Respected Contributor

Re: Declutter 2021: What have you purged today?

@4kitties wrote:

My youngest daughter came by today and went through several of the boxes of books in her old room!👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

She took a whole box with her, we threw some of her old papers into recycling, and I am so happy I could do a dance!  💃💃💃💃💃💃 There are still four more to go but we made a big improvement and I can be happy with that!  And we threw out the old hot pink coffee maker from her apartment when she was in college!  The carafe was broken and it is too old to replace it. 

I found a couple of old items in the deep freeze and tossed them.  I am not happy about that as I try to keep an eye on food items as I just hate to waste food.....😩😩😩😩

@4kitties - How awesome for you that you are getting your daughter's room cleaned out! Just imagine how great it will look when it is all done, definitely should be motivation to get it finished!

I am with you on the food, I totally hate wasting food if I don't have to. Luckily I have 4 dogs here, and now chickens too, so anything that we don't want to eat will gladly get eaten by some other animal here. 

Respected Contributor

Still no real decluttering here, it's just been too busy and too hot. I did give my sister a bunch of plastic bags from the grocery store, I usually just toss them but she donates them to a food bank and they really appreciate getting them.

I added one glass bowl to my donate pile. 

Tossed a few things that broke: a measuring cup, a watch, a glass. Recycled a magazine. 

Honored Contributor

Added 2 pairs of jeans, new with tags, for consignment and sending 2 pairs to Goodwill. 

I went through the office closet and pulled out the framed cross stitch that had been stored there.  6 are going to Goodwill, one for the trash, one undecided. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I just got home from Goodwill. I took 2 shopping bags full of framed cross stitch, some had been in our office closet and some I took off the wall.  I took a picture of each one.  I'm ok with them being gone.  I enjoyed doing them, had them for years and it was time to move them on.

2 pairs of jeans went with them and a few very small items. 

Trusted Contributor

Too hot outside, so I've been inside sorting through files and bookshelves. I've been busy shredding papers (and burned out my shredder in the process, requiring the purchase of a new one) but I did manage to gather paperback books for recycling, and filled a plastic tub with hardcover books to donate or sell to Half Price Books for pennies on the dollar.

Esteemed Contributor

Today's purge: set of 4 rimmed soup bowls. Can't remember the last time I used them. Will go to ReStore on Thursday. 

Removing them from the kitchen cabinet opened up a lot of space.

Honored Contributor

2 years after my husbands amputation, I am finally dealing with the huge box of medical supplies we had leftover.  

All the big $$ special order materials were given away immediately to someone we knew with poor insurance coverage, also healing from an amputation.  He was paying for some supplies out of pocket, and truly benefitted from what we gave away, which was enough to see him thru his healing process.   

My entire family has been given whatever supplies they didn't have, and I've made first aid kits for my husbands best friend, and the girl who does my hair!   Everyone's bonus gift was 2 pair of great medical scissors; we only wound up with 15!   

Am glad the big box is gone!

Honored Contributor

@RedTop,  what a great use you found for your supplies, which will be of great help to others!

Took more of the overflow from our yard sale off to donate. 

I have a project idea I got from decluttering guru Dana K. White:  she said, if you have too many framed photos sitting around, consider removing them from the frames, donating the frames, and putting your precious photos in a nice, flat album.

I've always had only a small, curated number of family photos, almost all black and white, around the house.  However, even these take up a fair bit of room.  So now I'm going to thin them out more, so that only the few choicest and most meaningful remain on display.   I got a handsome, slim album that I'll put the others in, for easy access.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell : check where you take donated items.My local ReStore no longer takes frames of any kind or size. I guess they no longer sell.

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

@Oznell : check where you take donated items.My local ReStore no longer takes frames of any kind or size. I guess they no longer sell.

@queendiva - interesting about the frames.

I take my things to Goodwill.  Fortunately, you just pop the trunk and they take the bag or box of things out and your drive quickly.....quickly away.  They don't have any signs up right now listing any items they won't take.  I always take things that are in sellable shape.  I guess no one prints and frames pictures anymore????