Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2021: What have you purged today?

When getting out some games, I found a baggie of dice and markers that I had no use for. They'll be in the garbage along with some undies that have seen better days!

Esteemed Contributor

@rnmom : Yes. If I can find a pair of pants that falls just a bit below the knee it's a keeper. Bermuda shorts are also good for me as an 11 or 12 inch inseam falls just below my (not attractive) knees. Last sumer I lived in midi and maxi length dresses. Cool, comfortable and just as good for around the house as going out in public. Not really work attire for most.

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@gidgetgh - I can't believe that you are still getting rid of so much stuff, I'd think that your place must be getting about empty by now!

I'm sorry to hear that you may not be moving, it seemed as though you were looking forward to it. I hope that everything works out for you. 

@rnmom I'm really trying to live a life with much fewer possessions.  Anything I want or use, I'd never get rid of, but the excess?  I don't want it.

I don't want to live in a house where I can't remember where things are and closets and cabinets and drawers and basements and attics and, in some cases, storage units are "groaning" with stuff.  I don't want to happen upon something I'd forgotten about in a random drawer.  It just isn't me. Never has been.  I know where absolutely everything is in this house.  And I live alone.  I don't say that to sound sad.  It is what it is.  Just how many things do I need?

I helped clean out my mother in laws house in 2004, decluttered our house when we moved in 2005, my parents house in 2016 and most of my late husbands things last summer and fall.  Guess what?  I'm next.  I hope to live for many more years, but I don't want my sister or her children to have excess to go through one day.  

While I won't be moving to the community I'd planned to (too much $$ for too little usable square footage- I cried. I was very disappointed) I still hope to move.  And I want the move to be as physically easy as it can be.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh : sorry about your Plan A to move: Completely understandable. I applaud you for making the right choice. Committing to a new build this year would not be good for many reasons, particularly the cost /sq. ft. as you indicated.

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

@gidgetgh : sorry about your Plan A to move: Completely understandable. I applaud you for making the right choice. Committing to a new build this year would not be good for many reasons, particularly the cost /sq. ft. as you indicated.

@queendiva - they're building 5 different floorplans.  I was able to walk through one of them in a community they built in the west side of our county.  The other 4?  You just have to take a leap of faith and build it after looking at a floorplan.  I'm not brave enough for that. What if it was built and I hated it?  So I was going to buy a new build, close by, the one was able to walk through in the other community even though I didn't love it.  I really felt like I was settling. The living room was tiny and....I mean this seriously...there was no room for the tv.  Their intent was for you to mount it over the fireplace, which I hate.  But even if I could live with that, the tiny living room was so narrow and the couch they had staged in the model was so close to the fireplace, you'd really have to tilt your head back to watch tv.  And the master bedroom was tiny.  And you had to pick 3 lot choices and they told me immediately that I wouldn't get my first 2....the builder is building spec houses on those and wouldn't give at all.  I had loved another model they had built in that other community and they're not building that floorplan here. In the end, I felt like I was making too many compromises and paying a premium price for those compromises. So, after I'd signed a letter of intent and had given them a refundable deposit, I backed out a few weeks later.  And cried.....like a baby.  Yet another disappointment. The location is absolutely perfect but the floorplans weren't. And now I feel stuck because there really is nothing else like that in my area.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh : Good for you for knowing that housing situation came with too many compromises. There's downsizing, and then there's wrongsizing.

I do believe that when the time is right , whenever that may be, the right home will be available to you. That was my experience. Until then, enjoy your home.

Honored Contributor

Our Goodwill stores are no longer taking any donations of clothing or shoes. Since so many people purged in a big way last year during the lockdowns, they are literally stacked to the ceilings with bags/ boxes they haven’t even opened. Luckily, I found a great place that comes and picks up clothing donations and you can choose the charity you want to get the proceeds. I have already started another bag of stuff. I am just getting out the spring/ summer things I bought to wear last year and some really look yucky to me now! I can’t return them, so will prob keep them and wear them around the house or to the grocery store. The highlight of some of my days.
Respected Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

@rnmom : Yes. If I can find a pair of pants that falls just a bit below the knee it's a keeper. Bermuda shorts are also good for me as an 11 or 12 inch inseam falls just below my (not attractive) knees. Last sumer I lived in midi and maxi length dresses. Cool, comfortable and just as good for around the house as going out in public. Not really work attire for most.

@queendiva - I think that those dresses are always so cute on everyone else but whenever I try to put one on I think that it looks weird on me because I NEVER wear them. Maybe if I can find just one inexpensively I'll pick up just one to try. 

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh - Again, I'm so sorry to hear that you aren't able to move into the community that you had planned to. I hope that you can find somewhere else suitable soon.

I know where probably 90% of the items are in this house, which I think is pretty good considering I have a husband and 2 teenage boys. There are some of their items that I don't know where they are obviously, but for the main household items I can pretty much find everything.

Our house is a bit more filled that I would like it to be right now, but I'm still the one that does the vast  majority of the decluttering and organizing so I know where everything is.

Like you, I don't generally like to keep a lot of excess or items that aren't being used, but I will admit, I have been hanging onto more lately due to the shortages we've had over the last year. I'm just never sure when I will go to a store and something won't be available. That's never been an issue before in my life, but it is now, so I'm definitely keeping more than I used to "just in case". Hopefully it won't last too long. 

Someday, when the kids are out on their own (quite a few years from now) we will be able to downsize quite a bit but not for a while. So I'm doing what I can under my circumstances right now. I guess that's all any of us can do huh?

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh good for you for not jumping into a purchase that wasn't right for you. We'll be touring three model condos, all with two bedrooms. They are stand alone condos with basements. Not that we are ready to move, but we want to see what a person can get around here staying in the $300's. 

Staying busy with outside projects so my purging has been on hiatus. When we get the hot/humid weather in a few months, I'll spend some time inside going through my closet.