Esteemed Contributor

Re: Declutter 2022: What have you purged today?

[ Edited ]

@rnmom 

Listening to your life reminded me of the song by Trace Adkins, "You're Gonna Miss This."

I just did and crying now.

As crazy as it is, savor it all now Cat LOL

There will always be time to simplify.

Respected Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@dsw503 - Welcome! I am so glad you joined us early and hope you stick around!

I don't really have any advice on how long to keep paperwork. I've heard 7 years for taxes, so that's what I do. Some things I keep forever, like a release of a mortgate, loan payoff, death, marriage, etc. Insurance I really only keep as long as the insurance coverage is current unless I have a big claim I want a record for.

I don't know if this is correct or not, it's just what I do. Maybe someone else can add something more. 

Exactly what I do on all as well.

Re: the taxes, 7 years, is what my accountant advises too.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KBEANS Your "sewing tin" win made me smile. I so can relate. I'm definitely one of those that likes to find "repurposing" for certain things...and often times that's a good thing to do.

But the tins in general made me relate...first of all, they make them so decorative to entice us! lol. 

I have often thought I'd be using tea cannisters for pens on my desk, or to grow kitchen herbs in, and various other things. 

Last year I tossed ones I'd kept for those purposes for several years, lurking in the back of my cabinet.

I do have some tins I have used for wrapping ribbons that come out with my Christmas decor, or a few other things. But if not immediately being used, they are being passed on. Maybe donated rather than thrown away if they are especially made to be decorative.

Baby steps! These urges to store/save just in case vs. repurposing, is a balance I'm always striving for!

Super Contributor

Thanks much to the advice on how long to keep paperwork. 7 years is what I have heard, too. As an overachiever, I have kept it longer and I will take more time this year to look at it!  Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to reading about everyone's efforts to declutter. 

Respected Contributor

@rnmom 

Thank you for your kind advice.  I tore out those pictures that I found particularly meaningful.  It made sense in the grand scheme of things.  I am at a stage where I won't take those pictures to hang in frames.  Since I need to accept that I will no longer have a classroom, getting g rid of "stuff" is something to accept.  Baby steps in this area.  I am vascilating between recycling the calendars or donating.  I can see these pictures in kids rooms and classrooms.

Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:

@rnmom 

Thank you for your kind advice.  I tore out those pictures that I found particularly meaningful.  It made sense in the grand scheme of things.  I am at a stage where I won't take those pictures to hang in frames.  Since I need to accept that I will no longer have a classroom, getting g rid of "stuff" is something to accept.  Baby steps in this area.  I am vascilating between recycling the calendars or donating.  I can see these pictures in kids rooms and classrooms.

teachers in my BuyNothing group are always looking for stuff, 

Respected Contributor

Well, I havent decluttered anything but I did make a point to cook up some ingredients this morning that I didnt want to go bad.  So, I made a main dish and dessert and I shared it with family members.  Later on tonight, I will make another dish since I had some filling of sorts left over.  This year, my journey will not only be to declutter physical stuff but also to clear out the pantry with ingredients that are just sitting around that I never get too.  I toss out too much so I will try and use as much as I can up. So, off to a good start and hopefully I can keep up the pace.

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear 

Where is this buy nothing group?  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jackthebear wrote:

also recommend looking for a Buy Nothing group near you,  it's a great way to get rid of stuff you don't want, someone else will take it. 

We have an off duty firemen group that will move one item or a houseful. Yesterday they came and removed a gigantic bar to one of their fellow firemens house. It was 30 years old and huge. I'm glad someone else will get good use out of it while opening up our living room. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I donated about 10 boxes of assorted things, clothing last month.  I plan on doing some serious shredding that I has piled up over the past 6 months.  

Maybe I will attack the broom closet one of these days and see what I can do with that.  One thing I did recently was go through some old cell phones and remove any photos.  The phones are ready to be tossed now.