Respected Contributor

Declutter 2022: What have you purged today?

Good morning and Happy New Year to all of my fellow purgers!

As promised, here is the new 2022 thread to encourage all of us to continue on our decluttering and purging journey!

For those that have been following along, I believe this will be the year 5 of this thread. Holy cow! Where does the time go?

For those that are new, this is where we all work to declutter and organize our homes so that they will be become the functional sanctuaries that we desire them to be. By posting our accomplishments it helps to give others ideas and encouragement as to how they can improve their environment too.

All purges count, big purges, small purges. Whether it's a whole house purge or just a dried up ink pen, any progress is better than nothing. It doesn't matter if it's donated, trashed, returned to the store, gifted to a friend, if it leaves the house, it counts. 

Unless we want our homes to become filled to the brim decluttering is a never ending journey, so let's go on the journey together. 

So come on in, post often, and let's start the journey to a less cluttered life! 

Welcome everyone!

Respected Contributor

Re: Declutter 2022: What have you purged today?

I will actually start by posting a few things that are leaving or have left my house. 

I had a couple of days off earlier this week so I wanted to get a small start before I went back to work Thursday.

I went thru our mud room closet and found a few items to donate: 2 winter coats, a hoddie and a fleece jacket.

I took down 2 2021 calendars and replaced them with new ones. 

Hubby got rid of a deep fryer that we don't need, we actually found a nicer one brand new in the box at a garage sale that he likes better. 

I got 2 new dog beds and am tossing one. 

Donating a window valence, a small desk planner, 2 t-shirts. 

Tossed some expired Benadryl that I found and yet another sock. 

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh - I am so happy to hear that everything went so well with your closing, it sounds like everything went off without a hitch and you are well on your way to a new adventure! Congratulations!

I am sure you are tired, and probably will be for a while. Moving is a big job for sure, but I hope that you love it once you are settled. 

Respected Contributor

@twins mom- I was actually sad to read about your decluttering your calendars and classroom supplies. It sounds like you really love those items if parting with them is giving you a heavy heart.

Do you need to get rid of it, or can you keep it?  Or do you just feel like you should get rid of it? 

The idea of decluttering is to keep what is useful or what brings us joy and if these items bring you joy, it's worth keeping them around. I wouldn't want you to get rid of anything you love.

I've gotten rid of a few old, sentimental items and now I wish that I hadn't. There's not much, maybe 2 things that stick in my mind that I wish I woud have kept.

I never would have even used either of them, they served no purpose, they were strictly sentimental, that's why I got rid of them. My life isn't any worse for having them out of the house, but I still think about them once in a while.

So I'm just saying, if it makes your heart that heavy, maybe you should just hang onto it for a bit until you're more sure. 

Respected Contributor

I love this thread and even though I do not post on it very often, I always read and get motivation and inspiration from those that do.  

I have been at a standstill lately, but will definitely get going soon.  The family member that I was helping is much better, thank God, and I have many of my belongings and clothing that need to be dealt with.  I have a serious issue with attaching memories and feelings with old items of clothing.  I have my old high school prom dresses and homecoming dresses...........and some old high school outfits...........  🙃🙃🙃🙃

All of these things are properly stored and all but really...........

Do I really want to leave all of this "stuff" for my girls or Mr. 4kitties to deal with?

Happy New Year to all of us and here is to new beginnings and getting rid of stuff that I truly do not need!🥂🥂🥂🥂

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

@rnmom  I haven't posted here in a while. I am always looking for tips

and recently joined a decluttering group. I don't think I will do this myself,

would take a while for me, but thought maybe others would be interested.

FB_IMG_1640726683455.jpg

Honored Contributor

I'm retired and finally donated all my suits.

I'm working on my spare room and basement. I lost a lot of weight and have 5 sizes of clothes boxed up. I'm going to donate all except the one size larger.  It's amazing what you collect over time. 

Honored Contributor

I gave 7 boxes to Purple Heart the beginning of December.  They needed winter clothes, so I found coats, sweaters and pants we don't wear anymore.  

Also Christmas decorations and miscellaneous things I no longer use.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Happy New Year, all!  

Let's hope it's a GOOD one~we ALL could use one!

I've certainly been at a standstill...and my home is in a bit of holiday disarray, as when I got out all my decor, instead of bringing boxes back up to outside storage, I kept it tucked in various rooms, and other things that are still in transition.

SO, yes...a clean slate, time to refresh...soon...today....taking a holiday, and right now blobbing out in pjs with a coffee. 🙂☕️

I still wonder HOW did I do all that decluttering in 2021, and still feel so FULL in this condo?! Ah...well that IS the mystery of stuff sometimes, isn't it?

Glad to see this thread again. Again, mentioning that Decluttering Calender I sometimes refer to, have been following her blog for years..  Beth Vargis's "My Simpler Life" 2022 Decluttering Calender. (Not sure they allow me to post the link here.)

I need to declutter a few pounds too! Good for you, @CalminHeart  for already shedding those unwanted pounds and clothing!

Have a great day, all~updates to come...big, small, baby steps, big steps....wishing us all a fresh start, a new year~health, peace, calm, and comfortable surroundings. 😌🏠

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our room addition is finally done so we purged some furniture, Knick nacks, papers, glassware and misc junk.  Now I'm on to the kitchen. Donated a crockpot, some hot pads, mandolin, pizza stone and that's just one cabinet.