, etc. Many times we purchase things with the best of intentions and it just doesn't work out. You can't undo past purchases, so there's no point in feeling ashamed because something didn't work out the way you had planned. Just try to tell yourself that you will be more mindful going forward so that it doesn't happen in the future.

You said the clothes are going to a dumpster. Are they being donated or trashed? It might alleviate some of the guilt if you are able to take them to any type of a thrift store, homeless shelter, any place where they can be used by someone else who could use them.

I think you mentioned a recycle center? If they are being recycled that is at least giving them a new life, rather than just ending up in a landfill. 

Thank you for the welcome @rnmom and when I said dumpster it is actually for donated items, so they will be going to a good home to be put to use.  So I keep telling myself that.  Many, many of the clothes still had tags on them.  Not a good reminder when I see all those numbers, but just sitting there rehashing that is not helping.  I just think to myself what's done is done, time to move on.  

One time I made several trips and was so tired I left the last two enclosed tubs on the ground in front of the big container.  When I returned, the tubs were gone.  I wonder "do people come and take things like that ... I thought it was stealing."  But if someone needs it that bad, well whatever.  It's really hard for me to reach and fill those big trays and push them in the container, but it has to get to wherever it goes to help people.  

I don't know I'll get to more today cuz we have freezing rain so driving is not good.  I think I'll stay put until the weather clears.  Have a good day!

@rms1954 @rnmom 

I got over the guilties of clothing with the tags still on them. They were bought with good intention to wear them. The money is already spent and there's nothing that can be done except to learn and not repeat the mistake. Now I usually don't. If I do, I wear the clothes as house clothing. It takes the strain off my regular clothing and keeps those looking newer and better, longer. 
As for trashing things; I feel no guilt now either. Once the decision is made, it's made. I won't procrastinate. I can't! Most of the time, I have to do this.
I live in NYC. No one or no organization, will come to pick up donations here. You must bring them directly to them and it's not possible for me to do this. Churches around here refuse donations. I left them outside the church once when they refused me and I later saw the custodian trash them anyway.
 If I hold on to them until I take a ride out of the city; I'll end up holding bags and bags in the apartment and it hinders and defeats my purpose.

There are times my bags do make it  to a clothes dumpster,  just not as frequently as I'd like. I refuse to hold on too long. I become agitated when I keep seeing these large bags hidden here and there in the apartment waiting, and waiting. I feel nothing has been accomplished and I end up going through the bags, rethinking and keeping stuff that I shouldn't. these things would have been long gone if I hadn't waited. This thinking that "Someone else can use it or wants it"  is stinking thinking for me. It's another way for me to hold on to things that should leave the house ; and so I try not to do this. 

Esteemed Contributor

Quick pass through the black pants section of my closet- already much smaller than it was at this time last year. Replaced one favorite pair with the same in a smaller size from a favorite eBay seller.

Pulled out about 5 pairs of black pants. Three will go to consignment this week.

Contributor

I am normally pretty organized and decluttered, but since my kids left home I have started acquiring more stuff, mainly dishes and Christmas decor.  Sooo I've been working on going through all my Christmas decorations, and thinning it way out.  As I have thinned through it, I have put everything Christmas in black bins with red lids and labeled what is in what bin.  I have gone through my kitchen and gotten rid of things I don't love and/or don't use.  So I feel 100s of lbs. lighter.